Sooo engagement ring tips?

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Also, anybody notice how the ones that didn’t spend much on a ring are insecure about their decision? Lol. Nobody asked you guys to defend your choice, that’s between you and your wife. I find it odd though that there’s a lot of unsolicited reasons as to why people in this thread decided to spend less than “customary”.
Insecure about a decision my Wife made, you got me fucked up
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
It may be a little bit of a drive but The Diamondaire in Downtown St Charles. Prices are way cheaper than any of the big box stores and they treat you like family. They can make anything customized for you. Call and ask for Billy. You won’t be disappointed. I bought there and then recommended to at least 4 other friend/buddies who have bought from there. They shopped around but ended up going there.
I bought my first wife's ring from there and was happy working with Billy. After our divorce, they bought it back for a fair price too. Something to keep in mind "just in case"...?

Second wife was much more practical in terms of price and size. We got one at Zales that she really likes 10 years ago and still happy with it.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy the process!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Enjoy the process, every woman is different and everyone’s style is different.

To be honest I don’t get why these types of threads turn into a flexing match. Some women get caught up in price and size of the ring, some don’t want a 4 carat Diamond catching on every little thing when they go about their day.

It is what it is. I don’t get the whole Diamond bragging thing. But it’s whatever

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
Bling bling
giphy.gif

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Also, anybody notice how the ones that didn’t spend much on a ring are insecure about their decision? Lol. Nobody asked you guys to defend your choice, that’s between you and your wife. I find it odd though that there’s a lot of unsolicited reasons as to why people in this thread decided to spend less than “customary”.

nah. Mainly just throwing it out there that buying an expensive diamond ring isn’t necessary to make your wife happy. But, if that is what makes your wife happy I just feel bad for you that it takes a huge materialistic status symbol to get her happy.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
She and I knew right away when I met her (that she was the one), so after a year or so of dating, the talk became "when". As such we started shopping together and I let her do her thing. We shopped several places and there was one ring that she lit up when she saw it. So I knew what it was when I went back to purchase it. My decision from there was the stone size and clarity.

So my suggestion, if you're serious with this chick, maybe take her shopping. Yea, it may tell her your intentions, but she will never know the when and where it'll take place. Then, like with mine, pay attention to what she lights up over.

As to the wedding band having/or not having diamonds. There isn't any rule that it has to or not. My Wife's does have diamonds, but yes, the actual wedding band and diamonds are much smaller and generally not the main event, that is the engagement band is for. In many/most cases, they're actually meant to be worn together. So when I got her engagement ring, I also (on my own) had to shop for her wedding band, and I found one that had similar styling to her engagement ring. Usually it's the man's wedding band that is just metal. Mine is anyway.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
nah. Mainly just throwing it out there that buying an expensive diamond ring isn’t necessary to make your wife happy. But, if that is what makes your wife happy I just feel bad for you that it takes a huge materialistic status symbol to get her happy.

Sometimes a man wants to get the little lady a Big Diamond I see no problem with it. And I don’t a see a problem with a woman getting a tiny Little Diamond. The truth is what matters the most is that it comes from the mans heart and is ready to be a good man to her.

The original poster doesn’t care about anybody’s situation he asked where he can get the best deal in a Diamond. So let’s get the man some connections on where to go.

Reactions: SleeperLS and DanJ

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I didn’t spend a crazy amount of money on mine for my first and only marriage. At the time I was spending what I could afford and had no clue I would end up divorced. Hindsight being 20/20 I’m glad I didn’t spend more. Also wisdom kicking in years later you realize that’s not what it is about. A ring is symbolic and of your soon to be expects more to keep up with her friends than she probably is not a good person to be marrying.

My opinion, doesn’t have to be yours.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I didn’t spend a crazy amount of money on mine for my first and only marriage. At the time I was spending what I could afford and had no clue I would end up divorced. Hindsight being 20/20 I’m glad I didn’t spend more. Also wisdom kicking in years later you realize that’s not what it is about. A ring is symbolic and of your soon to be expects more to keep up with her friends than she probably is not a good person to be marrying.

My opinion, doesn’t have to be yours.

When’s the second wedding ?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I got my diamond on Jamesallen.com I liked it over blue nile as it showed me where the the actual imperfection was so I had mine on the backside vs on the face of it. Color mattered the most to me after seeing the difference.

It was more overall than I wanted to spend but my wife did buy me an "engagement" datsun :) I had a friends dad who runs a jewelry business create the custom band and set it and it came out fantastic and she loves it. I would say it was her one irrational thing for the size of it which was roughly 1.4-1.5 carat.

1613371398800.png

Reactions: The Beast

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Knew it was destiny to go see a guy named Barry (99% sure hes retired now) at New York Jewelers on the row downtown when Bru Bru and a pharmacist co-worker of mine both suggested the same guy at the same place iirc :rofl:

Anyways, was happy with my purchase there, engagement ring then got the wedding band, my ring and then another anniversary present from them, so far happy, been almost 7 years now and quality is high, no issues on anything even the really tiny stones on along the band

Besides what everyone has argued about the color/clarity, the cut was honestly a huge difference maker in price. My wife wanted cushin cut which was a great visual size for the money.. Just gonna say the size of your S/Os hands definitely might change what you spend, it can really change the look

I think I spent around 4 when all said and done, even if I could afford more, I'm happy with what I got and so is my wife, she still gets compliments on it because its on the unique side. Don't cheap out on the setting/band, that makes a huge difference

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I had a great experience with Nelson's in Crystal Lake. They were very helpful and reasonable. More reasonable to than the person who wore it :s00ls:

Anyways the Mom and Pop shops are usually your better bet. They are also much more helpful with matching the wedding band.

Congrats on taking the plunge, just be honest with yourself and be 100% sure. That's all I can say.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info