So a few days ago I'm doing some filing...

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Don't you love it when people in school are like, 'I'm a bad test taker.' You mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know? I can totally relate see, because I'm a brilliant painter minus my god awful brushstrokes. Oh, how the masterpiece is crystal up here but once paint hits canvas I develop Parkinson's.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I took the test two years after highschool and the only prep I had was the night before. A buddy came over and went through some of the math with me. I was shocked that I did that well.

I should post the screen shot. It's like reading: 29, grammer: 29, reading comprehension: 30, alegebra: 17. D'oh!

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
... and come across my ACT scores. I didn't do great in highschool. I just didn't care. I wouldn't do my homework, wouldn't study for tests... It was all just profoundly boring to me and as soon as I had trouble in one class, I'd call the whole semester a wash and just start sucking. Because of that, I was surprised to get a 25 on the ACT. It would have been higher buy I got a 22 on the math portion because I never caught on to algebra past the 3rd quarter. I actually did worse on the pre-algebra portion than on the geometry/ trig portion because at least you can do that stuff the wrong way and still get the right answer.

Anyhow, I'm all braggadocios about how I got a 25 as if this was some major accomplishment 8 years ago and she proceeds to pull out my highschool transcript from the same folder. Then she points to the class ranking. I was number 43... out of 43 people.

This will make a great addition to my memoirs! :tear: :jollygood:

This is exactly how I was... and got either a 26 or 28 on the ACT. Wasn't at the bottom of the class, but there were some extremely fucking stupid people in that place so that's not an accomplishment. The math brought my score down bad...I think I got like a 17 on the math.

Also, that must've been a small school! Ranking 43 would put you in the top quarter of my class :rofl:.

moviebuff

Basically, I like movies
Nov 26, 2007
Hanover Park/Bloomington Normal
I did really good in school. Mostly A's. But the ACT I only got a 23. I honestly think all those damn tests are a joke. Going to school to become a teacher, I learned how ridiculous all those tests are. There are much better ways to test a person's knowledge other than a long multiple choice test... I found a lot of my friends that didn't try hard at all in school did really good on the ACT as well. weird :/

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I got a 28 IIRC both times I took it. THAT pissed me off. I would have rather done worse the second time around than to just get the same score again. I just never did great on those tests for some reason. I think I made a lot of dumb mistakes rushing too fast. And getting a 28 on the ACT was no indicator of my scholastic achievements because I graduated 20th in my class of ~420.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I did really good in school. Mostly A's. But the ACT I only got a 23. I honestly think all those damn tests are a joke. Going to school to become a teacher, I learned how ridiculous all those tests are. There are much better ways to test a person's knowledge other than a long multiple choice test... I found a lot of my friends that didn't try hard at all in school did really good on the ACT as well. weird :/

how much of getting an A is due to mastery of the material vs. simply doing the work and being able to regurgitate a few things temporarily though? especially in high school? i had friends with average grades who did rather well on the ACTs and knew people with near straight A's who didn't do nearly as well. from conversation alone i could tell it was going to go that way with some people.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
how much of getting an A is due to mastery of the material vs. simply doing the work and being able to regurgitate a few things temporarily though? especially in high school? i had friends with average grades who did rather well on the ACTs and knew people with near straight A's who didn't do nearly as well. from conversation alone i could tell it was going to go that way with some people.

Yeah these days if you try the slightest bit you can get really good grades, I just wasn't willing to put forth even that little bit of effort required.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I knew a girl who got straight A's but pulled an 18 her first time around on the ACTs. She had book smarts but in real life she was as dumb as a brick. God help you if you told a joke around her. After 4 years of college she speaks like she's trying to use big words on purpose. She's a nice girl though. I feel compelled to say that since the rest of my post was basically insulting her. :)

Also, that must've been a small school! Ranking 43 would put you in the top quarter of my class .
I went to a private school. Most of my graduating class were the same people I went to kindergarten with. That was weird.

You cannot even spell algebra right, now wonder why you did so bad...
toushay sur

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Sep 9, 2008
I knew a girl who got straight A's but pulled an 18 her first time around on the ACTs. She had book smarts but in real life she was as dumb as a brick.

I got you beat. The class valedictorian was a straight A student, studied her ass off and only got a 27. A buddy of mine who didn't due much but was smart got a 32. That got under skin.

Oh yeah, did I mention she meant on to pose in Playboy???

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I knew a girl who got straight A's but pulled an 18 her first time around on the ACTs. She had book smarts but in real life she was as dumb as a brick. God help you if you told a joke around her. After 4 years of college she speaks like she's trying to use big words on purpose. She's a nice girl though. I feel compelled to say that since the rest of my post was basically insulting her. :)

buddy's sister rather similar!

I got you beat. The class valedictorian was a straight A student, studied her ass off and only got a 27. A buddy of mine who didn't due much but was smart got a 32. That got under skin.

Oh yeah, did I mention she meant on to pose in Playboy???

i tutored our valedictorian in math. cheerleader but no playboy. crap i need to go back to school, just sitting around a bunch of computer dudes now. :picard:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
I think I had a 26 or a 27.

Sad part was I had like an 18 in grammar, 34 in reading and a 33 in science and maybe a 21 in math (didn't finish the science part). Had a 2.98 in high school and was below the 50 percent mark. School was crazy competitive and most of my friends who were in all of the AP classes etc had 32's to 36's. Yes one guy got a 36 twice in a row just to be sure.

I should have retaken it but I only needed a 16 or an 18 to get into Northern Illinois so I said screw it.

Most standardized tests when you really look at it are reading tests. I dated a girl who was a bit ocd and a workaholic. She would get an A on everything because she put so much time into it. Couldn't read worth a damn so she wouldn't finish standardized tests in time. She was real mad when she found out I was way above her and I generally was a slacker through college/high school. Did graduate with university honors at exactly a 3.21 when I needed a 3.20 to get it.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I got a 29... Was nowhere near the top of my class, but nowhere near the bottom either. I agree with Turk. I don't get how people can be good or bad test takers. Someone far dumber than myself could probably have gotton better grades than I did if they spent all their time studying. Alot of people I knew actually were just like that. Not smart at all, and if any kind of smart, book smart with no ability to function in the outside world. I spent absolutely no time with books or homework and still walked out with a B+ average (3.1 GPA) and I worked 30-40 hours a week during my Junior and Senior year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info