So its raining right now.....

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Went out to get breakfast and came home to this two houses down. Tree snapped at the trunk and took out the power lines through the back yards. ComEd says 44 customers affected currently. These people have only lived here a month and now have to deal with this.

EC5279AD-395C-4E78-9B37-F985C4DC9A50.jpeg

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Went out to get breakfast and came home to this two houses down. Tree snapped at the trunk and took out the power lines through the back yards. ComEd says 44 customers affected currently. These people have only lived here a month and now have to deal with this.

View attachment 96679

that is the shit I’m worried about. We just moved into our place and one tree on the property has been destroyed by carpenter ants. Tree company was supped to look at it this week but with the storms fucked that all up. It’s tall enough that if it falls it would hit the house or the power lines. Neither is a good option.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
that is the shit I’m worried about. We just moved into our place and one tree on the property has been destroyed by carpenter ants. Tree company was supped to look at it this week but with the storms fucked that all up. It’s tall enough that if it falls it would hit the house or the power lines. Neither is a good option.

I have one big maple I worry about. I’m having an arborist come out next year to trim it and check it out.

Reactions: Pewter-Camaro

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Carpenter ants are no joke, they took down a tree just like that at the trunk in my backyard. It wasn't even storming, just a random directional gust of wind snapped it one day. Had no idea ants were in it until I looked at destruction taking place inside the trunk.

I also have a 60 year old white maple in my front yard that would destroy my house if it fell. Its a beautiful mature tree, provides alot of shade and no issues other than common maple tar disease, but that's not harmful I'm told.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Carpenter ants are no joke, they took down a tree just like that at the trunk in my backyard. It wasn't even storming, just a random directional gust of wind snapped it one day. Had no idea ants were in it until I looked at destruction taking place inside the trunk.

I also have a 60 year old white maple in my front yard that would destroy my house if it fell. Its a beautiful mature tree, provides alot of shade and no issues other than common maple tar disease, but that's not harmful I'm told.

Yeah I have some giant old growth trees in the backyard that are great for shade. Not sure what they are but the trunks are 5’ or more in diameter. Also a couple other trees that are a little smaller but fuck they are no joke. Tree company is coming to look at them next week now. I’m not looking forward to the cost to take a 60’ tall tree down.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Yeah I have some giant old growth trees in the backyard that are great for shade. Not sure what they are but the trunks are 5’ or more in diameter. Also a couple other trees that are a little smaller but fuck they are no joke. Tree company is coming to look at them next week now. I’m not looking forward to the cost to take a 60’ tall tree down.

Shop around, but its not cheap. Also collaborate with your neighbors, sometimes you can get a discount if multiple properties are getting work done.

Also if I see a crew working in my area and I need work done, I'll call them and see if they can squeeze me in. If they already have the equipment out, they might pass some savings to you too.

I paid $2.5k to have 5 dying spruce trees removed (30-40' tall each) with stumps grinded, and 2 maples trimmed. Davey tree service did the work.

Thread Info