Someone here has an old 3800 turbo crossover...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That’s cool. Entitled to your opinion. Agree with you that it’s the best of the power adders. I don’t know what all he has for mods. And didn’t want to see him with a broken car he can’t fix especially if it’s only. I have far more money in mine than you do in yours. Just trying to help. I should stop logging in on weekends [emoji106]

Lol

I didn't know you knew how much money I have in my car... Bahahha

I'm not sure a) why that matters or b) how you think you may

Lol

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That’s cool. Entitled to your opinion. Agree with you that it’s the best of the power adders. I don’t know what all he has for mods. And didn’t want to see him with a broken car he can’t fix especially if it’s only. I have far more money in mine than you do in yours. Just trying to help. I should stop logging in on weekends [emoji106]

It's all about the person who owns the car. I put 15k miles on a turbo'd but otherwise stock, including the trans GTP. It was on 14-15psi and E85 with a stock pump and 60lb injectors and easily would go 115+ if I drag raced it. I sold it like that and I'm not sure what happened to it, but it never had a single problem. It's the people that want to go stupid with them and make 400+HP that break their shit all of the time. You could make more power than your "favorite" car you had however many years ago with a turbo only at a modest 8-9psi and drive it all day every day and it would cost less and get better MPG.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
All that being said. I will go through my boxes of parts from my older turbo setups. I’ll post back if I find anything useful. And I’ll probably just let it go for shipping costs. I might have an intercooler.

Trbogt that would be awesome man, I would definitely be willing to send you some extra cash at least for your time. I really appreciate that offer.

Sorry guys ive been really busy this weekend with my daughter being sick, we've been in and out of the hospital several timea. We've made up our minds, were not taking her into pubilc until after all this nasty illness/flu season is over. She's been sick several times this winter, I feel bad for the little thing.

Also for other mods, like I've mentioned, everything on a super low budget lol. Injectors, sloppy mechanic style decapped ls injectors, I sent in 13of them to a guy, let him know my situation, and he gave me a great deal on cleaning and matching them up, at my fuel pressure they are all within 1.8% of 56lb/hr, they sent me the matched set of 6, and I let them keep the extras in case they ever need one for a set they're matching, those should be plenty to hold me over for awhile(I have eBay injector spacers, paid 18$ for 6, the injectors at junkyard cost me 10$, flow matching was 60$, so not too bad), I decided to make my own fuel logs, which came out really nice, I bought 24" of -6 fuel rail extrusion off of eBay for 25$, and a knockoff fuel lab regulator that came with all of the fittings necessary for the fuel rail(was cheaper to buy the regulator with all the fittings rather than piece them out,still may just use one of those adapters to allow use of the stock regulator on fuel logs(I believe I saw that stock regulator fitting adapter on prj website, which gave me the idea) For the turbo, I got super lucky and found a used genuine gt3582, 82 ar exhaust, I found it at a flea market from a guy who bought storage lockers, he didnt know what he had, paid 100$ even for it, it badly needed seals, so I got a 30$ kit and replaced them myself, bearings feel tight, little if any shaft play. It should be capable of mid 12s or so, I'm not 100% sure on that so if someone knows, please enlighten me. Which I'm cool with for now. Should allow pretty fast spool, I don't plan on shifting past 6200 anyways so I think it'll be ok. I have a super nasty cam, one of the old tep style .574 .566 deals.got a KILLER deal on it from someone who was just done with the platform, which was really cool. I need to get some 130# springs for it, already have modded retainers. As for doing the valve guides and porting, that is something I'm good at. My grandpa was a machinist by trade and I used to do a lot of porting/polishing with him. I used an old valve guide cutter and took mine down .100 to give retainer clearance for the big cam. Also ported my heads, don't worry I didn't do them like half of the idiots you typically see that say, look here guys I ported my exhaust port look how nice and round it is, lol. I didn't mess with the short turn too much, just cleaned it up. And cleaned up the bowl area beside the guide, took the lip off of the area right behind the seat from where the factory cut them in. I unshrouded the valves in the CC, by marking with a pick thru the plug hole and then removing some material, then I carefully smoothed out the CC's. I gasket matched the ports, didn't take it too far, did a nice job. As for a trans, when I bought my 98 Daytona years ago,it had a tep s2, built back in 08 (verified the id numbers with Dave), I got the whole car for 350 off of some guy on craigslist that didn't know anything about the car, motor was locked up, when I pulled it I found a nice hole in the back about the size of two pistons, and found part of the crank on the sub frame. I put a stock motor/headers/rockers/3.3 in it and drove it for about a year, this was back in 2013 or so, had a blast in it, trans still felt good, but I'm sure it won't hold up long to the abuse I plan to put it thru. I've located several built transmissions for sale, which is why you guys see me posting up several nitrous kits for sale in the classifieds, I am trying to use that money to get another trans to have on hand, it to slap in ahead of time. It's no big deal to replace one, I smoked quite a few and got good at replacing them in one evening by myself. If only I was a decent welder I'd be set, I honestly thing the cheap shitty 70amp one that I have,(bought used of coarse, you guys should know me by now, lol), and I think the previous owner may have not followed duty cycle instruction properly and constantly over heated it, which can cause erratic function, which I experience. It has high and low, I've tried properly matching rod to material, thickness etc, but still just burns thru. So yeah guys, if any of you have any stuff that's turbo related, or 3800 in general, please let me know, and let's try to make a deal. Even if I have to send you money each week for a month, if you're OK with it, so am I. I need a dbl roller, 130# springs, possibly 3/8 7.05 pushrods?, Crossover, I could use an intercooler because the one I have is one of the small eBay ones, that I picked up used for 25$, and it's a little beat up, I may end up needing some more ic piping, I already have a m90 block off, and rear manifold block off. Oh and I do have a dhp, picked it up on here for a great deal from a great guy who didn't need it anymore. I have experience tuning, I used to have an old school hpt(I believe it was a 2.2 or 2.3 era unit, of course I got it used lol) but one day I was out tuning my Daytona, and someone stole it off the passenger seat with my laptop when I ran into a small country gas station for like 1 minute to pay for gas, I saw the car speeding off and didn't know why until I got done pumping gas and got into my car, man I was upset that day. Ended up parking my car for a few months and driving my old Astro van for awhile till i got this dhp a few months ago.

