Sooo engagement ring tips?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Would u get engaged with the second lady and not ever go get married ? Just curious how u feel about this?

I personally don't believe in marriage as I don't think a ring, a piece of paper, and/or a law abiding agreement makes a person committed to someone. I also feel that marriage can sometimes make people lazy or complacent in the relationship. Her and I have had the discussion of marriage and she understands the way I feel. Something I am rock solid in is that if she wants to be with me she understand that we will never get married. She has expressed concern that I could just walk away, and my rebuttal is that she could as well and that people walk away regardless if they are married or not. Marriage just makes it a little more complicated.

She did want some piece of mind and I gave that to her in an eternity ring. I don't want anything from her as I know that she is committed to me.

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
Do you want to come out to a jewelry show and I can show you around? The typical markup for retail is 500 to 1500%, the show has the people that actually make the pieces. You can pick out a setting at one booth, find a stone you like at another, then go to a third to have it set and sized while you go get a hotdog.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Do you want to come out to a jewelry show and I can show you around? The typical markup for retail is 500 to 1500%, the show has the people that actually make the pieces. You can pick out a setting at one booth, find a stone you like at another, then go to a third to have it set and sized while you go get a hotdog.
Man, that is an incredibly generous offer. I’ll absolutely take you up on that. When does this typically happen?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI

Maaaaan where the FUCK were you last year....

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
My sister is a jeweler and my mother did a lot of buying at the shows over the years, so I have been going to them for about 30 years.
The shows happen a few times a year, this past year most were cancelled due to covid, so the schedules are all wonky.
looks like intergem is happening again, I have a wholesalers account (its a tax id, no biggie) so I can take you into the wholesalers room as well.
looks like the next show is end of april, at the donald e stephens convention center in rosemont
it is sort of a mix of row after row of this:

IMG_3448.JPG

and this:
Chantilly+Feb+2013+176.jpg

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
TCG Premium
Jan 31, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
Real Name
I Think That’s Obvious
First off, congratulations to you and Anni!

My wife and I went the safe route and picked out each other’s rings. We figured if we’re going to wear it forever, it’s gotta be something we enjoy looking at. I think we spent $5K-6K total for both. If she sends me to the grocery store and I pick out the wrong flavor of something, I didnt want to fuck up the rest of my life by picking out the wrong ring for her.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
First off, congratulations to you and Anni!

My wife and I went the safe route and picked out each other’s rings. We figured if we’re going to wear it forever, it’s gotta be something we enjoy looking at. I think we spent $5K-6K total for both. If she sends me to the grocery store and I pick out the wrong flavor of something, I didnt want to fuck up the rest of my life by picking out the wrong ring for her.
Thanks man! Engagement isn’t going to happen until we buy a house. Hoping that’s some time around may-June. Prob going to wait for a housewarming party to do it. We’re both focused on getting out of our current situation and would rather have the engagement be at a better time, it’s no rush.

Reactions: ChrisRac

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
My sister is a jeweler and my mother did a lot of buying at the shows over the years, so I have been going to them for about 30 years.
The shows happen a few times a year, this past year most were cancelled due to covid, so the schedules are all wonky.
looks like intergem is happening again, I have a wholesalers account (its a tax id, no biggie) so I can take you into the wholesalers room as well.
looks like the next show is end of april, at the donald e stephens convention center in rosemont
it is sort of a mix of row after row of this:

IMG_3448.JPG

and this:
Chantilly+Feb+2013+176.jpg

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

I may take u up in this offer come April. I want to see what 10-12k buys me at the show instead of a retailer.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Thank God I didn't have to propose. :ROFLMAO:

We were at a bar and just was like, "so you wanna?"

Easy peasy. We went together and shopped numerous places for rings. Found one on a deal at helzburg of all places. It's a great piece. Appraised double what WE paid. Yea. WE. It was a joint purchase. And now she doesn't even wear it. :(

Then 30k later we were wed. ?

#notworththecoinwillnotdoagain

• Haha
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
I may take u up in this offer come April. I want to see what 10-12k buys me at the show instead of a retailer.
10-12k? christ, umm I dunno. For a single piece it would be something art level.
the last time I took friends shopping for a ring at the show (engagement) they spent I think 3-4k, insurance appraised it at retail for (I think) 22-24k

I know the deBeers cartel has spent a lot of money on marketing but people really should consider stones other than diamonds, if you want to see the real value of diamonds just go to any pawn shop, they often will melt down the rings and chuck the diamonds into a pile. and man, me and a few jeweler friends laughed (and then cried) a couple of years ago with that "chocolate diamond" scam. Those chocolate diamonds are industrial grade, they are usually ground up and put in blades and sand paper.

• Haha
Reactions: CMNTMXR57

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
10-12k? christ, umm I dunno. For a single piece it would be something art level.
the last time I took friends shopping for a ring at the show (engagement) they spent I think 3-4k, insurance appraised it at retail for (I think) 22-24k

I know the deBeers cartel has spent a lot of money on marketing but people really should consider stones other than diamonds, if you want to see the real value of diamonds just go to any pawn shop, they often will melt down the rings and chuck the diamonds into a pile. and man, me and a few jeweler friends laughed (and then cried) a couple of years ago with that "chocolate diamond" scam. Those chocolate diamonds are industrial grade, they are usually ground up and put in blades and sand paper.

Shit I’ll spend 3-5k if it retails for 20k all day

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info