3800 SS IC

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
ok. I have been doing a LOT of research on intercoolers. I was leaning toward the New Intense one. I was flipping through ZZp's site again. I didnt see it before. The SS IC. They say it works, and so do many other people. for 550 you cant beat that. comes with everything to put it on. Does anyone have this on here? did it help in the quarter at all?? What do you think of it? how hard is it top put in? how long did it take?

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
The SS IC is a nice Intercooler, it does what it is supposed to do! If you are looking at getting something that is not overkill or huge than this is the route to go. It is also half the cost of all the full size ones out there, so if the financial part plays a factor than this works best.

I have to disagree with this statement:
dropping .1 or .2 in pulley size
Because I have seen a number of cars with this IC on there and they were running minor mods and went from using 3.4 pulleys all the way down to 3.0 and some 2.8 and receiveing no KR whatsoever. So dont be fooled that you cannot see power.

Overall you need to evaluate how far you plan to mod your car and find what setup is best suiting to your needs. The SS IC is a nice little intercooler and you will be happy with the results. Of course it will not compare to the full size intercooler, but neither does the cost...

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
Originally posted by zeez gtp@Jan 27 2005, 10:06 PM
ss ic = you get what you pay for. a full ic does get a little pricey. plus if you don't want to run cut up fuel lines, the prj's are almost 400 i think, or spacers from intense are 250.  full ic's make lots of power, but with lots of power come other problems.  it's just all what you want to do.
[snapback]69169[/snapback]​

well. I dont think I am going to set any records with my car. It is my daily driver....and it is the newest. I blew the motor in my last gp 4 times and the trany 3. I dont want to go through that again. I may go with the SS IC, and get some more mods on it and call it. I wouldnt mind running a 12.4 or below...but. I have 2 goals I am shooting for.

1. Beat my friends 99 Trans am(just has an exhaust)
2. Beat another GTP here in town.....which at the end of last year..he and I were side by side.
3.....welll beat a couple other people.

I am going to think long and hard about this tonight. I might place the order in the morning. If I get it would I be able to enlist some volunteers to help put it on. I buy the beer....and food. Kinda want to keep it hidden as well.....which can be accomplished with this kit. Other people I have talked to run this with a 2.8..and have no KR.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Jan 27 2005, 10:53 PM
well.  I dont think I am going to set any records with my car.  It is my daily driver....and it is the newest.  I blew the motor in my last gp 4 times and the trany 3.  I dont want to go through that again.  I may go with the SS IC, and get some more mods on it and call it.  I wouldnt mind running a 12.4 or below...but.  I have 2 goals I am shooting for.

1.  Beat my friends 99 Trans am(just has an exhaust)
2. Beat another GTP here in town.....which at the end of last year..he and I were side by side.
3.....welll  beat a couple other people.

I am going to think long and hard about this tonight.  I might place the order in the morning.  If I get it would I be able to enlist some volunteers to help put it on.  I buy the beer....and food.  Kinda want to keep it hidden as well.....which can be accomplished with this kit. Other people I have talked to run this with a 2.8..and have no KR.

Hey Jacob,

If you want to run a 2.8" pulley with absolutely 0kr my suggestion would be to just plain skip the SSIC and go with the Wbody or ZZP full IC's.

The SSIC's main purpose is to quench knock for people who are getting high amounts of kr with larger pullies (ie 3.2-3.4"). It was not made for lowering your pulley size, even Zooomer told me this when he was installing my ZZP IC.

First off, The SSIC core will probably not be large enough to cool the intake temps for you to run a 2.8" pulley as a daily.

Second, alot of the guys on clubgp who are running 3" pullies and lower who have SSIC's have alot of corresponding mods like cam, headers, etc. Which help quench knock also...

I can guarantee you, with the larger intercoolers you will be able to run a 2.8" daily with 0kr with minimal mods, and you will be also be able to advance your timing somewhat depending on what additional mods you have.

