đź’¬ OT So its raining right now.....

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I’m confused don’t back ups kick on if the main pump takes a crap ? Or do they kick on when the main pump can’t keep on ?
When main cant keep up. With a back up you set the float like 3' higher that the float on the main. So anytime the water hits that float on the back up it kicks on. I guess you could call it a secondary pump as well.

The Beast

TCG Elite Member
May 24, 2004
South beach
Real Name
Go Go
I was watching radar last night because just south of us it looked pitch black. We only got the northern tip of the storm line. It poured like crazy. We lost power several times which is rare for us but you could smell electricity in the air. I was having sump pump issues forever and finally created an irrigation system out of 4 inch tubing that moves the water away from the house...glad I did this last fall
View attachment 54165

Juan that is ugly as hell why haven’t you dug it underneath the ground? My dad and I did something similar but they flow away 8 feet from the house and pop up when water comes up much cleaner than that.

GLADIATOR

aka STROKE-KING
TCG Premium
Mar 29, 2004
New Lenox IL
Juan that is ugly as hell why haven’t you dug it underneath the ground? My dad and I did something similar but they flow away 8 feet from the house and pop up when water comes up much cleaner than that.
I did it late fall around November. I hit some tree roots that had to be cut but it was Fn cold and said I will finish in spring

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Dang. Got a video of the water coming into the pit? My home is fairly low level but my main keeps up.
I dont have a pit in my basement, my house is strange. In front of my house right outside my basement window I have what you might call a pit. Its a sewer cap with a "pit" thats probably 10' deep by 3' round. I believe all my drain tile around the house dumps in to this "pit". But thats where my main and battery back up are. I was lucky enough to get an extension to keep the battery in my basement and out of the elements. Its strange because less than half the houses on my block have this. Its like every 3rd or 4th house on my side of the street then on the other side of the street only 2-3 houses have them.

I have flooded really bad twice in 17 years. Both times it was due to my main sump taking a shit and me not having a back up.
Needless to say both times it came out of my pocket to re-hab the basement.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Member when it was supposed to be horrible today? Off the charts in the tornado scale and we were in the extreme storm zone?

I member. I member the 20 mins of rain I got and that was it. I member

In defense of the NWS, all of the model runs were off the charts. All of the ingredients for strong, long track storms were there, only the clouds didn't move out as fast as they thought.
We went to our Target area of Galesburg, then decided to go into Iowa. When we were in Iowa, storms blew up heading towards Galesburg. That storm had rotation and kept dying and recycling. We saw a cell start growing behind that one and we were sure that one would be the one. Waited for that to get to us and had a nice wall cloud. Almost put down a tornado a couple times, but we ended up following it for a while until it was dark. My wife got a cell phone picture of it in the dark while I was driving.
There were a few other tornados in Illinois last night too.

FB_IMG_1585526147362.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I mean I’m not saying they needed to be right about tornados and where they exactly touched the ground..... but I mean we were “off the charts” for storms.

We and most of Chicago saw zero. Not a drop. This is why most people do not take them seriously. They could say a tornado is outside my house right now with pics and I wouldn’t believe them

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
We get the Peoria channels down here and they had a near zero warning tornado in west peoria last night. We were watching because we were about an hour out and all of a sudden shit went sideways fast. Luckily it picked itself up quick too, otherwise it was going to go right through Peoria itself.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
They're saying that Stillman Valley (out by Byron on 72) had a confirmed twister.

As to how they (sump pumps with backups), work, is usually the secondary pump is mounted a little higher than the main electric pump, so if water is coming in at a rate that the main pump is on all the time and the water level is still increasing, the back up pump (which is still under electric power as long as power is present) will engage. Mine has a separate float not directly connected to the pump like the main pump. As such, I have that mounted just above the main pump. So should my above scenario happen, the battery back-up pump will engage (on electric power at that time), and then the tender will let me know it engaged.

Also, many people (Myself included), if you have a finished basement with a bathroom down there, you will most likely have an ejector pump (a sump pump). I suppose if water can get in there, that would also engage.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.

Cool stuff! I love getting lightning shots just hard to get just the right storm.

Thread Info