Sooooo I just bought a car from our classifieds (AKA I've made a huge mistake)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And :gives:, and I know I'll probably be told I'm moronic for buying it...

But thank you [MENTION=2062]turtleman[/MENTION] for posting on behalf of your friend, I'm looking forward to wrenching on this thing, and learning a new platform, and my first European disaster.

And thank you mike for confirming that I've bought myself a nightmare.
:mikek:

Car is a 2001 Audi allroad, which un-unbeknownst to me prior to seeing the ad for it, is a basically fully loaded A6 Avant.

With a quick spray-off, you can see the front bumper love, but the rest of the car is very clean (Every panel is dead straight/clean minus a small ding on the tailgate, and the obvious love on the bumper and fender, hood is clean, core support is straight, etc):

How I got it:

Today (11/2/15):
032C9D63-38E9-4849-988F-3611AFE4BA68_zpsiobnlgdg.jpg

So at the Recommendation of VWVortex, I'm going to post how big of a money pit this car is along the way;

The Good:
Has Coil conversion on front suspension
New brakes all around
Runs/Rides/Shifts excellently
Doesn't blow smoke on start-up
From Florida
Excellent tint job all the way around (including windshield)
Has all options except NAV (Upgraded BOSE Audio package, Convenience Package (Memory seats, Homelink, window shades and a few other things), and Cold Weather Package (Heated Front AND Rear seats, and some other nick-nacs), Sunroof, and the TipTronic autotradgic.

The Bad (that I've found so far):
Pass side flex pipe broken behind down pipe - exhaust shop replaced both.
Valve cover oil leak
2 tires that don't hold air especially well - re-sealed by exhaust shop.
intermittent no-start (Has been behaving fine yesterday and today)
Drivers door does not like to be closed firmly, has to be gently closed. - fixed with WD-40.
Drivers window does not like to go up past half way while the door is closed.
Sunroof works in all positions without issue.... Except fully closed, unless you jiggle the switch.
Pass side front carpet is wet.
CEL for secondary air pump.

The Ugly:
Cosmetics (Pass Fender, Front Bumper, Pass Headlight).
All Roads don't all have color matched bumpers, so finding the generic grey plastic one to replace whats on the car shouldn't be hard.
We will Plastidip the wheels either black, or teal since they've found their way into a few curbs.
If I can't find a matching fender, I'll get whatevers cheapest and sticker bomb it because #JDM Dawg.
Already found a Headlight and Fender for $150 local to pickup later this week.

I'm half excited, and half terrified to own this car. It its nicer and more well appointed than either the mustang or the cooper on the inside, had a sticker of ~50k when it was new 15 years ago.... AWD, Twin Turbo Wagon has fun written all over it. But obviously, being a 15 year old Audi, there are lots, and lots and LOTS of things that can go wrong.

The Plan:
Deal with the nick-nacks and drive it through winter. If I like it, I'll hang onto it, and if the Turbos shit the bed I'll upgrade them and/or if the trans shits the bed, I'll do the manual swap, both seem fairly straight forward, but just need $$$ obviously.

If I don't like it, I'll just sell it and move on.

Side-Note; I've ordered Pet Friendly Plates for it: "WAGIN"

Money I've spent so far:
$55.61 Oil Change Special + 2 extra quarts.
$37.72 6 NGK BKR6EIX-11's (Spark Plug), and an Coolant Temperature Sensor.
$66.27 Felpro Valvecover gasket set (Plug well and VC's for both sides), Grease and wax remover, Rags (going to fill and dip the wheels), Mann Hummel Panel Air Filter.
$166.20 Both flexpipes replaced by exhaust shop.
$23.96 for 2 cam plugs and timing chain tensioner seals
$80.63 for Pass side front CV, Cabin air filter, and some Brake Kleen
$4.47 for a VAGCOM cable
$2.99 Boost gauge on clearance at Summit
$5.95 for a Red LED Bulb for boost gauge
$5.00 for spare driver side vent to turn into boost gauge mount.
$200 for a silver fender, pass side headlight, OEM dog barrier, spare sunroof switch, spare intake pipe, handful of spare plastics.
$260 for a front bumper, Craigslist
$50 for a set of roof cross bars for the rack Amazon
$107 for 3 center caps on Ebay
$300 for a brand new set of 225/55-17 FALKEN PRO G4 A/S's
~~~ $1365.80 in parts so far, $525 in Labor, so I'm pretty happy.

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Interior is EXTREMELY clean on a side-note, Black two-tone with grey inserts. OEM allroad mats, storage area cover, etc, etc, etc.

Read LOTS and lots and lots of articles on these things before picking it up yesterday preparing myself, and the general consensus is "They are amazing cars.... When they aren't costing you in significant repairs.... Which they WILL cost you."

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I feel like what he said went right over your head.

I know what he meant, I just don't want to deal with air suspension of any kinds :p

excellent winter beater... dont more than you have to into it. besides some snow tires, fix flex pipe... give to wife or g/f. fix if/when breaks down... dump after winter.

Wife hates driving automatic, but this thing once sorted should be a beast in the white stuff.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Well at least the coilovers fix the horrible air suspension.

It's not like every single one of them is horrible. Maybe you'll have good luck.

I'm sure they are all horrible, I just care that this ones transmission and turbos aren't days away from cashing in, the rest of the issues are obnoxious, but not world ending.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I saw this FS, and I have been looking for a "better" winter beater, but owning a 14yr old Audi :ming:

NOPE.

Although, with the help of my friend, Jeff aka Goodfellasgarage has a lot of Audi experience. And to my friend that bought 2 older Audi's, even after I told him NOT to buy older high mileage Audi's, he had nothing but problems. They're terrible cars. Hopefully it works out better for ya! :bigthumb:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I'm going to have Jeff deal with some of the work, already been talking with him :)

He was literally the only place around that would even work on it. He called 6 different shops and only 2 of them even got back to him with quotes high enough to scare anyone away.

Jeff had to take off the ENTIRE front end to replace a GD power steering pump.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
He was literally the only place around that would even work on it. He called 6 different shops and only 2 of them even got back to him with quotes high enough to scare anyone away.

Jeff had to take off the ENTIRE front end to replace a GD power steering pump.
The front ends are easily removed and made to be pulled easily for such work. :dunno:

Thread Info