3800 Spun bearing = ticking noise???

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Not my cars, but my buddie's car.

He started having a ticking noise... shop diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter... so they put new lifters in, hardened pushrods and zzp 1.8 rocker arms.and required springs and such).. after they got it back together it was still making noise, but they told him it just needed to be driven (pump the lifters up)

Now.... for a couple miles I can see this being the case (though they should pump up pretty quickly after starting it up for the first time)

He was driving his car last night when he heard a noise, and smoke started coming from his engine bay...

He says he had 2 engine fires, one in back one up front... and there was oil all over as the dipstick popped up... now this sounds like excessive blow by... oil got pushed out hit the headers and started smoking

Now he says it's making a loud knocking noise ... from his description sounds like rod knock...

So my question is.. does this theory sound feasible?
Car has a spun bearing (since no oil pressure gauge on GPs he couldn't see an oil drop)... he had them do an oil change so we don't have the filter to cut open...

I'[m thinking it was originally a spun bearing, he caught it early but now having driven it again the piston wore a groove in the cylinder wall , allowed excessive blow by, which caused the oil to spit out...

But I'm not sure if a spun bearing can make a noise that could be misdiagnosed as a collapsed lifter (what the shop told him it was)

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
Originally posted by horist@Sep 24 2005, 09:32 PM
Not my cars, but my buddie's car.

He started having a ticking noise... shop diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter... so they put new lifters in, hardened pushrods and zzp 1.8 rocker arms.and required springs and such).. after they got it back together it was still making noise, but they told him it just needed to be driven (pump the lifters up)

Now.... for a couple miles I can see this being the case (though they should pump up pretty quickly after starting it up for the first time)

He was driving his car last night when he heard a noise, and smoke started coming from his engine bay...

He says he had 2 engine fires, one in back one up front... and there was oil all over as the dipstick popped up...  now this sounds like excessive blow by... oil got pushed out hit the headers and started smoking

Now he says it's making a loud knocking noise ... from his description sounds like rod knock...

So my question is.. does this theory sound feasible?
Car has a spun bearing (since no oil pressure gauge on GPs he couldn't see an oil drop)... he had them do an oil change so we don't have the filter to cut open...

I'[m thinking it was originally a spun bearing,  he caught it early but now having driven it again the piston wore a groove in the cylinder wall , allowed excessive blow by, which caused the oil to spit out...

But I'm not sure if a spun bearing can make a noise that could be misdiagnosed as a collapsed lifter (what the shop told him it was)
[snapback]98819[/snapback]​

Sounds like he could be pressurising the crankcase with his supercharger due to either a hole in the piston or bad rings. When you look at the valve covers can you see the gaskets hanging out like they were pushed out from under the cover (l67's are good for this when they blow a hole in the piston under boost).

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by FlyinGTP@Sep 27 2005, 08:05 PM

Sounds like he could be pressurising the crankcase with his supercharger due to either a hole in the piston or bad rings.  When you look at the valve covers can you see the gaskets hanging out like they were pushed out from under the cover (l67's are good for this when they blow a hole in the piston under boost).
[snapback]99069[/snapback]​

matt's cousin ... er mark right? :p

Mike, IM me when you're on AIM next....

originally he had ticking ... shop diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter.... after a new valvetrain he stilll had ticking .... that's what I'm not sure about.....

the blow by he had that caused the fire.... I'm sure it's either rings or a blown piston (prolly rings) .....

IM me regardless :p

... at this point it's definetly not PCV related ..... :( the blow buy he's experiencing now isn't PCV related.... he's blowing air past the piston

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by horist@Sep 29 2005, 11:42 AM
well he just called and left a message...  #6 and #3 pistons are now in multiple pieces...
[snapback]99228[/snapback]​

What were his mods?? Was he seeing any KR?? Was he trying to put a 3.2 pulley on with not enough supporting mods like some of our other members?? :lolsign:

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by Fish+Sep 29 2005, 01:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-horist
@Sep 29 2005, 11:42 AM
well he just called and left a message...   #6 and #3 pistons are now in multiple pieces...

What were his mods?? Was he seeing any KR?? Was he trying to put a 3.2 pulley on with not enough supporting mods like some of our other members?? :lolsign:
[snapback]99239[/snapback]​
[/b]

He had a 3.4" pully, air box and DHP PCM. he was doing some spirited driving one night and the car suddenly lost power and started making a ticking noise...

He brought it to a shop, they diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter. I'm guessing since they had the hads off they cleaned the valves and such up as well (I would hope!) ... so he had them put new lifters in , hardened pushrods, and 1.8 rocker arms.

Shop called ZZP a few times because they weren't sure how to install the rockers, after the install the car was still making a ticking noise, shop called ZZP , ZZP said it's not right and that they need to pull the valve covers off again to make sure everything is fine w/the rocker arms... well I guess the shop didn't want to do that so they called my buddy up and told him it was ready and he could pick it up...

They told him that the ticking noise would go away (granted, when you put new lifters in it may take a few mins to fully pump them up but it shouldn't take that long at all!) , and to baby it for 200-500 miles... so he picked it up, was driving on 94 w/cruise control, ran into traffic, finally when traffic cleared he started accelerating (says he didn't enter boost) and then boom... saw smoke from under his hood, he pulled over and found the dip stick up and oil all over....

Not sure on the knock retard... he doesn't have a scanner.

FlyinGTP

Regular
Apr 25, 2008
Elk Grove
Originally posted by horist+Sep 29 2005, 01:22 PM-->
Originally posted by Fish@Sep 29 2005, 01:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-horist
@Sep 29 2005, 11:42 AM
well he just called and left a message...   #6 and #3 pistons are now in multiple pieces...

[snapback]99239[/snapback]​

He had a 3.4" pully, air box and DHP PCM. he was doing some spirited driving one night and the car suddenly lost power and started making a ticking noise...

He brought it to a shop, they diagnosed it as a collapsed lifter. I'm guessing since they had the hads off they cleaned the valves and such up as well (I would hope!) ... so he had them put new lifters in , hardened pushrods, and 1.8 rocker arms.

Shop called ZZP a few times because they weren't sure how to install the rockers, after the install the car was still making a ticking noise, shop called ZZP , ZZP said it's not right and that they need to pull the valve covers off again to make sure everything is fine w/the rocker arms... well I guess the shop didn't want to do that so they called my buddy up and told him it was ready and he could pick it up...

They told him that the ticking noise would go away (granted, when you put new lifters in it may take a few mins to fully pump them up but it shouldn't take that long at all!) , and to baby it for 200-500 miles... so he picked it up, was driving on 94 w/cruise control, ran into traffic, finally when traffic cleared he started accelerating (says he didn't enter boost) and then boom... saw smoke from under his hood, he pulled over and found the dip stick up and oil all over....

Not sure on the knock retard... he doesn't have a scanner.
[snapback]99244[/snapback]​
[/b]

Doesn't surprise me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info