Starlink

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Zoom internet speed requirements
According to Zoom’s website, these are the internet bandwidth requirements for different kinds of Zoom calls.

For 1:1 video calling:

• 600kbps (up/down) for high quality video
  • 1.2 Mbps (up/down) for 720p HD video
  • Receiving 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
  • Sending 1080p HD video requires 1.8 Mbps (up/down)
As stated, on a GOOD day, he might get 1 down, about 256k up, so no, Zoom doesn't work. Neither does Skype, Google Hangouts (which is shit anyway), or any other video app.

His own telecom has stated that he never should have been allowed service across DSL because he is simply too far from the hub. IIRC he's about 3000-3500' beyond their max range. When it rains he loses internet. That's how fragile and crappy it is.

Edit: somewhere back in the "post your internet speed" thread I added a screen cap of his speeds. Not really worth digging through to find it.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
i want to live there.
I believe it is for sale, again, maybe.

110 acres, two houses (main house has 200 amp service), storage building, garage, workshop/dog house, etc. 300 yard shooting range, lots of fire trails for ATVs/SxS.

*There are photos of the range in the shooting thread(s).

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
two. two mbps?

giphy.gif

Yeah, but it's all that's needed. Coming from 56k, it's nice. It streams netflix and Hulu, zoom calls. It just sucks if you need to upload something, but that rarely happens.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I need this for my dads. He’s the intended target for this service since he’s so rural. His DSL is at dual-up speeds.

Been waiting a few years for it go public. But fuck is $100 steep, plus the buy-in for the hardware, which I think is $500.
Imagine trying to recoup the costs of launch rockets into space just about every month for the last several years to get this "off the ground", then realize that $99 a month aint so bad.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I'm sending this to my buddy. He's in a crap internet zone and could use it big time.

For me, I get more bandwidth cheaper from Comcast. Come on Elon, beat Comcast price so I can dump them once and for all.
Assuming your buddy is down by you in florida he may have to wait a while. The system only has 100% coverage on northern latitudes right now

Reactions: Yaj Yak

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Starlink: "We'll soon be able to provide high-speed, low-latency internet virtually anywhere in the world"

TCG Ballers: "100 dollars?!?!"
Well, to make my point, again. To me $100/mo is fair for what they're going to be offering. For some that is going to be a dramatic cost increase. They'll have to weigh whether the new provider option is worth the increase in cost. Simple as that. Going back to my former example, my dad's [incredibly slow] DSL adds $20 or so onto his telecom charge. So his cost would go up 500% (20 x 5 =100).

I've already told him that once it is available to him, if he is still residing at his current location, that I would covre 50% of the monthly fee, to ease the burden since he's on a limited budget.

What would be great is if they offer a tiered pricing plan. Like lower speeds for less money. Does he need upwards of 100Mbps service? No, he'd be fine at 50Mbps, or even 25, as it would still be a dramatic increase from ~1.5 - 2Mbps (256Kbps up) he currently has. And that would allow me to add another form of staying in contact, video calls, which his service can't handle due to the low bandwidth.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
What would be great is if they offer a tiered pricing plan. Like lower speeds for less money. Does he need upwards of 100Mbps service? No, he'd be fine at 50Mbps, or even 25, as it would still be a dramatic increase from ~1.5 - 2Mbps (256Kbps up) he currently has. And that would allow me to add another form of staying in contact, video calls, which his service can't handle due to the low bandwidth.

That'll probably be an option. What they're offering now is primarily for more tech-oriented people who want the speed and don't mind paying for being an early adopter.

They've also mentioned structuring pricing based upon local cost of living. People in Africa won't be paying the same as people in Northern California.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Also, you said he gets 1 mbps down on a good day. So he would be getting 100-150x the speed for 5x the price. I know he may not care about that, but all of the people I see posting in the Starlink subreddit are thrilled about it.

I see it as a bargain. I pay the same now for symmetrical gig fiber, which is clearly the better deal...But I'm also stuck in the burbs. I want to buy a place in the middle of nowhere and work remotely from there on a regular basis, and Starlink is a godsend for that.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
im at $82 $85 (sweet $3 additional comcrap) i pay for 100 i think but just goooogle tested at 228 down 11 up

Based on your speeds and price I bet you’re paying for 200/10. Poke around in the offers, I had the same and found the same deal for $73.

I’d have to see what we’re paying for dish at our lake house. If we could just have wifi and use our individual Netflix/Hulu accounts and actually have internet at the house to stream Spotify and whatnot that would be worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info