Sous Vide Everything

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I think the consistency of the sous vide cooking is its strong point. I can make a great steak using traditional methods but I can get different doneness from different steaks on the same grill.

I think sous vide cooking needs a better sear tool. The searzall seems promising but it's still slow. Cast iron/steel pans work but smoke up the house. Whoever comes out with a better searing tool will make some money once the word gets out.

One of the reasons I don't use a cast iron skillet to do the searing when I Sous Vide is that it does basically destroy the apartment for days the one time I did it. I was smelling it for a week. The hood vent just could not keep up with the smoke.

I've used a heat-gun previously. Works, just way too damned slow.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
21 eggs! IMG_20181223_115812.jpeg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I had some free time today, so I decided to make my own sous vide pot to cook stuff in. I had this aluminum liner from an old electric frying deal my mom gave to me that I never use. I took the liner out and have the base for my pot. The walls were too tall for the cooker, so I took my cutting wheel to it and shaved off 4 inches to get the cooker sitting right.

I took the insulation wrapping that came with my Wagyu beef shipment and wrapped it around the pot for insulation. Then, I have some heavy duty aluminum foil for the lid part of it. This thing works perfect. It keeps 3.5 gallons of water at 155 without hesitation. I highly doubt I will ever need more water space that this. I should be putting my brisket in shortly.
20181223_102727.jpeg20181223_102748.jpeg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I saw that. Tempting.

I'm sous viding some pork chops tonight. 3 hrs. at 140*. I'll sear them in cast iron when they're ready.

Did a couple prime steaks last night. 2 hrs. at 134*. The one I ate was one of the best steaks I ever had. Cut it with a fork. Perfect medium rare all the way through. Lawry's seasoning salt and Indian pepper that I put on before searing them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info