I run a 3" pulley, and see 0 kr with full timing on my DHP (around 15.5-16*). I will be adding more timing and will be dropping down to a 2.8" pulley for this summer, once I get tuning squared away.

It is most definitely worth it IMHO to spend the extra 400$ and get either the Wbody or the ZZP full IC. You won't regret the purchase one bit!

Take care,

Joel

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
well I have the cam(not installed), I am just saving for the heads. I am wanting everything to also apear stock(no mods to fuel lines) I have ......I just have to think about this.

Originally posted by jk99gtp+Jan 27 2005, 11:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-GTPPWR
@Jan 27 2005, 10:53 PM
well.  I dont think I am going to set any records with my car.  It is my daily driver....and it is the newest.   I blew the motor in my last gp 4 times and the trany 3.  I dont want to go through that again.  I may go with the SS IC, and get some more mods on it and call it.  I wouldnt mind running a 12.4 or below...but.  I have 2 goals I am shooting for.

1.  Beat my friends 99 Trans am(just has an exhaust)
3.....welll   beat a couple other people.

I am going to think long and hard about this tonight.  I might place the order in the morning.  If I get it would I be able to enlist some volunteers to help put it on.  I buy the beer....and food.  Kinda want to keep it hidden as well.....which can be accomplished with this kit. Other people I have talked to run this with a 2.8..and have no KR.

Hey Jacob,

If you want to run a 2.8" pulley with absolutely 0kr my suggestion would be to just plain skip the SSIC and go with the Wbody or ZZP full IC's.

The SSIC's main purpose is to quench knock for people who are getting high amounts of kr with larger pullies (ie 3.2-3.4"). It was not made for lowering your pulley size, even Zooomer told me this when he was installing my ZZP IC.

First off, The SSIC core will probably not be large enough to cool the intake temps for you to run a 2.8" pulley as a daily.

Second, alot of the guys on clubgp who are running 3" pullies and lower who have SSIC's have alot of corresponding mods like cam, headers, etc. Which help quench knock also...

I can guarantee you, with the larger intercoolers you will be able to run a 2.8" daily with 0kr with minimal mods, and you will be also be able to advance your timing somewhat depending on what additional mods you have.

I run a 3" pulley, and see 0 kr with full timing on my DHP (around 15.5-16*). I will be adding more timing and will be dropping down to a 2.8" pulley for this summer, once I get tuning squared away.

It is most definitely worth it IMHO to spend the extra 400$ and get either the Wbody or the ZZP full IC. You won't regret the purchase one bit!

Take care,

Joel
[snapback]69176[/snapback]​
[/b]

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Jan 28 2005, 12:56 AM
well...how much would you have to buy..on top of the big IC, just to make it work?  fuel rails, what else???? not to be rude...just tryn to figure every possible option. 

I am impressed with the 13.2 with those few items....and this has got me wondering how the SS would do as well.
[snapback]69197[/snapback]​
It would have been 12's but I was only commanding 14 - 15 degrees of timing that evening. D'oh! You can braze material onto your stock fuel rails and 95% of people would be none the wiser.

F

fastcash

Originally posted by GTPPWR@Jan 28 2005, 12:56 AM
well...how much would you have to buy..on top of the big IC, just to make it work?  fuel rails, what else???? not to be rude...just tryn to figure every possible option. 

I am impressed with the 13.2 with those few items....and this has got me wondering how the SS would do as well.

look at the trap speed....he was easily in the twelves if he knew how to drive :p

j/k mike

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by fastcash420+Jan 28 2005, 11:07 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-GTPPWR
@Jan 28 2005, 12:56 AM

look at the trap speed....he was easily in the twelves if he knew how to drive :p

j/k mike
[snapback]69265[/snapback]​
[/b]
Owwwwwwyyyy. I was only trapping 102 - 103mph that night with you guys. I was as surprised as anyone else that it pulled 13.2 under those conditions with that timing no less.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info