• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Spark plug question

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
Here's the dilemma. My dad's 2004 Toyo 4Runner threw a p0306 misfire cyl#6

it's a big problem with this generation, it's not uncommon for it to be a head gasket. The damn dealer told my dad it was an ignition coil and quoted him, of course, hundreds of dollars. So Bernie and I did it for him. I mean, so damn easy. Changed coil and got new spark plugs. Of course code came back after clearing the code.

My question, really just a clarification, because my memory is shot, the spark plugs we took out were of two diff manufacturers. Denso's were on one side while NGK's were on the other. Wouldn't they burn at different temperatures? Just doesn't make sense why the hell it even had two diff ones to begin with. The stats all make sense, but still...

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
Checked them. No signs. Even tried switching. Bank 2, the one that contains cyl #6 was pulled. No visible signs of damage. Was sent to machine shop. They pressure checked and resurfaced. No warpage either. Looks really goos. So it's the head gasket. That we can see.

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
49ad842b45d1a06ebe2f9fe49e3c252f.jpg

See? Cyl 6 being leaked with coolant

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
it could be different brands but the exact same heat range, still some brands of plugs suck in some applications that happen to be the same heat range as the normal plugs, ive ran into this with my boat it hates ngk plugs but they are the same spec as the delco's that came in it

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Unfortunately, being a 2004, you have no warranty recourse. Back when my Cobra had issues with the half shafts, Chicago Mike and I gathered a lot of evidence showing there was an issue with them with many of the cars. We both publicized the data and got Ford to replace our half shafts. We were both under warranty which helped a lot. Ford eventually decided the half shaft replacement was too expensive and came up with a couple cheap "fixes" that did not work and (IMO) waited for the warranties to run out.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Unfortunately, being a 2004, you have no warranty recourse. Back when my Cobra had issues with the half shafts, Chicago Mike and I gathered a lot of evidence showing there was an issue with them with many of the cars. We both publicized the data and got Ford to replace our half shafts. We were both under warranty which helped a lot. Ford eventually decided the half shaft replacement was too expensive and came up with a couple cheap "fixes" that did not work and (IMO) waited for the warranties to run out.

I remember that whole fiasco. It was a metallurgy issue if I recall and I was lucky that Ford replaced mine.

No problems since.

chry*bmb

Apr 16, 2008
TN
The whole thing is crazy!! I did find this out...

Not a big deal, each bank was made in a different location then sent to another for assembly. Yes, V6's of this age have 3 Denso and 3 NGK plugs from the factory

If you were to just Google the problem on this exact year, make model and put HG leak? You'd see. Toyo apparently fixed it a couple years later, but yeah @Flyin High Again , no way will we get any compensation. Lol I guess they were even talking recall too? Just glad it's found and will be fixed. Just sucks Toyo never stepped up. They are still pretty damn good. No complaints on all the Toyo's I've had.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info