🔧 BUILD Sprayin's 2023 Tesla Model Y LR

General Information

Just picked up a brand new 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range. Which I, obviously, got in Blue. The rest of Tesla colors are boring af, and the wife would never drive a red car. Blue is the best anyways.

The wife's 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee was getting up there in age and miles (71k) and we decided it was time to move into something else. We looked at a bunch of options (Explorer, Grand Cherokee, Aviator) but most of them were more than we wanted to spend (>$70k). I visited my brother down in AZ a few weeks ago and drove around in his Model 3 a bit. This was the same time that Telsa dropped their prices by $4k. We initially were hesitant in the MY because it looks kind of small from the outside. So we went over to the mall to sit in one and see the size of it. Once we realized it was plenty big, it was a no brainer.

We ordered the car on April 23rd, and we had a trade in to process. The car came in and we took delivery today May 5th. We ordered the car brand new and didn't order from existing inventory. So taking less than 2 weeks to get the car seems like it was stupid fast delivery IMO.

This was such an odd car buying experience. Just about everything was handled in the app, and any communication with a person was through text. It was kind of nice since I hate dealers. And picking up the car was so odd. If we didn't have a trade in, you just process picking up the car in the app and just drive away with it without talking to anyone.

So far, it's pretty nice! Drives like a dream. And is stupid fast for the class of vehicle that it is. I legit think this thing is faster than my Mustang.

I have a small complaint, which is consistent with what most people say about the car. The paint quality is pretty poor. The whole car has orange peel. And it's pretty obvious when you get up close. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it's a little surprising considering the price point.

20230505_144426.jpg

20230505_144444.jpg
20230505_141531.jpg

Out with the old Jeep in the background.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Ok so how you liking this thing? Any regrets? Things you dont like? Have a strong offer from Carvana for the wifes minivan and I could really use the tax credit to offset some capitol gains taxes this year...

I'm very strongly considering hitting the order button on a Performance model. They are literally just under $3k more for the performance version so figure why not?

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Ok so how you liking this thing? Any regrets? Things you dont like? Have a strong offer from Carvana for the wifes minivan and I could really use the tax credit to offset some capitol gains taxes this year...

I'm very strongly considering hitting the order button on a Performance model. They are literally just under $3k more for the performance version so figure why not?
Buy plaid
sell mustang
sell minivan

=profit

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

We love it. No regrets at all. It rides like a dream. It's a little bit annoying to take on road trips, but it's more to do with no chargers at the destination than it is having to use Superchargers on the way. Having to stop works well with having a 5 month old because she needs to be fed and changed at about the 2 hour mark anyways and we need every bit of the 30 min charge time.

I've seen a bit of decrease in the range since it's gotten colder but nothing significant enough to bother me. If you can charge at home, it's really a no brainer in my opinion.

It has some goody quirks that bug me. Like when the autopilot is on and you have to move the steering wheel every 5 mins so it thinks you're still having hands on the wheel. Drives me nuts enough to not use it. When the cruise control is on, it'll do phantom breaking sometimes. It's rare, but it's happened 3 or so times so far and it freaks me out. It also is really sensitive to being close to the road lines and likes beeping at me super loud like I'm driving off the road when I'm clearly not.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It has some goody quirks that bug me. Like when the autopilot is on and you have to move the steering wheel every 5 mins so it thinks you're still having hands on the wheel. Drives me nuts enough to not use it. When the cruise control is on, it'll do phantom breaking sometimes. It's rare, but it's happened 3 or so times so far and it freaks me out. It also is really sensitive to being close to the road lines and likes beeping at me super loud like I'm driving off the road when I'm clearly not.

That sounds like any other vehicle with Level 2/3-assisted autonomous driving. You didn't pay for, or subscribe to, their expensive FSD (Full-self-driving) Autopilot, correct? I think the have a basic, enhanced, and FSD if I'm not mistaken.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
That sounds like any other vehicle with Level 2/3-assisted autonomous driving. You didn't pay for, or subscribe to, their expensive FSD (Full-self-driving) Autopilot, correct? I think the have a basic, enhanced, and FSD if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah there are 3 levels. Standard comes free, that's all I have. FSD is $15k. Fuck that.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yeah there are 3 levels. Standard comes free, that's all I have. FSD is $15k. Fuck that.
Or you can subscribe for like $200 a month. I don't blame you for passing on it haha

But ya, most cars that have any lane keep, lane follow, or assisted cruise control do what you are saying. Pretty standard across different manufacturers.

I usually keep a finger on my steering wheel. It does the steering and my finger just hangs on it enough to see my hand is on the wheel. And since these are just assisted driving systems, I'm always ready to add input as it can sometimes get too close to a line, or not turn sharp enough in a turn. But it does greatly reduce fatigue on longer trips. I also have two long straight shots on my way to work. So 80% of my commute is basically hands-free. I like it but not sure I would feel comfortable being completely hands-free even with Tesla's FSD. lol

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
FSD is great, but not $12,000 great. I’d pay $5000 for it, but that’s all. It really works but just doesn’t drive how I’d drive so it gets annoying sometimes.

One thing I’d def recommend is the acceleration boost. I got mine for free, but would pay the money for it. It makes a huge difference

Reactions: Pressure Ratio

Thread Info