Sooo engagement ring tips?

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
We’ve been married for almost 21 years. So perhaps the store is not the same. I went to the Jewelry Exchange in Villa Park. I picked out the diamond and ring separately. A friend of my moms made us a custom wedding ring to fit the profile of the engagement ring. Not the biggest or greatest diamond. But very clear with minimal microscopic imperfections.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
The cut and clarity were pretty irrelevant when I looked. The color is pretty important though. Some of the lower tier stones look pretty yellow and it's very noticeable.

This. Really depends on the cut too. (EDIT: my wife’s friend was engaged to some douche who got her this monster rock. She was showing it off and there was a large black fleck of something in it that couldn’t be missed with the naked eye ?. Pretty sure it was over 2 carats) I read all sorts of articles that said I could get away with a G color stone in an emerald cut. I got it from blue Nile and everything looked good. I did the refrigerator light test and it looked visibly yellow. So back it went, I dropped .05 carats and went from a G VVS1 to an E VVS1 and I think it was a few hundred dollars more but well worth it. Nice thing with the emerald cut is that I dropped .05 carats but the new stone is actually fractions of mm larger in length and width but loses a bit in depth.

You’ll find that the price bump at 1.00 carats is pretty extreme and not linear at all. Once you take it in the ass to get a whole carat the bump up to 1.25 or so isn’t that bad. So many people want to be able to say they have a carat that they can charge a premium for it

Blue Nile was great to deal with and will clean and tighten the prongs as long as you have the ring. They just opened a store in Bolingbrook I think so you yourself don’t even have to go through the trouble of shipping it insured via fedex. I know Turk Turk bought his stone from blue Nile and had it set elsewhere because they didn’t offer the setting his wife wanted so that’s an option as well.

Highly recommend insuring it also. I think I pay a little over $120 a year and the deductible isn’t bad at all. Doesn’t matter if it’s lost, stolen or flushed down the toilet they fully replace it at least once before it gets costly to insure.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The cut and clarity were pretty irrelevant when I looked. The color is pretty important though. Some of the lower tier stones look pretty yellow and it's very noticeable.
I think you’re off on this. If I remember correctly the cut is actually the most important. With that being said, most diamonds nowadays have a flawless cut so it’s not a big deal. I think blue Nile only sells perfect cuts as an example. Next, I’d say, is color, then clarity. You can get a really good price on a diamond if it has some minor inclusions that aren’t even noticeable unless your face is on top of the diamond.

Reactions: P40E

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Personally I think it’s stupid to spend that much on a ring, my wife doesn’t even ware hers because she’s afraid something will happen to it, she buys fake diamond engagement rings off eBay and wares those instead I don’t pay much attention to anything but I didn’t even notice for years, I don’t think she even wares a ring anymore and I haven’t from day one, huge waste of money

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I think you’re off on this. If I remember correctly the cut is actually the most important. With that being said, most diamonds nowadays have a flawless cut so it’s not a big deal. I think blue Nile only sells perfect cuts as an example. Next, I’d say, is color, then clarity. You can get a really good price on a diamond if it has some minor inclusions that aren’t even noticeable unless your face is on top of the diamond.

Guarantee the woman has already saw many rings / compared them to other friends rings . She will be staring at the ring forever . You want it to sparkle as much as her friends , if not more. Thats how i see it . No matter what size.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Guarantee the woman has already saw many rings / compared them to other friends rings . She will be staring at the ring forever . You want it to sparkle as much as her friends , if not more. Thats how i see it . No matter what size.
If you want more sparkle, there are better options then diamond nowadays

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I feel bad for you guys that have wives who want expensive diamond rings.
$400 to clean and fix my great grandma's wedding ring from 1920 for the engagement ring and then a $300 wedding band that the ring fits in to make a set.

She's never said anything ever again about rings or jewelry. :rofl:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Diamonds traditionally are for a wedding ring , no ?
idk the whole "correct way". We didn't go diamond, we went moissanite.

GemStoneComparisionChart-Low-Res.jpg

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
The current talk above was about diamonds that's what I was saying about. I actually think my mom's wedding band has diamonds on it I guess it's all really preference. She might have even built on to that thing? . Things change after about 58 years of marriage

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I didn't mean in setting price. I meant in how it looked. Like I couldn't point out cut differences.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Some women take marriage seriously some things are very important to them whether it be the wedding or the ring and other things like the dress. My parents even got remarried again just to do it because it meant a lot to my mom to actually have a very good wedding because at the time they didn't have shit when they first got married

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info