Sorry for the stupid long post, just trying to give you guys some back ground into what I've already got done. I know it's pathetic that I'm going thru this much hassle to do everything as cheap as possible,but even if something happens down the road, and even it it takes me a long time to get it fixed again. I'll still be really happy that I was finally able to turbo my car. :) It's just been something I wanted to do for a really long time. But like I said, after I'm done with school, I'll get a good job behind the desk of a computer somewhere making decent money and be able to afford all the cool stuff I want without having to worry about take care of family/or build my car, which has been the deal so far, which I don't mind at all, I love them. I just wanna feel the boost from a turbo in my gp.

To whoever takes the time to read all of that... Thank you.
I appreciate all of your guys feedback, and am glad to finally start chatting with you all.

I'll keep the next post down to 5 or 6 lines I promise lol

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah, I did read all of that, but I had to break it up in to a few paragraphs to comprehend it :rofl: SO MANY LINES.

I agree with KJ, right off the bat you don't have enough trans to even warrant wasting your money on the stuff to run that ridiculous cam, but even if you did, that cam is very wrong for a turbo setup. A stock cam will make well over 400whp all day and enough TQ to rip up even a fresh fully built TEP trans. You wouldn't break the hard parts, but you'll still need it refreshed if you're going to beat the shit out of it, again, that would be a fully built one on a stock cam.

So right there you can save $$$ not putting that cam in. That turbo sounds pretty small, is it a T-3 or T-4?

Use the money you save not running the cam to get a 4" intercooler core and some piping. Run it for a while and iron out any issues you have, and then from there you can decide where to go. You'll see with a stock motor the car will have more than enough power and it'll be dead reliable.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
Ok I will take your guys advice. I wasn't shooting for 700hp anyways. I just wanted to eventually get up to 400whp and possibly go further once I have more money. Anyone have any partial 4t65e rebuild kits lying around?

This cam made 584whp in a stattama setup,stock long block just cam, chain and springs. So it must be ok for a turbo. I was looking for an st2 but couldn't find a used one. I got this one for insanely cheap.

The turbo is fairly small, and yes is a t3 hotside. Here are the specs.

Cold side-61.40mm 82.00mm ar.70 4" inlet
Turbine- 68mm 84mm ar.82
3"outlet. So it's not too terribly small.

If this turbo is too small to run with that cam, I'll either get an eBay t70, and freshen up the trans myself. Or ditch that idea and run the stock stuff. I definitely would like to still install springs and a timing chain for insurance. Anyone wanna buy or trade with me for my tep cam? Lol

I might just do a hood exit F*** it lol.

Shit I went past 5-6 lines, sorry guys lol
Thanks so much for all your help!

