3800 So how can I tell if my MAF is bad

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
So fiddling around with the car I decided to drive around with the MAF unplugged to see how it ran. So far heres what I've noticed that has improved
-Shifts more solid
-Shifts faster
-Shifts more "sure" feeling
-Shifts more consistantly (instead of firm on time, soft another)
-Gas mileage in city has increased (I havent tried expressway yet, and I have yet to document this, I just started today to and from school).
-Idles in park much smoother, does not hiccup every 40 seconds or so (same thing about the DIC)
-Idles at lights and doesnt seem like its running pig rich (DIC doesnt drop ~5 miles after waiting at a light for a minute)
-Seems faster / smoother running

Downsides..
-Initial throttle response from a light sucks for the most part
-Stalls if I blip the throttle once while in park / neutral

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
unplugging the MAF shoud not have any effect on fuel economy...any effect is unrelated.

Fuel mix or economy will be judged by the O2 sensor, not the MAF. The O2 will always trim out to 14.7 AFR, so unless unplugging the MAF had a drastic increase on timing during normal driving, there should not be an increase or decrease in fuel economy.

Has the MAF been tuned at all, with an AFC, PowrTuner, or otherwise?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by FastGS88@Sep 13 2006, 08:42 PM
unplugging the MAF shoud not have any effect on fuel economy...any effect is unrelated.

Fuel mix or economy will be judged by the O2 sensor, not the MAF.  The O2 will always trim out to 14.7 AFR, so unless unplugging the MAF had a drastic increase on timing during normal driving, there should not be an increase or decrease in fuel economy.

Has the MAF been tuned at all, with an AFC, PowrTuner, or otherwise?
[snapback]139195[/snapback]​

Negative.. and I just have a standard DHP 1.0. One thing though that just popped in my head is that the MAF screen is removed.. could that really screw the readings that bad? Even for about a couple months after I took it out (had a big dent in it) the car didnt idle rough, it was smooth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info