• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

so I scored an old tire machine

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Ok guys I'm a farm tire guy by profession and earlier this year I got rid of my dannmar rim clamp unit. Was a nice machine but it was still an overseas machine and had its flaws. Got a screaming deal on this old coats 5060a rim clamp. The a designates it being an air powered turntable which as far as tire machines go this thing could and should be a Cadillac. However it's been used and abused and has some issues.

The clamps want to stay stuck in the outer postion but I'm pretty sure there's a spring on that foot pedal that can remedy that situation but my real concern is there is alot of play in the turntable. Has anyone ever messed with one of these to know if there's a way to tighten it up? What about a source for parts if needed? I'm assuming being a coats I may have to call them and see what they have for insight as a higher end tire slinging machine company but wanted to ask if anyone else has had any experience with them before I go tearing into it too far when I still use the thing. It's just a little awkward game of keeping the duck foot out of the wheel and I'm not super into risking it.

At the same time I don't mind putting some money into it knowing what I have in it and what it is if I get it all fixed up. Tcg needed a tire machine build thread if there isn't one already anyway right?

Snapchat-2063958415.jpg

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Upon further google investigation and digging up a manual I'm guessing its going to need a 7 hundred some dollar transmission or if I'm lucky a 200 dollar rotary coupling but I doubt that. At any rate this is a 5k machine fixed up and coats offers a refurbishing service for 2k. I'd still be ahead as good as I got the thing for but only God knows how long turnaround on something like that would be these days. Going to have to pop the side off of it when I get some more free time and shake shit around and see whats going on down there but I'm thankful for a quality unit I can get parts for. The dannmar I had would've been in the junk pile upon breaking as bendpak bought them out and doesn't carry parts for them anymore. Found that out when the dannmar balancer died and I was left with a big paperweight.

I also scored a matching coats 650 balancer with this machine complete with all the cones. It's the smaller driveshaft but I had a 500 for years and the simplicity never once did me wrong. For what these are I think it'd be awesome to fix them up nice and maybe em paint em cool as they're a pretty iconic set and a staple of tire shops I've worked at over the years being second to none for longevity

Screenshot_20210829-232038_Office.jpg

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
as much as I wouldn't use it man I would love a good tire machine. I am definitely jelly. Shit I would settle for a nice bead breaker. My pos hf tire machine needs to hit the as scrap pile.
I got pretty lucky coming across this gem. I'd have been happy with a hf just to keep the shop open lol. Most of what I do is still with bars out of the back of my pickup chasing semis and tractors keeping things moving around here. Sometimes it really sucks especially in the wintertime fighting tools and frozen air lines but it pays the bills and some of my customers were lost for a while not wanting to use the shops in town when I didn't have one. Really thankful for it even if it does need some work. And the part that sucks really balances itself out with the freedom of running around the county all day instead of being stuck inside somewhere at some job I'd hate and the flexibility to always be where I need to for my kids.

I'm in the machining industry on the dealer side, but it for tire machines, but know a couple 3rd party places that stock odd basic items. Once you open her up, find out the maker of the motor and transmission.
I will for sure! I haven't seen any write ups on the inside of one ever, not that it's super hard with exploded view manuals but I think this would be a great place to start one and I figured someone here would know a little bit more than I do. Maybe a guy can get lucky and fix the transmission that's in it with a bearing or somethin, everything else seems to work as it should. I'll try and get into it as soon but I've got some stuff booked up next couple days and a couple broken rides in my driveway to get fixed and back to their homes that I should probably get done before tearing into my own stuff too far lol. Thank you for the help!

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I got pretty lucky coming across this gem. I'd have been happy with a hf just to keep the shop open lol. Most of what I do is still with bars out of the back of my pickup chasing semis and tractors keeping things moving around here. Sometimes it really sucks especially in the wintertime fighting tools and frozen air lines but it pays the bills and some of my customers were lost for a while not wanting to use the shops in town when I didn't have one. Really thankful for it even if it does need some work. And the part that sucks really balances itself out with the freedom of running around the county all day instead of being stuck inside somewhere at some job I'd hate and the flexibility to always be where I need to for my kids.

I will for sure! I haven't seen any write ups on the inside of one ever, not that it's super hard with exploded view manuals but I think this would be a great place to start one and I figured someone here would know a little bit more than I do. Maybe a guy can get lucky and fix the transmission that's in it with a bearing or somethin, everything else seems to work as it should. I'll try and get into it as soon but I've got some stuff booked up next couple days and a couple broken rides in my driveway to get fixed and back to their homes that I should probably get done before tearing into my own stuff too far lol. Thank you for the help!

