some ab full data

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so shaking off the slows i don't think i'm at last year's pace but maybe not too much slower. from monday my last session with a passenger was really pretty consistent 2:56s off a prior 2:55. consistently slow but consistent nonetheless, these laps were super close!

uwIGwAH.png

i thought i was doing better around both south and north vs. last year, alas no new best time. my passenger was my buddy artie, who has a far less modded car and has done this less times, but has more mad skillz and is quicker than me. some relevant mods are i have e85/header/tune, he has 93/header/tune. i don't appear to accelerate any better (i have both cats he has neither, not sure if it matters tho.) i've got a BBK and he's got stock calipers. iirc he's on 245s on 9" wheels while i'm on 225s on 8" wheels.

his general comment was that he liked my lines, but he would be braking later and getting on the gas sooner.

i've always none i was decent at south but slower on north. the data shows this as well; here's some default numbers and splits of the track and with our data.

6mOxXc5.jpg

i'm on top and artie is on bottom. the yellow is best rolling lap, which was actually artie's best full lap (a nice 2:50.495). the gap between our times is clearly larger once i hit north.

zooming in we can look at the back straight on south and the transition straight to north. artie's gps speed in green (works nicer than black for his car) and my data in not so world rally blue. artie has a solo while i have a solo dl, which means i can collect obd2 data too; it would be interesting to see his throttle pedal but we don't have it. the red is mine.

it goes down to 0% although that's off the bottom of the chart which i chose not to show so as to better see our speed differences (kind of a hard chart to manipulate) - it's not showing the y-graph but you can see in the top right the min/max is between 0 and 100%, which those flat peaks are.

HXNYOPT.png

we can see from sector 8 - patience and entering the south straight - that artie was carrying more speed and i was doing some partial throttle cruising. he's almost certainly at 100% throttle before me. his 3rd gear seems to at least pull more smoothly than mine here.

it would be interesting to see his throttle % and speed of his shifts. his 4th gear seems to be opening the gap and accelerating better than mine. my peak speed is here (red triangle) - 100.8, but not his. looks like he keeps going and brakes later, but the slope of his green line is better than my blue down so he's braking harder too. we hit both our bottoms here before the straight onto north, artie at 44.2 and me at 44.8. he's on the gas earlier and i clearly am partial where i probably don't have to worry or need to be - it's not like brz power is going to goose me into some trouble like a z06 or something might here. he's ahead of me but i don't know if the slope of our 3rd is any different. i seem to catch up where he shifts. 4th gear he seems to clearly pull on me though. his top speed is on this straight, a 102.

his decel slope is greater as he is braking harder. he also dips to take the turn at 69 where i'm going 67 - he's also throttling out, while i appear to kind of coast downward, and get worse to the right of the image show. on the splits you can also see this one, the split after the bue labeled 9, is my worst gap vs. artie. i suppose it's also a long one where my slowness can compound, but if you asked me what my weakest part of the entire track is, it would be the green turns between the labeled 9 and 10 corners as well as corner 10.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So it seems to me on S11 that he is braking harder before the first part of it which is setting himself up to get on the throttle sooner through S12. Where you are probably taking off less speed and coming out wider which is setting it up so you can't get on the throttle as hard through s12? Or am I reading the data wrong?

Autobahn_map.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
this is data from an aim solo (gps/accel) and aim solo dl (gps/accel/obd2) looked at in aim software. i can add more laps (and more drivers) as well.

we actually have a lot of info from a south track day last year where a bunch of us attended, should have even more this year. you can download data and the tool here if you'd like to look at it. the only negative about the aim is she's a pricey lady

https://www.igobyplane.com/autobahn-south-86-data/

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
So it seems to me on S11 that he is braking harder before the first part of it which is setting himself up to get on the throttle sooner through S12. Where you are probably taking off less speed and coming out wider which is setting it up so you can't get on the throttle as hard through s12? Or am I reading the data wrong?

Autobahn_map.jpg

i think that's a fair read, i think i go into the turn sloppy at s11 a lot and end up with a not so smooth s12

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
How far up on the curb are you hitting S11? Or is that just a fwd thing? I usually cut that corner so I can be full throttle right after all the way from S11 until N3. Not saying it is the best just the best way I have found to be on the throttle earlier through there as it leads to a long straight.

Will try and upload my video/data soon although it isn't super comparable in it's current format.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
How far up on the curb are you hitting S11? Or is that just a fwd thing? I usually cut that corner so I can be full throttle right after all the way from S11 until N3. Not saying it is the best just the best way I have found to be on the throttle earlier through there as it leads to a long straight.

Will try and upload my video/data soon although it isn't super comparable in it's current format.

i have run over it a fair amount in the past, although i see my fastest lap last year (attempting to start vid at 8:02)

https://youtu.be/IGwBuwITSw8?t=8m2s

you can see i don't much hit it. this is probably more of my line now although the fast one in anyone's car is to get a wheel on it good for sure, i think?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
so i tried drawing both our lines on the track (i think mine is somewhat inaccurate but over all pretty good) - this kinda backfired though. you can see mine here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=18fEPVDa8HIoByK2UCSb0fTVpmOU&usp=sharing

but not artie's. it looks like the map the software makes looks at speed and gyro to assemble the map but does not use actual gps positions. gps positions are what is used to draw the map on google or to draw it on a video. my aim solo dl is recording gps positions, but his aim solo is not. unfortunate.

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood

I was almost touching dirt to right of berm Monday. Should try to use as much as possible there

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info