So its raining right now.....

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
1.3-1.4” in my gauge. Dark sky says another 2 tomorrow. Went up to the second story gutter on the back of the house for the third time this year since it was overflowing this morning a handful of leaves was blocking it. I want to upgrade from 2”x3” to 3x4 downspouts in the back. They’re kind of chunky looking but i don’t think they’d clog as much.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Well, the water didn’t “look” that deep.

turns out I had nowhere near enough ground clearance. Bicycle shoes and socks are soaked.

247559D4-357C-4378-9793-5370BF44E0FC.jpg
923EC333-E141-4476-A743-9C9C11ABE6CC.jpg

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
Standing water in my basement, 2 days in a row. Except when I left at 430am this morning it was fine. The micro burst came through, and by 7am my wife calls me and said the 2nd floor was flooding and carpet was soaked. Come to find out, 13 years in my house, the sump pit was tied into the sewage line going out. Ok, thats fine. It had a check valve on that line. But the pump was running so much to keep up, it back fed in the bathroom and overfill the toilet and tub [emoji17] what a fun filled day
20210626_073025.jpg

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Come to find out, 13 years in my house, the sump pit was tied into the sewage line going out. Ok, thats fine. It had a check valve on that line.
Ok I gotta ask, how did you not know this lol. I’m no bob vila but I check my sump discharge every spring to make sure it doesn’t get blocked (it has before)

they actually smoked out the sewers in my subdivision last year to identify any houses that ran their sump to the sewer system

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Ok I gotta ask, how did you not know this lol. I’m no bob vila but I check my sump discharge every spring to make sure it doesn’t get blocked (it has before)

they actually smoked out the sewers in my subdivision last year to identify any houses that ran their sump to the sewer system
They do that to us to but they mail a advance notice. My main goes into the sewer and the back up outside. I can disconnect the main and pull it out in a matter of seconds.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
They do that to us to but they mail a advance notice. My main goes into the sewer and the back up outside. I can disconnect the main and pull it out in a matter of seconds.

How does that work? Does the smoke start coming out of the sump pit or something?

Mine is tied into the sewer, but it's also an ejection pump for the stuff in the basement. It's an old house so maybe it's grandfathered in - in any event, my town doesn't seem to give a shit.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
How does that work? Does the smoke start coming out of the sump pit or something?

Mine is tied into the sewer, but it's also an ejection pump for the stuff in the basement. It's an old house so maybe it's grandfathered in - in any event, my town doesn't seem to give a shit.
Smoking the sewer should cause it to come out your roof vents. If your sump pump is hooked up should go into your basement in theory.

Reactions: Smokinhot

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Smoking the sewer should cause it to come out your roof vents. If your sump pump is hooked up should go into your basement in theory.

Ah. With mine having a check valve and usually some water sitting on top of the valve, I doubt it would make it's way through. That particular line also runs straight up to the vent as well, so I'd imagine the smoke would take the path of least resistance.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)

Well, personally I didn't know the rules and I absolutely never had a sump issue until mine failed. Then when it had more water than it ever had to handle it backed up.

I corrected the issue now, but the damage has been done.View attachment 93171View attachment 93173View attachment 93172View attachment 93174
20210627_143923.jpg

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin

I have two. I have a dedicated ejector pump (or the "shit pit" as I call it), and the dedicated sump pump in another hole. Even if they (Elgin) introduced smoke to the sewer, the shit pit pump has a check valve in it. So not sure what would be accomplished.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
There is a storm out near Quincy IL, so quite a few hours away. Other that, maybe a bit of light rain soon?

Either way I'm fine with this. The g/f finally decided to get off her ass and wanted to go for a bicycle ride, after I've been pushing her to do so for 2+ years. I did 35+ miles yesterday, so my legs could use the break.

1624894856170.png

Thread Info