I don't deal with tire machines, but am in the machining industry. And know of places that stock bearings and hard to find parts for very reasonable prices.

• Love
Reactions: sktchy

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
I have that same machine at my shop. Dug into it plenty for main/repairs over the years.

-There's a part called the cam mounting block attached on the wheel clamp foot pedal (inside the machine). Chances are it's broken where it mounts to the machine. Just pop the side cover off and look at the back side of the foot pedal.

-They make nylon duckbills so the wheel doesn't get tore up when mounting/dismounting.

-How much play is in the turn table? A few degrees?

That machine is a simple/reliable workhorse. Good pickup for sure.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I have that same machine at my shop. Dug into it plenty for main/repairs over the years.

-There's a part called the cam mounting block attached on the wheel clamp foot pedal (inside the machine). Chances are it's broken where it mounts to the machine. Just pop the side cover off and look at the back side of the foot pedal.

-They make nylon duckbills so the wheel doesn't get tore up when mounting/dismounting.

A bunch of play it's wobbly lol. I haaate plastic duck bills. And I mean that in a literal sense lol. I've screwed up way more wheels and tires with those things flexing and causing problems. It's always been my opinion that if you have the tire on the metal foot correctly and have the arm set right you should never get into a wheel. However it may be a bandaid in this case to give me some breathing room with the wobbly table until I fix it right. Your right about the machine tho a guy couldn't have asked for somethin better once it's fixed

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
So I still haven't torn this thing apart but I've used it enough to know that it's definitely in the transmission itself. I've got a plastic duckfoot comin for it but in the meantime here's my current solution. As well as it works I may have stumbled on to somethin here and I might just leave it and wrap the one at work too.

Snapchat-1199113691.jpg

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Well, this thing has made its way back to me, only this time in pieces. I sold it to a friend of mine who had plans to fix it and just ended up tearing the transmission out of it and giving up before splitting the case on it.
Snapchat-1738686542.jpg

I got it split this morning and toasted my 3 jaw puller trying to get the bearing off the shaft while heating it with a mapp torch. Then I got pissed and just air hammered it off of there so I've got some work to do as far as cleaning up the shaft. Super simple worm drive thing though and I think I have a bearing coming for it in the morning.
Snapchat-776269919.jpg

The one in it is a 6010 rsr which is supposed to measure 80mm outer 50mm inner and 16 wide but it's likely going to have to be a sealed bearing at least on the top to keep the dirt out of it. Parts guy just ordered a few in to see what works so hopefully something out of the few will.

After doin some digging it looks like I can at least upgrade the turntable clamps for bigger wheels so if I can get it back to working again it should be a good reliable machine without having a lot of money into it and hopefully I can come up with a decent cheap balancer to go along with it and get back to doin some stuff out here again.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I thought you had a fancy one.....
Well, my former workplace had a real nice one. But I'd rather fight with this thing and work out of my garage than have all that fancy shop and not be able to pay my bills when I got kids to feed.

Credit apparently isn't where it needs to be to try and order a machine and a lift so I'm just digging up what I can to try and make things work at this point.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I keep saying i want to get a cheaper tire machine and balancer and do this shit on my own. Both personal (as I hate taking it to discount tire and watch their speed demons scuff/scratch my wheels), but also to do it for peeps as a side gig where I can stress being careful with the duckbill and other contact points.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
That's my thing and kinda why I went on this coats. No flex in the arm makes it easier to stay out of wheels and if I get the table tightened up it should last quite a while. I think I might try selling tires again but floating them until they're paid for fucking sucks and no way I have the capital right now. For the time being when I get it back together I'll probably just have people order on ebay or discount tire and have them shipped here to be mounted.

Reactions: CMNTMXR57

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
A mount and balancing machine is on my bucket list as I usually roll through 5+ sets of wheels a year. Roughly how much floor space does this take up?
I would say at the very minimum your gonna need a 4ft by 4ft spot just for the tire machine itself to be able to use the bead breaker. Balancer will probably need at least the same. Ideally for both by the time you throw tires on and off of them I'd say a 6x12 area. I'm shooting more for about a 5x8 corner in my garage but your machines can vary in size and I'm hoping to get my little 500 series or 650 coats balancer back that doesn't take up a lot of real estate. Most big 38mm shaft balancers are gonna take up at least what the tire machine does and maybe more. Post mount manual balancer is really where it's at if a guy wants to drop a couple grand on one and save as much space as possible, also more accurate.
Snapchat-184783113.jpg

This is the area I plan to use it in. I'm gonna move my cherry picker over and try to put a balancer up against that corner and move the machine a little further out so I have room to do what I need to.

