• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

So, flat tappet cams

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Well, I finally found the source of the knock in the Lemans today. Turns out that #3 isn't even moving the rocker. Cam lobe and likely the lifter are gone. Shit's probably pretty ugly. So to that end, what are the chances in hell that I'd be able to jam a cam in this thing without a rebuild and not spew its guts out. I'm guessing pretty goddamn low? Pontiac 350 (NOT SBC) and a stocker in it now. Also any advice what to get? I was looking at a Howards grind.

1quickbird

Aug 24, 2010
Pontiacs are notorious for that, especially once newer oils start getting introduced to them with lower amounts of zinc.

We build a lot of Pontiacs in house here, believe it or not Elgin Industries has a good line of cam's for the Pontiac engines, as well as lifters and even roller tip stock style rockers. Pretty good upgrade for a stock engine. They have cam's that very closely resemble old school Ram Air type grinds.

As far as throwing a cam in and getting lucky about not hurting the rest of the engine. If it has been running with that metal flowing through it for awhile, I would say it's not likely it will survive much longer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info