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Definitely stick with what you have, the turbo and everything will go together with a stock engine. 90# GM springs can be snagged uber cheap (for valve float at higher boost levels but stock cam) and you can run those with the factory timing chain and tensioner, which is what I would recommend for reliability. The OEM stuff is always the best stuff, the more of that you keep around the longer the car will run without stupid things breaking.

That turbo sounds like it's good for 400hp, which is perfect. Ditch the cam, springs, and chain, and get some 90#GM springs, that should put some money back into your pocket, IF you can find people interested in that stuff.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
You know what's funny.. I literally just sold my brand nip 90#ers like 4 days ago to a local guy cause I didn't think I'd use them. I do at least need to get a new t chain tensioner. Mine is really worn out bad. Now let's just hope for a crossover to pop up from someone here. I found one on fb a few weeks ago, listed very cheap, I messaged the guy within one minute of his posting, said give me an hour and I'll have the money in your account. He said cool np. Message me back 45 mins later saying "sorry I had a family emergency I cant sell you the crossover"... Wtf kinda shit is that?

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
Oh and if anyone here is interested,
I have a complete Nitrous express system, the same one that goes with the gt500 plate I have listed for sale,
Includes, the red and blue carbon fiber nitrous, purge and fuel solenoids(.187 office), bottle, bottle gauge, 15' -4 line, 3/8 QC fuel line adapter with 1/8npt port for the fuel solenoid so no cutting anything, all of the short -3, -4 lines, programmable window switch, and choice between a 5.4/5.8 plate or NOS fogger nozzle and 12 jets.

I'd be willing to trade it and some money(not much), for a decent collection of turbo related parts. I'd have no problem sending it first so you could check it out before committing to the right person(you guys tell me they're ok and trustworthy). I got this kit in a trade not too long ago, tested all the solenoids, they don't leak(tested with full bottle) and open/close as they should.

TrboGT

Aug 29, 2016
I wasn't trying to start some ridiculous pissing match. I have had both of my w-bodies since new, I just wanted to offer some friendly advice based on the information given and my experience with the cars I have and costs that have been associated with the different builds. I don't know any of you guys, I only joined here when the other 3800 forums died. Sorry if my post came off in a mean way davesgtp. Just trying to help. I'll keep my opinions to myself.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
No man you didn't bother me a bit?!? When did I say that? All I said was thank you when you mentioned you'd look for some parts you may have.im unsure of where you got that I was upset with you from.cause I'm not at all! No pissing match here whatsoever man. Lol. Everything is fine except for me not being able to find a crossover.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Diesel boys do it:
BGnWXZlCAAAZeDK.jpg

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry guys been down with the flu, literally haven't touched my phone. Still not 100% right. Feel like shit.

Gtpower how much to make one? do you already have a t3 flange on hand? I could send one, I'm assuming if your like me you probably have about 20 stock crossovers lying around?

Well guys it looks like hood exit it is! Fuck it idc lol. I can deal with a sooty windshield. I'm gonna go for the record on how many stock trans I can blow up before this coming fall. I have a few good ones on hand already. Luckily it only takes an evening to swap them out. Lol

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
On my stock GTP that I turbo'd I cranked up the TQ management to pull a bunch of power between shifts. That should help save the clutches and the hard parts for a whilst. If it starts wheel hopping during mid gear when the TQ band is the strongest, you'll want to get out of it before you snap an input shaft or something else. Those two things will insure the trans will last as long as possible in stock form.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Sorry guys been down with the flu, literally haven't touched my phone. Still not 100% right. Feel like shit.

Gtpower how much to make one? do you already have a t3 flange on hand? I could send one, I'm assuming if your like me you probably have about 20 stock crossovers lying around?

Well guys it looks like hood exit it is! Fuck it idc lol. I can deal with a sooty windshield. I'm gonna go for the record on how many stock trans I can blow up before this coming fall. I have a few good ones on hand already. Luckily it only takes an evening to swap them out. Lol

Yeah I have lots of crossovers. You could send me your flange if you want. I did see that I can buy them for $14 shipped on eBay as well though.

I can build a crossover for $100 shipped to you. It's not going to be the prettiest thing and it will rust, but it will be functional.

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
Well that's all I'm looking for. I'm not worried about pretty. Pm me your PayPal info, I should be able to get that sent to you by the 1st of March. If you want to send me an address or Po box I can get a flange coming ahead of time so you already have it on hand when the 100$ is sent. I'm definitely going to take you up on this.

I already have a t3 to t3 adapter with a waste gate flange on the side of it. Just hoping it'll all work out lining up for the dump out near the front of the engine/trans by the AC lines/condenser, fan etc. Got that for free from a friend, if it doesn't work I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

Thanks man

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info