Some states bumping up laws to slow catalytic converter theft

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
dicaprio-maybe.gif

• It's funny, you're a funny guy
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
How hard would it be to stamp VIN numbers on cats at the factories? Defaced VIN means the cat can't be sold legally. VIN must be checked against a stolen cat registry. At least make it a bit more difficult for the criminals.
Literally what the bill is about….do you not watch your own videos?

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
How hard would it be to stamp VIN numbers on cats at the factories? Defaced VIN means the cat can't be sold legally. VIN must be checked against a stolen cat registry. At least make it a bit more difficult for the criminals.
Issue is that the factory does not build the cats in house, a third part makes them, and not all parts are for the assembly line, some go to the warehouses for replacements, manufacturers know the amount needed per model year build, but it would slow down production if a vin needs to be stamped.

Most if not all parts for a car are rarely stamped with vins, hence only have a dash vin plate and everything else is a sticker in the door jamb or miscellaneous sticker on body panels, mostly used for inspections for quality control at the manufacturer and a good way to see if they are missing showing panels have been replaced when buying a car. Speciality / exotic / car thats different as they are low number builds and well documented.

Also the issue comes up with warranty replacement or customer pay replacement, not as much cat replacements as their use to be, but still see lazy o2’s causing cat issues etc.. what do you do then with a new cat that is vin less?

And salvage yards are going to salvage yard, they can care less on if it has a vin or not. Salvage yards are the pawn shops of automotive industry.

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
That’s about as stupid as stop and frisk. You obviously don’t know how this shit works in real life. You go off some dumb ass shit you see on the internet. They used to stamp car windows and other car parts with vin#’s to “prevent auto thefts”. It didnt stop or slow down shit just as this stupid fucking idea isnt gonna do shit.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Vin numbers are easily read from the outside of a car. Snap a pic and make sure you sell it quick? I don’t get what this does for anti theft.

*VIN. VIN Number is redundant. Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo, WTF Captain Pedantic, you're slipping!

Ive already said in this thread. None of this shit is going to stop it. Nothing Congress or your local government does will stop it. If anything it’s going to drive the price up on the black market.
Serious question, what about having the VIN stamped on the cat, and to turn it in for scrap you also needed the title to the car, with ID, to show you're the legal owner? Both are then recorded. I'm not saying it would resolve the problem 100%, but it might help a little.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
*VIN. VIN Number is redundant. Jimy Bilmo Dr. Jimbo, WTF Captain Pedantic, you're slipping!

Serious question, what about having the VIN stamped on the cat, and to turn it in for scrap you also needed the title to the car, with ID, to show you're the legal owner? Both are then recorded. I'm not saying it would resolve the problem 100%, but it might help a little.
You can’t be fucking serious
Have you ever dealt with a scrap yard or people that buy cats?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info