So the Florida used car market is horrifying.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Yeah so the week we moved down here, I decided to get my new DD. lightly used hopefully. And to my surprise, there were several dealers with hundreds of used cars in the $4k-$6k range. YAY.

NO.

There is this problem here in Florida. DEALER FEES. When you try to buy a new or used car from a new car dealer, there is no cap to the fees they can charge you. And to get a new plate is $500. So in looking at used cars at a new car dealer, I found that you literally have to take their price, and add $1500 to it. Even more at certain places. And to make it worse, I have been told more than 6 times by various car dealers that around tax time, all dealers jack up their prices because people generally buy more cars when their tax returns come in. This is a real thing here.

So here I am looking at new car dealers, at cars that should be $5k, but are now $8995+$1500+....... and so on. This is NUTS. But it gets worse.

So Im like fuck those new car dealers, there has to be small car dealers around here that only deal in used cars. Tons in IL with good clean cars.

NOT HERE. Yes those dealers exist, but they dont deal in quality used cars. They deal in the SHIT junkers that the dealers take in on trade for $500, then dump literally same day into the lots of the used car dealers. These are junk box cars with yellow headlights, faded paint and TONS of body issues as well as mechanical issues. None cleaned or even washed.

And again, these cars are $5k for 180k mile mountaineers and 220k 15 year old mercedes cars. All with their standard YELLOW headlight lenses and maaco paint jobs. I had one dealer try to tell me that the entire side of this car that was clearly painted and not cleared or wet sanded was just "touched up". Fucking Lulz.

So I searched for 4 days straight. Met and passed on probably 15 cars that were private, and small dealer/car flipper cars. All had "clean titles" but looked like they were held together with piano wire.

And finally I stumbled on the Hertz rent a car retail sales dealer. Yes I know, former rental cars are usually beat hard. But thats worlds better than what I was seeing. So they had the inventory packed of identical camrys, accords and sonatas. As well as altimas and all other jap 4 doors. There were two levels . 2017 cars with 43k miles for $12k and 2017 cars with 73k miles for $9k.

JACKPOT. We ended up driving and loving a super clean 2017 Hyundai Sonata with 73k. The dealer fee was $600 and the plate was $400. But its the best I could do, and it was a 2017, not a 2010 with 140k miles. So otd it was just over $10k. Best part is it comes with a 12/12 from hertz. The body and interior is PERFECT. Not a blemish. Tires were replaced recently and it had full service history from day one. This was the best I could do guys. The used car market down here is sketchy as shit, and I was done fighting with scammers and car flippers to not get killed on a junk box. We were quoted the same price on a 2010 Honda Accord with 176k miles that was in Ok condition, but still had an incorrectly installed front bumper from a maaco respray. Who the fuck knows why it needed it, but habib Jamali said it was never in an accident...

Anyway, the new car is going in for 15% tints. And its needed down here. The only way to not get completely screwed down here is to just buy new. Anyway check it out.

56165095_10213276976349912_3314637312721158144_o.jpg

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Are flood cars common too?

I’d assume rust too.

Not too sure about that. Every car I looked at had a claimed clean title. And not one had rust. Even the under body was ok. But you could see the toll the sun takes on cars down here. Everything not painted is faded. And most of the older cars 8-12 years old, have super faded hoods and roofs. And almost every singe one had yellow headlights. The weather is great down here, but man the cars are taking the brunt of the heat/sun.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Agreed the market here is sketchy.

Dealers go after northerners, especially. They consider you suckers. I discovered this after I moved down here.

Now, I NEVER pay the price anyone is asking. It's a ripoff price. They toss it out and I tell them I can get 10 of the same car cheaper and then toss out a lowball. That gets negotiations started. Once they realize they aren't going to get the ripoff price, the lower price shows up.

Many of the craigslist and other online ads are fake. People lie their asses off. Ask a LOT of questions and count the red flags.

That said, you can get great deals down here because no snow. No salt. Cars last a lot longer.

As far as floods, we haven't had any since the panhandle got hit so it's not bad now. Always check the cars out thoroughly. At the least get the Carfax and pass if there are any issues.

You have to buy a plate down here. After that it's not as bad for renewals. Just don't lose the plate.

Wait until you see the higher cost of insurance down here. And it's no fault which sucks IMO.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Buy a car out of state. If you can and if you can save money doing so.

