TV Star Trek Discovery

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
CBS is being sued because they allegedly stole the idea for the instant jump technology from a guy named Anas Abdin who has been working on a game called Tardigrades for years. The show's method of propulsion is remarkably similar to the game's ideas. The game has been shown and widely discussed on youtube and Steam for years.

CBS hired a high power legal team who tried to get the case dismissed. Judge said No and granted discovery to Anas so his legal people can have access to the private info of CBS writers who are also on Steam. Their histories will be looked at closely to see if they visited the Tardigrades pages and/or discussed the Tardigrade ideas.

IMO, it's obvious the similarities between the game ideas and the TV show ideas are pretty damning for CBS. If the Tardigrades creator can afford to push the trial, he may end up with a large check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2YfDcHmt8k

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Could we see more time travel and an extension of the temporal cold war that appeared in Star Trek Enterprise? Will Daniels come back? Temporal cold war IS Star Trek canon.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I watched the first two episodes.

Mild spoilers ahead...

Capt. is a robot. Only explanation I have for her stilted speech and weird language patterns.

Main character is a Vulcan, a human, a Vulcan, a human. Nobody knows for sure. She seems to be able to go from logic to emotion at will.

Science officer is a wimp. Reminds me of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space.

This is another series where the spaceship can't seem to stay in one piece. For a peaceful future human race, we sure do seem to get our ships blown up a lot.

Speaking of stilted speech, the Klingons seem to be 10 year olds trying hard to slowwwwly enunciate the Klingon language. NOBODY TALKS THAT SLOWLY!

My biggest peave with this new series. They don't understand the Prime Directive. It's the Prime Directive and they don't get it. SMH.

My 2nd biggest peave is CBS is going to kill this show with their stupid on demand or whatever it's called. Did they ever stop to think that Trekkies are geeks and every one of them will watch the series on Kodi or some other outlet that doesn't require signing up to CBS All BS.

I give the show a year or two unless CBS drastically changes how they are handling the series.

a rare time i'll be agreeing on flyn with some things.

while apparently not available on US netflix, via my work/japan connected VPN i was able to watch all 3 seasons (which i'll admit to watching in a fairly short amount of time) - was ok filler, i guess.

my favorite was the next generation; i have seen every episode, and i'm pretty sure i recall almost every fellow enginerd at UIUC having done the same. i may be romanticizing something from childhood that i really haven't revisited since then, although it seems a testament to the series that it went on as long as it did, is still widely liked, and they are even bringing back picard now. i have not seen a single episode from it for over 20 years myself now though.

iirc - which i may not - i thought plots and episodes generally were self-contained and resolved a new story or encounter of something interesting fairly quickly (1-2 episodes?) while most story arcs were not that long or came and went (borg encounters)? the characters (which usually draw us in the most, right?) all seemed far more interesting as well. whether race/species and characters/culture/history attributed to them, as well as individual characters and their stories/angles/background/etc.

discovery seemed a lot more like 'the michael burnham show' to me. as flyn notes, the back and forth with her vulcan upbringing seemed like maybe there could be an interesting angle to it, but after a few episodes she was 'simply human' anyway, and there was nothing about it that made her or it interesting, it just connected some relationships. but it ends up being "who cares?" just like other parts of the show. romulans and vulcans were actually from the same genetic pool then came back together? this is explained at some point but is also a "and? who cares?" kind of thing. the plot wasn't around strange encounters of curious things in space or interesting culture/societies, but some infighting among known populations, and i didn't really find it that interesting. most every problem was fairly quickly and easily solved with some techno/science bs deus ex machina. the races/species were all quite humanoid and none particularly interesting - just hey they all look a bit different for the most part. it also seemed like the show was attempted to be a little more 'action oriented' vs. cerebral.

