Sous Vide Cooking Temp

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
after doing this for, fuck, looks like 5-6 years, the times i do it, and i'd recommend you to, cook them more rare than you are used to or like them. i typically aim for around 130-135* depending on thickness and i dont pay much attention to time other than typically at least an hour and a half at minimum.

if it isnt done enough just sear harder/longer and itll finish it more to what you're accustomed to and like. this gives you a safety net... in case you sear too long/hard you don't go past where you like it

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
after doing this for, fuck, looks like 5-6 years, the times i do it, and i'd recommend you to, cook them more rare than you are used to or like them. i typically aim for around 130-135* depending on thickness and i dont pay much attention to time other than typically at least an hour and a half at minimum.

if it isnt done enough just sear harder/longer and itll finish it more to what you're accustomed to and like. this gives you a safety net... in case you sear too long/hard you don't go past where you like it

This was my thought going into this. I planned on going 135* for about 2 hours then hit that hot ass pan to get a sexy crust. The time is more what I am concerned about since this is fresh to me. Can you cook it too long? I know you can cook it too little.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This was my thought going into this. I planned on going 135* for about 2 hours then hit that hot ass pan to get a sexy crust. The time is more what I am concerned about since this is fresh to me. Can you cook it too long? I know you can cook it too little.

too long would be like, hours upon hours, if you're cooking it tonight and eating it tonight, no chance you can go too long

most important thing with the sear is of course first, stupid hot, but also, and likely equally important is dry the surface of your steak off to like... sahara desert levels of dry. like fucking DRY exterior.

Reactions: SirMarco

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Since it’s so hard to overcook it I actually aim for 130-135. I tried 125 for rare and with sous vide have found I prefer the firmer texture of a steak around 130-135.

I pretty much switched to grape oil because of it’s high smoke point.I only have an electric stove top and it’s ability to hold a steady temp is suspect.

since I am a bit lazyI usually portion and season my steaks first then put them in the freezer. If I want steak for dinner I take the steak out of the freezer and straight into the bath. I usually cook them for 2-3 hours to account for the from frozen start. If the cut is especially thick I will err on the side of caution and add 30m.

with sous vide you can overcook them. But not in the way you are thinking. Instead of drying it out what will happen instead is the texture will get closer to a roast than a steak. The meat will break down.

I experimented once. I did some small steaks from the same cut. One was in the bath for 2hrs. The next 6hrs. Then 12hrs, and finally a 24hr.

While they all tasted good the 12, and and 24 weren’t very enjoyable to chew. Soft, soggy.

there wasn’t much difference between the 2 and 6 hour one.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The Anova app is pretty decent if you just want a quick "how long should I cook this" reference.

The thicker the item, the longer it should cook because it will take longer for the entire piece to come up to temperature.

Sous Vide is all about time at temperature to kill any bacteria and actually cook the meat.

A thicker cut is actually nicer because it allows you to sear it better without overcooking the inside. More forgiving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info