🔧 BUILD Sprayin's 2013 Mustang GT

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Clutch will most certainly help that. My 13 did the same thing until I went with a Spec Stage 1, then it was like butter. Stock shifter with a Barton 2 post bracket, loved it.
I've heard good things about Exedy, and was looking into those. Haven't decided on anything yet. I'm getting married in less than 6 weeks so I'm holding off on car parts at the moment.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I've heard good things about Exedy, and was looking into those. Haven't decided on anything yet. I'm getting married in less than 6 weeks so I'm holding off on car parts at the moment.

Better do it now in a few weeks u will need permission to buy anything

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I was having similar issues with my clutch in my 2012 when I was at the road course in June. I've always had the issue of the pedal sometimes sticking or high RPM lockout, but the problem has gotten worse. I was looking at the Exedy Mach 500, but now I'm leaning towards the Exedy Hyper single. I'll be replacing it over the winter. For now the stock clutch is okay to cruise and daily drive.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, the stock clutch has issues with the high rpm shifts. I had a Spec Stage 1 in my 2011 GT. It was great. Nice pedal effort and engagement feel. Never had an issue with 6K+ launches. Well, besides the rear end staying together. lol

Exedy has a good reputation. I used McLeod in the past with good success. But have seen several issues being posted by others in the last couple of years. Kind of concerning.

Do you have a clutch line upgrade already? Another item to get if you don't. Cheap and easy to install.

Reactions: GLIGTO

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Ya, the stock clutch has issues with the high rpm shifts. I had a Spec Stage 1 in my 2011 GT. It was great. Nice pedal effort and engagement feel. Never had an issue with 6K+ launches. Well, besides the rear end staying together. lol

Exedy has a good reputation. I used McLeod in the past with good success. But have seen several issues being posted by others in the last couple of years. Kind of concerning.

Do you have a clutch line upgrade already? Another item to get if you don't. Cheap and easy to install.

I havent done anything to the clutch at all. The stock clutch held up fine launching at 7k at the track day on the slick. It was just high RPM shifting, particularly in 4th, and occasionally in 3rd. I wouldnt have thought that was a clutch issue traditionally, but that is what I've seen pretty much everywhere about these cars.

When you say clutch line upgrade, is that just the braided part on the slave cylinder that you see in these clutch kits, or is there an entire replacement line?

What happened with your rear end? I've made a shit-ton of power through an 8.8 before and never had an issue. Was definitely not concerned for something on stock horsepower, but now you have me worried :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, the upgrades line to the slave cylinder. It has a large orifice size to allow more fluid flow. I'm not sure the hard line that comes in clutch kits have a larger orifice or not. I have never seen them come with clutch kits. Slaves maybe.

Mine was a stock motor and full weight besides wheels/tires. I'm trying to remember what I had fail. I want to say it broke 3 times. Spider gears twice and ring & pinion once. Those high RPM launches will catch up with you eventually. lol But that is where most of the ET gains come from. So once you get a new clutch, let it eat! haha

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Ya, the upgrades line to the slave cylinder. It has a large orifice size to allow more fluid flow. I'm not sure the hard line that comes in clutch kits have a larger orifice or not. I have never seen them come with clutch kits. Slaves maybe.

Mine was a stock motor and full weight besides wheels/tires. I'm trying to remember what I had fail. I want to say it broke 3 times. Spider gears twice and ring & pinion once. Those high RPM launches will catch up with you eventually. lol But that is where most of the ET gains come from. So once you get a new clutch, let it eat! haha

Some of these clutch kits come with upgraded slaves with the line it looks like.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Stick with an OEM slave. I had a braided line from AM that I used for years and was just a bit too long. I swapped it out earlier this year for a line made by JPC. Link is for your car. JPC- 2005-2014 GT/GT500/Boss Black Clutch Line Upgrade - Justin's Performance Center (jpcracing.com)

As far as clutches, do not go with a McLeod RST if you plan to drag the car. Lots of people complain they don't last once you beat them at the track. The RXT is very harsh and is known as the MT82 killer so take your chances with that one. I'd go with an Exedy Mach 500 or 600. They can both take a ton of abuse. I personally ran the Mach 600 and it was a great clutch, but I just made too much power and it started slipping. My newest clutch is an LPXHD, which is made by McLeod for Lethal. Its an RXT pressure plate with kevlar discs. People seem to be having great luck with them so we'll see how I like it when I get my trans back.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Jeez how could it be THAT bad?! S550 just that much better, huh? lol
It's seriously a night and day difference. I feel like I'm driving a Fox body half the time. It's like an entire generation was skipped when they went from the S197 to the S550. My wife's boring ass middle model Jeep Grand Cherokee is 1000x more enjoyable to drive.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Too bad it’s not an auto id take it off your hands
If it were an auto I probably wouldn't be as annoyed.
giphy.gif

Thread Info