Sooooo I just bought a car from our classifieds (AKA I've made a huge mistake)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Rattle can spray paint that front fender to look like the factory color or else the dip will show different

The new fender is being Sticker-Bombed by [MENTION=4700]Miss Esa[/MENTION]. :s00ls:

We are going to dip stuff like the 'door blades', the wheels, and the chrome on the front bumper cover. (Teal for the Wheels, Black for the blades and chrome).

If I go to flip, I'll get my hands on a matching fender, this was just the most readily available/cheapest that wasn't crunched, sticker bombed fender seems to be a pretty common 'euro' appearance from what I've seen, I dig it, I know its not everyone cup of tea. I think on a black car with teal wheels it will be unique.

1yv66a.jpg

I've seen 4 allroads over the weekend of similar vintage as mine (between 2 parts cars, a Junkyard car, and the car that one of the parts guys daily drove), and mine is in far better shape than any of them. They seem to frequently get damage in the rear quarters, and rust from the door blades and tailgates. Mine doesn't have any of those issues, I'm looking forward to giving it a proper bath and finishing deal with the cosmetic issues. :naughtyd:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
:picard: Why not just do the whole car one color?

The car is black, and the body of it is EXTREMELY clean.

All Road Fenders are Unique to the Allroad only, so they aren't exactly littering the hillside in availability. To order a matching fender from a junkyard across the country where they have one in stock would be $300-500. I paid basically $50 for this fender (Exceptionally clean Silver one), Stickerbombing it hides the origional color, and I can always pull the stickers and get it professionally painted for similar money to sourcing a fender as well.

This is a budget minded project, so $50, and a handful of stickers I already had laying around is much better than $500.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Side-note, the Roll-up dog divider work with the rear seats up, OR down (So it can make the 'dog area' the entire back of the car). There is an impressive amount of thought put into the design of this car I have to admit.

Also, Acetone is magical, the PO had spraypainted the busted up bumper, and oversprayed the foglights. Fogs weren't damaged, so I was able to pop them out of the old bumper, clean them up, and pop them in the new bumper.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
A can of color matched spray paint is likely less than you'll spend on adhesive remover to get all of those stupid ass stickers off the fender. Why would you go through all of that when you can just PAINT the fuckin thing?

BTW, sticker bombing was 10yrs ago, and it was really stupid then.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
love it so far :rofl:

keep it going.. keep the updates

When its all said and done, it should be an amusing winter beater/dag hauler.

[MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION], I know I shot you a text about the top end parts being in the mail. Do you have any idea if the Turbo Oil Feed Lines are serviceable in case they are leaking? I did some digging online, and it seems like the only 2 oil leaks these things are known for is VC's (and the associated top end gaskets with it), Or the oil feed line to the turbo.

I'd imagine if that's what's leaking it would be spraying oil everywhere? :hsughlol:

A can of color matched spray paint is likely less than you'll spend on adhesive remover to get all of those stupid ass stickers off the fender. Why would you go through all of that when you can just PAINT the fuckin thing?

BTW, sticker bombing was 10yrs ago, and it was really stupid then.

Heat Gun is free, Vinyl stickers come off like nothing with a heat gun if we decide we don't like it, and I have a jug of remover on a shelft. Either way, I'm primarily concerned about getting it solid for winter, I can get the fender legit painted in spring if it bothers me enough. Driving a whole winter with a silver fender (Or rattle canned fender) would bother me vastly more.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
When its all said and done, it should be an amusing winter beater/dag hauler.

@daturbosix, I know I shot you a text about the top end parts being in the mail. Do you have any idea if the Turbo Oil Feed Lines are serviceable in case they are leaking? I did some digging online, and it seems like the only 2 oil leaks these things are known for is VC's (and the associated top end gaskets with it), Or the oil feed line to the turbo.

I'd imagine if that's what's leaking it would be spraying oil everywhere? :hsughlol:

IDK?

7001aa5d1483fa70cd00022ed226483d.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
for realz? hmmmmmmm.

:likes:

100% and to be honest, I really didn't even take my time. All wet sanded and polished properly it looked like this...

redcarfrontpic.jpg

There is no difference in a finished product using a rattle can vs using a professional painting gun. The difference is how much you can paint at a single time. Those 2 cans of color matched paint cost $28 at the time, I do believe they're more these days.

Thread Info