the characters were pretty boring to me. at some point i remember people big deal'ing something in the show about it being too woke or lecturing about some inclusiveness - i assume the trans character - but i think anyone who get coservatriggered by this would be an idiot. there was nothing to big deal, the bigger problem with the show is that the inclusive characters were just as meaningless as the other characters. i actually liked certain characters on TNG, would miss them if they were gone or died or moved on to another show, could watch an episode dedicated to them, could vaguely recall some of their personality traits and such to this day; however on discovery, i'm not sure how many if any i'd miss if they died off or whatever. in a few months i'll probably barely remember much about any of them. there really doesn't seem to be anything about the trans character, story or individual wise for example, that is particularly interesting. it's not like they had some deep interesting character that hey, happened to be trans; it was more like token in south park but not as a joke. here's the trans character. here's a bunch of gay characters. apparently the most interesting thing about them: they are trans or gay. i don't think real people of any sexual orientation want this to be the most interesting thing displayed about them. i can understand the desire to show the inclusivity in hollywood/the future/etc/etc/etc, but it shouldn't come at the cost of shitty characters/character development. there was an AWS meetup in chicago, and i decide whether to attend meetups by the content of what is going to be discussed. this one meetup was advertising that all the speakers would be LGBTQ+ etc. but not a word about the content. i didn't end up spending the time to go, because i want to hear someone speak on something interesting; i'm not looking to hear someone talk about a mystery topic because hey, they happened to be gay.

i thought the series fully wrapped up, although it looks like a season 4 may be in development now. i'd watch it, but similarly as now really, just as background filler. i really hope picard is much better. just give me those TNG writers and not these discovery ones please. if this series wasn't riding on the star trek name/brand/universe i don't think it would have made it this far and been pretty forgettable. there were a few comedic moments that did give me a good laugh. she was a bit over the top, but the original captain i wasn't feeling but her character later was more fun as well.

if you are a star trek fan but haven't seen this show, IMHO, no need to rush to do so either.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
As much as people rag on Enterprise, Enterprise is a much better show. And that's saying something because for the most part its middling.

TNG was episodic by nature, almost everything resolves by the end of the episode. Sometimes characters learn lessons, or reference previous events. TNG usually at most did a 2 parter for the finale/premier. TNG season 1 is terrible, most of season 2 is terrible with some excellent episodes. Its not really until season 3 when TNG takes off and becomes the series its revered as today. Mostly that is because during Seasons 1, and 2, Roddenberry was VERY involved and he wanted human to be the Utopian society. As he released control the directors and producers started writing the main characters with flaws, and it lead to some internal conflicts which became more interesting stores.

ST:DS9 is where the large season log story arc's happen, The Dominion War is great. DS9 for me got so much better when the Defiant was introduced, before it could be boring and slow at times. As a Captain Sisko definitely was willing to get his hands dirty, the most famous is when he goes over the line and ordered a biological attack against a Maquis settlement.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
As much as people rag on Enterprise, Enterprise is a much better show. And that's saying something because for the most part its middling.

TNG was episodic by nature, almost everything resolves by the end of the episode. Sometimes characters learn lessons, or reference previous events. TNG usually at most did a 2 parter for the finale/premier. TNG season 1 is terrible, most of season 2 is terrible with some excellent episodes. Its not really until season 3 when TNG takes off and becomes the series its revered as today. Mostly that is because during Seasons 1, and 2, Roddenberry was VERY involved and he wanted human to be the Utopian society. As he released control the directors and producers started writing the main characters with flaws, and it lead to some internal conflicts which became more interesting stores.

ST:DS9 is where the large season log story arc's happen, The Dominion War is great. DS9 for me got so much better when the Defiant was introduced, before it could be boring and slow at times. As a Captain Sisko definitely was willing to get his hands dirty, the most famous is when he goes over the line and ordered a biological attack against a Maquis settlement.

maybe because of the same era and general style overall, but i would say i enjoyed DS9 next most, despite that it was an outpost that didn't move anywhere.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
So, Star Trek Discovery drops Netflix a couple days before the new season and signs with Paramount +. Outside of America networks will not receive the new season until next year. Corporate greed to the max? Will they push the outside of America viewers to go to pirate sites or will they wait for the pay wall with Paramount +? Will American viewers sign up with Paramount+?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
As if Star Trek Discovery didn't push the woke agenda enough, with all the homo's, lesbians and trans crap, now they do THIS.

Stacey Abrams Makes Cameo As President of United Earth On ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

giphy.gif

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Star Trek has a long history of social issues episodes.

+1

As if Star Trek Discovery didn't push the woke agenda enough, with all the homo's, lesbians and trans crap, now they do THIS.

Stacey Abrams Makes Cameo As President of United Earth On ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

giphy.gif

the problem with the show isn't that it has lesbians or trans in it, if that triggers you then the bigger problem is with your brain

the real problem with the show is that they are feel like lame 1-dimensional token characters, eg. "that's the gay one" or hey wee need to write a trans one into the show, instead of some interesting character who happens to be gay

Reactions: SaturdaysGS
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info