🔧 BUILD 1984 Ford LTD Wagon 4.8L 78/75 Turbo 4L80E Build

General Information

It didn't just feel right, not having an 80s shitbox. There has just been a void in my heart that I couldn't fill with new cars. Since my recent mishap with my Mustang, there was an open spot in the stable. I do have a new DD, but that's another thread for another day.

Saw this gem of a vehicle on the BookFace, only a short 4.5 hour drive up in Wisconsin. Thing looked pretty clean in the pictures so I figured I'd check it out. Talked the fiance into the drive, somehow.

I got up there and it was even cleaner than in the pictures. The interior is like a time capsule. It's just about Mint, no cracks, no breaks, 100% original and unharmed. Only downside is that it is red. Although, the ugly color kind of fits the ugly (read: awesome) car.

It's a 1984 Ford LTD Wagon. It's basically a Mustang Wagon. It sits in the fox chassis, and pretty much all the parts are interchangeable. It had a little bit of surface rust here and there, and then some rust on the bottom of the driver side doors. Nothing that really concerned me.The paint seems like it may be original. Can't totally tell, but looks like it.

It has a 3.8L V6 which makes a blistering 120HP (new, this one probably makes considerably less). It has a 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. The car runs surprisingly well, and transmission shifts silky smooth. It felt like it ran a little bit choppy on decel, but nothing that really concerned me. The car made thr 4.5 hour drive from middle of nowhere Wisconsin no problem.

I took one picture myself, the rest are from the ad. Will add more pictures tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Mook Mook already made the "how long til you sell it after doing nothing with it joke" so save yourself the time :rofl:

20200705_154450.jpeg

20200705_223738.jpeg

20200705_223756.jpeg

20200705_223722.jpeg

20200705_223812.jpeg

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I seriously can't decide what I wanna do for a powerplant for this thing.

Like I feel there isn't a huge difference in price between a Coyote, SBF, or LS setup. It's all the ancillary parts that are needed for the swap that get out of control.

Like I could build a 300hp SBF for the cheap and it fits right in as is, but in order to make decent power, I'd have to do a proper build, which puts it into coyote price territory. And what fun is 300hp n/a, especially coming from ~900hp on boost.

I also wanna keep it automatic because I love the column shift and don't wanna hack a hole into the trans tunnel.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I seriously can't decide what I wanna do for a powerplant for this thing.

Like I feel there isn't a huge difference in price between a Coyote, SBF, or LS setup. It's all the ancillary parts that are needed for the swap that get out of control.

Like I could build a 300hp SBF for the cheap and it fits right in as is, but in order to make decent power, I'd have to do a proper build, which puts it into coyote price territory. And what fun is 300hp n/a, especially coming from ~900hp on boost.

I also wanna keep it automatic because I love the column shift and don't wanna hack a hole into the trans tunnel.

That’s one of the biggest reasons I went coyote, the 427 would have made a bunch of power but the manners on the coyote are going to be a huge upgrade among the other perks. I wanted something that I could just jump in and drive.

The original engine just would not have cut it anymore either... 300hp 302 is not enough.

The swap has not been cheap, and the engine was actually the cheapest part. It all depends on what else you would need, like if you’re already planning on swapping the k-member, etc....

Reactions: Sprayin

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
That’s one of the biggest reasons I went coyote, the 427 would have made a bunch of power but the manners on the coyote are going to be a huge upgrade among the other perks. I wanted something that I could just jump in and drive.

The original engine just would not have cut it anymore either... 300hp 302 is not enough.

The swap has not been cheap, and the engine was actually the cheapest part. It all depends on what else you would need, like if you’re already planning on swapping the k-member, etc....
Right, the swap parts are silly, and you end up getting nickeled and dimed on all that stuff. A SBF will drop right in and I could do a cheap MS setup. I guess a On3 Turbo SBF could make like 500 but that's where it stops.

Reactions: FESTER665

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Right, the swap parts are silly, and you end up getting nickeled and dimed on all that stuff. A SBF will drop right in and I could do a cheap MS setup. I guess a On3 Turbo SBF could make like 500 but that's where it stops.

For sure. I had a spreadsheet for all the parts I was planning on buying and have all of them except the driveshaft I think. Still buying tons of other random shit I forgot to account for. At this point I’m all the way in on the build. No selling everything and going with a new GT.

I’m sure I’m the end I’ll be happy, just taking a lot more time and money than expected.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I feel like just a 5.3 LS with turbo would be the cheapest then. I mean besides mounts what else would you have to change? No matter what I think 500+hp will still “feel” fast in this thing because old.
Engine, mounts, trans, trans mount, harness (both engine and trans), custom d/s, custom accessories, radiator, hoses, car intake, specific oil pan, custom exhaust, etc etc.

Thread Info