The next new one I get, for sure. Fuck those dealer fees. They even jack up the plate (tag) costs. The real deal cost for a new tag at the DMV is $225. The dealers are asking $400-$600 for a new tag. Once you get one, its cheap to transfer it though. But that initial cost is huge.

Moving down here has been a learning experience for sure.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Agreed the market here is sketchy.

Dealers go after northerners, especially. They consider you suckers. I discovered this after I moved down here.

Now, I NEVER pay the price anyone is asking. It's a ripoff price. They toss it out and I tell them I can get 10 of the same car cheaper and then toss out a lowball. That gets negotiations started. Once they realize they aren't going to get the ripoff price, the lower price shows up.

Many of the craigslist and other online ads are fake. People lie their asses off. Ask a LOT of questions and count the red flags.

That said, you can get great deals down here because no snow. No salt. Cars last a lot longer.

As far as floods, we haven't had any since the panhandle got hit so it's not bad now. Always check the cars out thoroughly. At the least get the Carfax and pass if there are any issues.

You have to buy a plate down here. After that it's not as bad for renewals. Just don't lose the plate.

Wait until you see the higher cost of insurance down here. And it's no fault which sucks IMO.

Yes our car insurance doubled in price monthly, no joke. And the deposits we had to pay for all the utilities was astronomical. They are not credit based, they are just there for everyone to pay. I paid like $400 deposit for electric and over $300 for water and so on.

We did get a nice house. 3000 sqft in land o lakes in one of the designer subdivisions where they have the full rec center, pools and the fishing lake. Its like a resort here. And I got a job in north tampa, so Im 30 minutes door to door. Almost same money to the dollar too. Its working out well, but shit its been expensive to get going. Just dropped another $110 on our new FL licenses today. We have to get a new plate for the other car and the challenger. Thats going to be another $750 ish at the "tax collector". Thats what they call the DMV...lol . Its so weird down here guys. But tomorrow we are going to clearwater beach for the day. Something that would have costed us $2500 to do if we still lived in IL.

:trump:

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
The next new one I get, for sure. Fuck those dealer fees. They even jack up the plate (tag) costs. The real deal cost for a new tag at the DMV is $225. The dealers are asking $400-$600 for a new tag. Once you get one, its cheap to transfer it though. But that initial cost is huge.

Moving down here has been a learning experience for sure.

I just paid a little over 700 for new registration. For my new Charger. It’s good until September 2020 though.

But. I have to pay another 400 this September to renew my Camaro. I have an old Grand Am. Too. Costs like 70 I think. Fuck Indiana and their vehicle excise tax. Lol.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/2492.htm

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yes our car insurance doubled in price monthly, no joke. And the deposits we had to pay for all the utilities was astronomical. They are not credit based, they are just there for everyone to pay. I paid like $400 deposit for electric and over $300 for water and so on.

We did get a nice house. 3000 sqft in land o lakes in one of the designer subdivisions where they have the full rec center, pools and the fishing lake. Its like a resort here. And I got a job in north tampa, so Im 30 minutes door to door. Almost same money to the dollar too. Its working out well, but shit its been expensive to get going. Just dropped another $110 on our new FL licenses today. We have to get a new plate for the other car and the challenger. Thats going to be another $750 ish at the "tax collector". Thats what they call the DMV...lol . Its so weird down here guys. But tomorrow we are going to clearwater beach for the day. Something that would have costed us $2500 to do if we still lived in IL.

:trump:

You can go to the beach every day if you want. Disney is only a couple hours away, too, and there are a LOT of tourist attractions in Orlando. Tampa has a bunch of stuff to do, too. I go to Raymond James stadium when the Bears come in town and stop at a Chicago style restaurant for a deep dish pizza.

Wait until you see how often it's a nice day and the sun is out.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
You can go to the beach every day if you want. Disney is only a couple hours away, too, and there are a LOT of tourist attractions in Orlando. Tampa has a bunch of stuff to do, too. I go to Raymond James stadium when the Bears come in town and stop at a Chicago style restaurant for a deep dish pizza.

Wait until you see how often it's a nice day and the sun is out.

Yeah we've been here for just over a week. And its literally been 78+ and deep blue skies every day. I can say maybe its just in my head, but I dont think Ive ever seen the sky as blue as it is down here.

Yesterday I had lunch at a roof top resturant in tampa with some coworkers outside. Sunglasses and cold ones. Then back to work lol. And FUCK ME do people drive fast here. Speed limit is 50 means you go 70 or get eaten alive. Thats on normal roads too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info