So its raining right now.....

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I remember years back, when we had hail damage to our roof. The storm chasers came through and gave us a free inspection, which then told us that we had damage. Anyway, we called it in to State Farm, had some private companies come out and confirm that was the case, we submitted the claim and State Farm paid us. I recall before asking for the money, if this would increase our rates and they said "no" because it was an act of God. I know in auto, that goes against the comp portion of your policy. Not sure if it's the same on home claims.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I remember years back, when we had hail damage to our roof. The storm chasers came through and gave us a free inspection, which then told us that we had damage. Anyway, we called it in to State Farm, had some private companies come out and confirm that was the case, we submitted the claim and State Farm paid us. I recall before asking for the money, if this would increase our rates and they said "no" because it was an act of God. I know in auto, that goes against the comp portion of your policy. Not sure if it's the same on home claims.
They still raise the rates and blame it on "others" claims around the whole Country.

Reactions: Blood on Blood

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
34 hours and got our power back. Neighbors yard is still fucked. Comeds guys just chopped the tree up to get it off the power line and left all the pieces. Will be interesting to see how they get giant logs out of a backyard with minimal access on either side.
I'm thinking those need to disappear somewhere you have possession of them to dry out, then, firepit!

Did you happen to have a generator? After the last outage here I went and got one (inverter generator). Primary purpose to keep the fridge cold since we have special feline medicine that has to be kept in a specific temperature range. It's only draw 5.2A, so any generator over 624W would be fine, but I wanted one that would run that and be at less than 50% load. So got a 2200/1700 that runs 12 hours per tank at 25% load. Thought about getting the next one up that came with a L5-30R, but don't have a camper to plug it into, though I could get an adapter to make it a duplex receptacle. But it was another $200 or $300.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My dad has a good size generator but we didn’t even bother. Took our food to my parents and the rest in some coolers. With how hot it was and having a 12 week old we just abandoned ship.
When my dad lost power and his generator took a crap I grabbed one from Costco for him. 9400/8400/7400 (gas, LPG, natural gas). Not only can he run all his appliances he can keep his hot tub warm hot, lol.

Reactions: DanJ

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I'm thinking those need to disappear somewhere you have possession of them to dry out, then, firepit!

Did you happen to have a generator? After the last outage here I went and got one (inverter generator). Primary purpose to keep the fridge cold since we have special feline medicine that has to be kept in a specific temperature range. It's only draw 5.2A, so any generator over 624W would be fine, but I wanted one that would run that and be at less than 50% load. So got a 2200/1700 that runs 12 hours per tank at 25% load. Thought about getting the next one up that came with a L5-30R, but don't have a camper to plug it into, though I could get an adapter to make it a duplex receptacle. But it was another $200 or $300.
Get yourself a tiny RV fridge for her medicine and you can turn that 624W into 60W and can basically run it off solar at that point.

Just an idea. Systems like that are very affordable nowadays.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Get yourself a tiny RV fridge for her medicine and you can turn that 624W into 60W and can basically run it off solar at that point.

Just an idea. Systems like that are very affordable nowadays.
That's a really good idea!

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I went out chasing last week. It was one of the craziest days all year. Supercells kept popping up one after another. I started out near Kirkland and started watching a wall cloud. I was just getting out of my car to grab my camera out of my bag in the backseat and see a funnel cloud. As soon as I got my camera out it was gone
After that I headed a little east and it was a clusterfuck with storm chasers. I tried going after the Burlington tornado. It had a debris signature on the radar. I caught the tail end of it.
Then my wife texted me and said she was going to go home. I saw a storm to the west of Sycamore but thought it would be nothing so I went home too. Turns out my wife went after it and it produced a really nice Tornado.
It's also kind of scary because the Burlington one was only 3 miles from my house

IMG_20210809_163825519.jpg

IMG_20210809_174219104.jpg

FB_IMG_1629038504101.jpg

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Lightning either struck my house or very close. I was in the garage when it happened and I think *I* hit the ceiling I jumped so high. Power surged, and weird shit started happening like the printer started printing random jobs, all the clocks reset but the power never went out. The garage door opener fried, and my whole slew of modem/router/TV bit the dust too - even though all on a surge protector. Cmon.

Thread Info