• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

spark plug gap on the 3800

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hows .072" sound?!?! :picard:

.057 on the new plugs for me... :rofl:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Id just cut off the ground straps completely, 3800s are self igniting.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
:rofl: Yeah, that's a lot of gap.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should go back to working on the TA? lol

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
You drive this thing yet with the new plugs?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You drive this thing yet with the new plugs?
I did, after new plugs @ .057-.060 and new wires. Largest gap I found was .075, smallest was .072. It idles much smoother and its pulling harder in the upper RPMs. I want to get a scanner on it and see what its doing... might be time to bump the timing! :D

I went to replace the 1/2 shaft today too, but I didn't have a socket that would get the nut off the axle in the car... so I took the nut off the new axle to the store, and bought a deep 34mm socket. Brought that home and it wont get over the nut on the old shaft. :rant: SOOOOO.... I'm getting a 36mm socket tomorrow so I can pull the shaft out and get it replaced. The dead inside boot is spraying grease all over everything... I mopped a bunch of it up, but its a real mess.

I ALSO found out I needed tie rod ends. Got one side replaced... its much better already. Can't wait to get the other side done. It's going to be like a new car! :nannerpunk:

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Reaction score
I went to replace the 1/2 shaft today too, but I didn't have a socket that would get the nut off the axle in the car... so I took the nut off the new axle to the store, and bought a deep 34mm socket. Brought that home and it wont get over the nut on the old shaft. :rant: SOOOOO.... I'm getting a 36mm socket tomorrow so I can pull the shaft out and get it replaced. The dead inside boot is spraying grease all over everything... I mopped a bunch of it up, but its a real mess.

I ALSO found out I needed tie rod ends. Got one side replaced... its much better already. Can't wait to get the other side done. It's going to be like a new car! :nannerpunk:
when i did the axle, tie rod ends and motor mounts on my lumina it felt the same way, and the axle nut took me surprise when i got in there, luckily my local napa let me borrow theirs so i didnt have to buy one

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
What kind of plugs? .055 is the norm for bolt on 3800s. .057 wont hurt notin though. Sure beats .072. :rofl:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
naw mike was into jigsaw puzzles so 10sec helped him make his own inside his motor lol
Band aid motors are out of my control, can't help it had a weak piston in it. All the other ones were just fine... :angrys00ls: It was ALMOST faster than my car, almost...

ls6velless454

Reaction score
ngk ftw the quality from autolite although they are a popular plug among the whole 3800 crowd is not my plug of choice

TommyGloves

Reaction score
Im diggin' the better gas mileage this winter with the TR6s vs the Autolite 104s that I had in there last year. Not that I have some scientific comparison or anything, but my avg mpgs are up from 16.0-16.4 last year to 17.1-18.0 this year. :dunno:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, I've noticed after running both plugs extensively in the TA that the NGKs just have better manners. The turbo setup will be starting with TR7s.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well got the passenger side shaft installed, and the drivers side tie rod end.

SUX because within just the last 2 days the drivers side shaft blew out the inside boot and there's grease everywhere. :fu:

I took the winter wheels off after finding out that one of the wheels is cracked and dented on the inside of the wheel... presumably pothole damage. :wtc: Time for new tires on the summer wheels too... $$$ just rainin' all over this damn car. Needs front brakes too. :mad:

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Reaction score
i might have some brake stuff laying around lol. seriously.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom