Sooooo I just bought a car from our classifieds (AKA I've made a huge mistake)

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
If you're not a little whiny bitch about working on your own car, I really don't think they're that bad. Yea the turbos can go out but at the same time plenty of car's turbos last much longer. The v8 is worse, the timing chain is in the back and the engine has to be pulled to do it. They also claim a forever chain but they for sure stretch.

l0wb00st

Overbuild It, Or Don't Build It
Jan 29, 2012
NW Suburbs
The motor doesn't HAVE to be pulled to do the turbo's. A buddy of mine did his on his S4 with the motor still in.

The 2.7T is notorious for being expensive on maintenance, but of the few friends that I have that had them, only one of them really got killed on maintenance.

This could be you, but you playin'
jo-hella4-06.jpg

Audi_Allroad_COVER-1110x740_0.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
10sec is a grumpy little troll

:dunno:, I have low expectations of this car, so I hope it surprises me, the prospect of a poor mans Twin Turbo AWD Wagon makes me happy.

First Update;

I've started it like 5 times randomly yesterday and today already, no issues with the intermittent no-start, so no idea there, I hope it DOESN'T start on me so I can scan it and start troubleshooting. Maybe it won't start on Jeff when he has it :hs:

Registration is completed, my plates "WAGIN" will arrive in 4-6 weeks.

Bought an oil change for it so I can tackle that before I drive it much;

$55.00 on special, and got a free upgrade to the nicest oil filter because they didn't have an option for the combo deal for the 2.7T motor at all.

7 quarts of 10-40 synthetic is the recommendation :liljon:

(I'm not surprised at the cost, I'm surprised by the amount)

Insurance is $50 a month for full coverage Comp/Collision.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
5.0 swapped yet?

These came with the 4.2 V-8 in later years as an option, but that motor ALSO has an at-risk of needing to pull the entire motor for rear timing chain replacement..... Not as much potential either in that motor from what I read.

General reading says Upgrade the turbos if they blow on my motor, and manual swap it when the trans dies, and they turn into proper little rocketships.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
what would turn it into an un-proper rocket ship :pedobear:

Bags......

Updated with first few small purchases.

Money I've spent so far:
$55.61 Oil Change Special + 2 extra quarts.
$37.72 6 NGK BKR6EIX-11's (Spark Plug), and an Coolant Temperature Sensor.
$66.27 Felpro Valvecover gasket set (Plug well and VC's for both sides), Grease and wax remover, Rags (going to fill and dip the wheels), Mann Hummel Panel Air Filter.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I wonder if people still put K04's on them when the K03's burn up. It used to be about 100k expectancy out of those.

As for the transmission, I have to imagine that now that you don't need to get rebuilt units from Audi you can pick them up cheap used, especially considering how many turd Allroads just get scrapped.

Come to think of it, my A8 had an intermittent no-start. Occasionally it would just do nothing when you turned the key. Sometimes it would do nothing several times in a row. What a magnificent vehicle and simultaneous pile of shit that car was. I've never loved and hated a car more than that A8.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Car finally threw codes for secondary air pump as I suspected it would from the cold start sound when I bought it, and the CVs feel toast. Both of which I was already aware of, so no surprises yet.

Motored around for a while with it after the exhaust shop, SOOOOO quite now, powerband is silky smooth, Quattro system responds very quickly when you give the throttle a shove, transmission is shifting excellently.

I still have a slight tinge of concern about it until the oil leak is addressed, but it's shaping up to be a stout winter beater so far. Hasn't had the no start issue still....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I bet I just figured out the no start... Pass floor carpet is wet under the mat. Nothing else is wet, which lends to the drain from the Cowl is plugged up and leaking into the car. Nothing causes weird intermittent behavior like moisture....

I checked the rear tire well, and drivers carpet for moisture... Didn't check the pass side front when I picked it up.

Fixed the drivers door latch with WD, and the window has been behaving better since I adjusted the trim on that door.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Sourced the fender and headlight for $150, and the bumper for $260, picking them up tomorrow and installing.

Picked up a spare Driver side vent (left side of the steering wheel), for $5, and my $3 summit boost gauge arrived.

Ordered a VAGCOM cable, will arrive later this month to have handy for diagnostics.

Thread Info