So its raining right now.....

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I would be in agreement with that. While a very small number of homes were totally leveled. Looking closer at the photos the homes right next door on either side had minor damage in Contrast, and homes behind close by were not leveled. Makes me lean more towards those small amount of homes were not well built. Making them the minority in this review. Overall I would say 1-2 level.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I would be in agreement with that. While a very small number of homes were totally leveled. Looking closer at the photos the homes right next door on either side had minor damage in Contrast, and homes behind close by were not leveled. Makes me lean more towards those small amount of homes were not well built. Making them the minority in this review. Overall I would say 1-2 level.

You’re a jack of all trades. A tornado expert and a structural engineer. This is probably a one in a million event where you get to use both of your expertise here locally.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
1624301643949.png

1624301663500.png

1624301684345.png

1624301700221.png

1624301715744.png

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
You’re a jack of all trades. A tornado expert and a structural engineer. This is probably a one in a million event where you get to use both of your expertise here locally.

Thanks! Glad I could actually help. Sarcasm of course like your post.

I’ve actually been extremely into weather and tornadoes since I was maybe 6 years old? I would study storms, look at tons of damage photos. Actually would go out and photograph the storms locally as well. Like many here actually. I was giving my non expert opinion. It’s actually not far fetched at all. It’s an odd destruction pattern. It’s not like you see a line of clearly destroyed homes. You get 1, then minor damage, then another, then minor damage. Coupled with the storm coming at night it’s hard to give an good representation of what happened by photo or video evidence of the event.

Again it was clearly a hunch and guess. Posts and sly attacks like yours are reasons why members have left this forum and never returned.

Glad I could help. I don’t come here often anymore like I used to, and I see I haven’t missed much

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Thanks! Glad I could actually help. Sarcasm of course like your post.

I’ve actually been extremely into weather and tornadoes since I was maybe 6 years old? I would study storms, look at tons of damage photos. Actually would go out and photograph the storms locally as well. Like many here actually. I was giving my non expert opinion. It’s actually not far fetched at all. It’s an odd destruction pattern. It’s not like you see a line of clearly destroyed homes. You get 1, then minor damage, then another, then minor damage. Coupled with the storm coming at night it’s hard to give an good representation of what happened by photo or video evidence of the event.

Again it was clearly a hunch and guess. Posts and sly attacks like yours are reasons why members have left this forum and never returned.

Glad I could help. I don’t come here often anymore like I used to, and I see I haven’t missed much

I was just busting your balls. At the end of the day, us arguing about an EF-1 vs EF-2 vs. EF-3 doesn't matter to the guy who had his roof torn off or his house and life belongings destroyed. Thank god that no one was killed because at the end of the day, that's what matters.

It's cool that your passionate about weather, but there's two things that you missed. First, scientifically the EF scale is determined by wind speed and NOT damage. This brings me up to a very important second point. Building codes/standard vary by city, county, and state. So looking at damage on structure in Grundy vs Dupage isn't apples to oranges or better yet Dupage vs another state. Additionally, codes are refined and updated along with building standards. Therefore looking at damage pics doesn't really scientifically tell us much.

No need to leave. This forum is a lot more friendly than say the guys at WallStreetBets which would have probably told you to f' off.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
NWS Chicago:

"3:50 PM Update: Our survey teams found damage consistent with an EF-3 rating on the Enhanced Fujita Scale in Naperville from the tornado that touched down on 6/20/2021. Our teams will continue surveying and additional preliminary info will be available in the coming days."

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Not much damage in Cedar Lake IN. Tornado warning at midnight and was very windy for 10 minuets. The neighbors new trampoline went for a ride and is now bent about 12 different ways. Their kids are pissed lol

I was hoping for a new roof and siding but that didn’t happen.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Someone about to ZXMustang up in here?

Oh, and that tornado was classified as an EF-3

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Friday night about 2am I drove right into it on the way to Kentucky. I was going the same direction as the storm. Saw the lightning in the distance coming down 355 towards it, all the way north at I-88.

Had a few sprinkles until I hit Lowell, IN, then it was rain of biblical proportions all the way until about 20 miles SOUTH of Florence, KY. So about 4 hours of driving in it.

Amazingly, I used my wipers about 3x, each on a single swipe. Between the windshield sealant and ceramic speed shine the water just sheeted off the windshield at 70mph. It was glorious.

I have some video I took that I’ll upload in the morning.

Then caught tonight’s storm on the way home, again, right about Lowell, IN. No one in front of me and visibility dropped to maybe 1/8th mile due to the rainfall. Freshly applied speed shine lived up to the potential, never touched the wipers.

On w/b 80/94 where the construction near Cline is, where the left two lanes split off, then split again, there was a lot of standing water. A few vehicles hydroplaned and tagged the Jersey barriers that are set up. Traffic in those two lanes was really backed up. Fortunately I chose wisely and stayed right. That way in case the roads were bad I would be able to hit the surface streets.

Tonight’s storm added a good hour to my 500 mile drive thanks to the asshats that slowed down to a crawl in the hammer lane with their hazards on being a slow rolling roadblock.

I was out with a veteran storm chaser and we started to head to Bloomington to wait for the storms coming out of Iowa. Then the ones toward Indiana blew up and my friend wanted to go after it. I kept saying no way we would make it. It's at least an hour and a half. Got past Dwight and stopped. Headed home and this happens. It's ok though storm chasing at night is pretty difficult since you can only see tornados when there is lightning.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Not much damage in Cedar Lake IN. Tornado warning at midnight and was very windy for 10 minuets. The neighbors new trampoline went for a ride and is now bent about 12 different ways. Their kids are pissed lol

I was hoping for a new roof and siding but that didn’t happen.

I'll never forget I was driving down Kedzie like 6 years ago as a thunderstorm was rolling in, and one of those cheapo 10x10 tents got sucked up into the updraft or something. It was a solid 100-150 feet in the air twirling around. Craziest shit I've ever seen.

Thread Info