I'm also clearly tryin to do this in my usual way of as cheap as possible. I got this thing back on trade for some good used truck tires I had from before and I'm hoping to get a bearing for less than 50 bucks. Gonna try and trade one of my Milwaukee impacts for my old balancer. If that doesn't work out I may be into it a little deeper if I can get it or I have a friend with one that got left out in the rain for 50 bucks but who knows how that'll go. For the small coats I had they can go from 300 to 1500 quick used and for a machine like this even in this shape wouldn't go for under 500. Even with the wobbly table and working is probably 1500 and fully restored an easy 5k since it's the air powered turn table and infinitely rebuildable with replacement parts whereas a cheaper off brand machine may end up being throwaway when a company gets bought out and they throw the parts books in the trash.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Got everything in the bottom case ran through the parts washer and cleaned up. Used a carbide and a cut off wheel to straighten up the snap ring groove I fucked up with the air hammer and the bearing seat. All the other bearings felt pretty good so I put everything back together and dumped some gear oil (idk what spec calls for and I could care less I'm sure 80w90 is fine for it and half the time I use it for assembly lube anyway) on the bearings themselves and the worm drive. Gave it a few turns by hand to get some oil in the worm gear and then tossed some more on for good measure and spun it with a drill.

Everything seems to be in good shape so I'm hoping to get the right top bearing in the morning and start slapping this thing back together this weekend.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Well, I finally got the right bearing for this thing I think. It's a 6010 rsr sealed bearing. 50 Id 80 od and 16 thick. The one the parts store could get me is a 6010 du. Measures out the same and it's sealed but we went through 4 other part numbers to come up with this one. 120 bucks for the damn thing even with my parts discount. List is 236 ?

But if it fixes this machine on the low low end it's worth 2k and I don't have much into it. Hopefully I can get it back together and get the rest of the parts for it rounded up and start getting things rollin there again.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Finally got around to messing with this thing some more and got the bearing "pressed" onto the big worm gear shaft in the transmission. By pressed I mean I tapered the seat with a carbide bit and set it on top of the vise upside down and gave it a couple smacks to get it started and then went around the inner ring of the bearing with a socket and 4 lb sledge until the motherfucker went on there nicely.
20230722_181417.jpg

Then I got everything cleaned up, lined up and turning nice and used some gray rtv to seal it like a diff and stuck the top case down on it. It got a lot tighter after doin that but I wonder if maybe it's not supposed to do that. It does by all rights have to be stout enough to keep that table stable under some pretty different forces when working a tire on and off of it. I'm certain when I fill the case with gear oil it'll smooth out and be happy but for now it's just gonna have to work.
20230722_190029.jpg

Also acquired the rest of the parts besides the belt so it should be up and running again pretty soon. Hoping my balancer gets here soon as well but it's not like I haven't had other things to do this far anyway.
20230722_190057.jpg

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Should pay for its self quickly after you get it moving

You don't have a press? Wow, surprised. You seem like the sort who would MIG one up out of some random scrap that was laying around.
Ok so to be honest Ive got almost nothing into this machine but the 120 dollar bearing I beat the shit out of ? my friend that took over the farm tire life around here upgraded and had it tore apart in the corner of his shop probably never to be seen again so I traded him the good used big truck tires I had sitting behind the garage that I have no desire to ever put on again. Well both come out pretty awesome on the deal and when my balancer gets here I'm trading a 3/4 Milwaukee impact I don't use anymore for it. Definitely building somethin out of nothin around here lol.

As far as a press no. I've got a cheap exhaust bender out back that I think is gonna end up getting modified into one at some point though. Make life a lot easier when it comes to stuff like this. Or I may just get a harbor freight one one of these days they don't seem to be real expensive.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021

Going back through this thread after being into this thing that cam mounting block is absolutely broke. Part of me thinks I should just get another new one but the other part of me just wants to zip tie or sheet metal screw it back where it belongs

Reactions: bikrboy128

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Going back through this thread after being into this thing that cam mounting block is absolutely broke. Part of me thinks I should just get another new one but the other part of me just wants to zip tie or sheet metal screw it back where it belongs

Yeah I tried the zip tie fix, didn't last long :rofl:

Reactions: sktchy
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info