So should I keep it? It followed me home

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Always loved these! And that color combo is insanely awesome. I'd keep this thing...

I approve! Keep it! I love these!!!

Thanks guys; I pulled the trigger and registered it this morning.

The plates I ordered are "NO WRNTY" :rofl:

I think it sounds like an exotic in the upper RPM range, underpasses are entertaining, that's for sure.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
I love the F out of E46 M3s. If I had any money I'd make you an offer right meow.

That being said, there's no way in hell it's anywhere near as quick as the Mustang. I straight ran away from a modded E46 M3 down north Ave a few months back, wasn't even close. Still one of my favorite cars of all time but, can't hold water in any acceleration contest with a Coyote.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I love the F out of E46 M3s. If I had any money I'd make you an offer right meow.

That being said, there's no way in hell it's anywhere near as quick as the Mustang. I straight ran away from a modded E46 M3 down north Ave a few months back, wasn't even close. Still one of my favorite cars of all time but, can't hold water in any acceleration contest with a Coyote.

"Magazine" times were 13 seconds flat for E46 M3's, my fat cow of a convertible has run a best of a 12.99 its first time out with the FRPP Power Pack and nothing else. Its down nearly 100hp 'on paper' to the Mustang, and only 200lbs lighter.

Winding it out to 8,000 RPM freaks me out a little, and apparently the SMG cars have Launch Control :riski:, it doesn't feel as 'angry' as the Mustang does, I'd be curious to see dyno charts side by side just to see how the power delivery is.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
id be so torn between a newer stick 428i & a e39 m5...

the newer 4 series just look awesome to me.

2014-bmw-428i-exterior-01-600-001.jpg

and can be had for low 20's with under 50-60k miles... whereas e39 m5s with 150k miles are 13-14k

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
"Magazine" times were 13 seconds flat for E46 M3's, my fat cow of a convertible has run a best of a 12.99 its first time out with the FRPP Power Pack and nothing else. Its down nearly 100hp 'on paper' to the Mustang, and only 200lbs lighter.

Winding it out to 8,000 RPM freaks me out a little, and apparently the SMG cars have Launch Control :riski:, it doesn't feel as 'angry' as the Mustang does, I'd be curious to see dyno charts side by side just to see how the power delivery is.

I feel like you must not have been really leaning on it that hard at the track if that's the case. What was your trap speed? Mine went 12.6@112 bone ass stock except for lower control arms.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I feel like you must not have been really leaning on it that hard at the track if that's the case. What was your trap speed? Mine went 12.6@112 bone ass stock except for lower control arms.

Convertible non track pack car.

My hard hard top (non track pack) went 12.8 stock down to the tank of gas it came with.

It went 12.58 with the FRPP package at 113.

My vert went 13.0 stock, 12.8 at 110 with the FRPP package.

Track pack cars are normally 2-3 tenths faster thanks to the 3.73s

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've been Craigslist-ing these so hard, but I'd have to find a deal like I'm assuming you got Das to warrant it.

The problem with craigslist examples that I've seen, is that few have any significant kind of documented history. Those that do have a pretty clear premium, or are modified making the history dubious anyways.

I got a good enough deal on this car that Carmax had already offered me more than I paid for it (I was just expecting them to offer about what I paid given it would just go to auction). Being I bought it from a friend, I made sure he knew I wasn't out to screw him and offered initially "I'll be glad to help you sell it, or buy it myself, but if I buy it, it will need to be cheap enough that I cannot loose money on it", since I'm not at a place where I can have financial risk given having a new born. He told me what he'd be happy with (which was already a comfortable number), and I asked for A few hundred less to cover my time and rental costs to get the thing out of his car park and he obliged.

This specific car I know the history on between the past 2 owners as they were both friends, which gave me visibility of the past nearly 8 years. Getting paperwork to back it up will be a bigger challenge, but shouldn't be unattainable.

BMW confirmed Rod Bearings were done, and my friend has "Inspection 1" done to the car about 7 years ago ( but only 12,000 miles ago).

So yea, I was super lucky to be able to buy it knowing it's not a time bomb, and having a clear picture of what it needs.

The downside is that I could throw $4,000-5,000 at this car in a hurry to get it 100% again (body work, tires, and cats) and I'd see that money and then some back out of it if I flipped it. Given that I really want to keep the car, that's money I really can't afford to throw at it right now, so it's probably just going to sit until spring after next month.

Thread Info