• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Sparkplug Moonshot

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Daughter shot out a sparkplug.

2002 3.0 Duratech Ford Escape. Rear head. Wiped out the coil. I can repair the intake manifold.

That sucker took ALL of the threads in the head with it. Dammit!

I found this -
And they have a good reputation. But DAMN, $450.00 kit just to install 1 sparkplug? Ouch.

I have heard a thousand horror stories with the 5.4 Triton motor, and this appears to be the same kit - you know, the one that starts in the tailpipe and tightens the cam bearings on the way in because the hole is so deep?

Anyone use the Timeserts? Anyone have a better idea for tool/insert?

For that kind of money I can just got grab a JY head and do it right.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
Before that kit came out i used to use the regular 14 x 1.25 spark plug repair timesert kit and specifically the medium sized inserts.
But it was a slow process and took my time not to go all the way down with the threads.
So as to have a stop sat the bottom of the hole to prevent the insert from going into the combustion chamber.
I checked the progress with a borescope .
The constant inspection to checking of depth was a used also as a cleaning previously applied grease to tap and then applying new grease to capture chips and debris.
Did I say it was slow and tedious?
It was a pain in the ass.
But I cant remember how many modular motors I have done......
Alternative was cyl head R&R plus gaskets, fluids and machine shop charge etc, which you'll face if you fail.
I always got them to seal and work but I took my time.

Now those top neck time sert kits came out, never looked back.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• zenriddles
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list