Sous Vide Everything

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
These three guys have a youtube channel, Sous Vide Everything. They have done hundreds of videos on sous vide cooking.

Because the guys also have experience with other grilling/smoking methods and because they are fun to watch, the channel has become one of my favorites.

I thought I'd post it in case anyone else is interested in learning about sous vide or watching some entertaining videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Well funny you say that...

Sous vide the brisket for 3 days at 136. Let it spend the night in the fridge then 3 hours at 300 in the smoker.

Just are that today and it was glorious!!!

How was the smoke taste?

I've done two briskets sous vide so far and smoked both for about 3 hours first then sous vide for 50-60 hours. Both turned out very good.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
That sounds amazing. Does it matter the size of the brisket for how long the sous vide cook is?
I did 7 lbs but the recipe didn't have anything to do with size so you should be fine.
You can sous vide for as little as 36 hours per the recipe I used.

Also you can carry the temp, if you go higher it will crumble more and be better for sandwiches.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
How was the smoke taste?

I've done two briskets sous vide so far and smoked both for about 3 hours first then sous vide for 50-60 hours. Both turned out very good.
I did a bunch of research and found a guy that did back to back tests and he found sous vide first to be the better way to go.

Smoke taste was damn solid. It was my first brisket I've ever done and many leaving the party said they loved my meat.

404 happy ending not found... Lol

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
I did a bunch of research and found a guy that did back to back tests and he found sous vide first to be the better way to go.

Smoke taste was damn solid. It was my first brisket I've ever done and many leaving the party said they loved my meat.

404 happy ending not found... Lol

Im going to have to try it that way now.

How was the texture with you going 3 days at 136*?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I was able to nicely slice it (aka not crumbly) and you could cut it with a plastic fork. We cut it like thick cut bacon for serving and it worked really well. You could obviously go thicker as well but we were trying to let people adjust their own portion size without wasting any.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Well funny you say that...

Sous vide the brisket for 3 days at 136. Let it spend the night in the fridge then 3 hours at 300 in the smoker.

Just are that today and it was glorious!!!

How was the smoke taste?

Jesus this sounds amazing! I've sous vide a pork shoulder and then smoked, but did find it a little lacking on the smokiness, although it was the most tender pork shoulder I'd ever ended up with once done. I thought about adding a little liquid smoke flavor to the water bag.

If you say the smokiness was solid though for the brisket, I think I'll try without first go around! Pretty sure I have to try this sometime within the week now!

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Shoulder might be too big to get good penetration on a short smoke..? I did a 7lb Brisket so 3 hours was enough.

I also smoked with maple wood, I don't know if that makes a difference or not..?

So was it only the flat you cooked? I'm still not sure on the after cook smoke. Smoking before the water bath gave me the same smoke as a normal brisket but man was it tender and moist.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
and for a fourth, "normal" smoke...

That would be tough to do. I was just going to buy a flat and cut it in thirds. I dont know if I want to baby sit trying to smoke a 1/4 flat all the way through and then it would be hard to time when to have people over to eat. I've smoked 6-12 briskets the normal way and have a good idea what they taste like. Sous vide is better.

I really like the way this youtube channel does taste tests. I'm about a week away from my 60 day dry aged rib eyes being ready and doing a 6 different rib eye blind taste test. This will be the forth or fifth rib eye test in the last two months. Maybe I will make a post about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info