Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Using a production car on street tires and running on non-race fuel, SSC averaged a mind-boggling 316.11 mph (508.73 km/h) following two runs in opposite directions, one at 301.07 mph (484.53 km/h) and the other at 331.15 mph (532.93 km/h). Still not impressed? Well, Oliver Webb said it was “still pulling well” and “wasn’t running out of steam yet,” adding it could’ve gone even faster if not for the crosswinds.

Reactions: v6buicks

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I want to see a full throttle pull from zero.

20201019_150016.jpg

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
This video is strange. Its like he took a break halfway through the run to just coast a bit, then nailed it again. But I don't one second believe that 331mph is its true top speed. The way that was still accelerating I think it would top out around 340.

Right around 190mph he just takes a short break and holds it just under 200. Then drops the hammer at 200 and the thing sails past 250 faster than a Sailboat with a Ferrari engine.

Reactions: Jon01

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
He uses maths to break down what the average speeds would have been between certain points in the run, and the maths dont quite add up, and he uses the vid of the koenigsegg run to compare (since they did the run on the exact same road and started in the exact same spot) and there are points in the road that the egg hits well before the ssc, even tho the egg is showing a slower speed, and he also breaks down the gear ratios in the trans along w/ the tires that were used, and everything all comes to the conclusion that it would have only been doing about 280mph at its max speed

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
ohhh shit

On Wednesday, SSC issued a statement admitting that the onboard video allegedly depicting the 331-mph run was "substantially incorrect," capping a whirlwind few days in which Dewetron, the company who supplied the GPS speed recording technology, distanced itself from SSC and denied SSC's claim that it had "validated" the record attempt.

In a nutshell, SSC claims its media partner for the event somehow released two different cockpit videos from the day—at least one of which was "not an accurate representation of what happened on October 10"—and that there were issues in syncing the data log with the video feed.

Confusing, I know. This doesn't really address the math people have done using landmarks on the road prove the Tuatara was actually traveling slower than the claimed speed throughout the clip, or the fact that the laptop screen seen in the passenger seat in the video shows the same record-breaking numbers as the overlay.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: LOL!! This type of Ego and Reputation Destruction could absolutely obliterate any kind of trust or beliefs people may have for SSC.

What an absolute disaster fitting for 2020.

For starters – and you can see it easily for yourself at around the 0:25-mark above – the GPS speed data appears to show the car doing more than 20 mph (32 km/h) before it even starts moving. But when YouTubers Shmee150 and Misha Charoudin, among many others, started digging further, things got a whole lot weirder.

Since the Tuatara run was done on the same bit of road as the Agera record, it's possible to put those videos side by side and clearly see, thanks to landmarks passed, that the Agera is going faster. Analysis of the SSC engine and gearbox ratios appeared to suggest it was literally incapable of doing the claimed top speed in sixth gear, by a long shot. Measuring the distance between known landmarks and measuring the Tuatara's time between them produced an average speed lower than the GPS data was reading at any point over that distance.

And things continued to pile up; in another 360-degree video, a helicopter can clearly be seen out the right side passenger window keeping pace with the car up to around 1:17, when the car is approaching 200 mph (322 km/h). This helicopter, an Airbus H125, has a fast cruise speed of 162 mph (260 km/h) – and a "never exceed speed" of 178 mph (287 km/h) that no sane pilot would get too close to, even without a big stabilized camera hanging off the front of the aircraft. There's no way that chopper could keep up with a car doing 200 mph.

SSC went into a kind of damage control, first saying the company that produced the video had messed up sync points with the GPS data, and secondly saying that Dewetron, the GPS speed tracking manufacturer, had validated the speed record.

This appeared to be news to Dewetron, which quickly put out its own statement saying it had, "neither approved nor validated any test results for the world record attempt by SSC Tuatara." What's more, Dewetron indicated that the equipment in question is highly sensitive to setup and calibration, and not only was there no Dewetron representative present to oversee the SSC run, but no employee of the company had been consulted with regard to setup in the lead-up to the attempt. So even if Dewetron received all the GPS data, they'd never be able to validate it.

Finally, SSC's founder and CEO Jerod Shelby released the three-minute "personal statement" below, more or less admitting he couldn't answer any of the pressing questions around this run: "The more we looked, the more we tried to analyze, the more we were concerned there were doubts in the relationship between the video and the GPS. I took that very seriously."

Reactions: IDAFC21

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
ohhh shit

I do something similar with my hockey buddies......I have a radar in the basement to measure how fast I can shoot the puck. When I want to juice my numbers I just switch the machine to read in KM/H........it pumps my dick up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info