Snowmobiling Season 2020/2021

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Got up to the northwoods on Wed. 4-6 inches on the ground in Rhinelander. (Oneida and Vilas county closed) Thursday trailered sleds to Watersmeet. Rode up to Sidnaw then around just north of there between Mass City, and Barga. Trail two coming out of Watersmeet alot of rocks. But I feel like that is most always the case even if they have a ton of snow. Most of the trails were great. We only saw 2 other groups the entire day and alot of the time were riding fresh powder. Id say 8-12 inches on the ground. It was weird, were people avoiding Michigan because bars were closed? This isnt a heavy traffic area to begin with but I was really surprised more people were not out riding. Friday Vilas County opened at 8AM. We trailered to Eagle River and were on the trails by 9AM, rode up to Bents Camp and back. Short 75 miles. I was surprised on the condition of the trails seeing as they only have probably 6-8 inches on the ground. Some were in awesome shape you would never know it was opening day. Some sections were rocks and grass. No cooling issues and no snirt. We were back on the trailer early around 2PM tho. I am sure they are absolutely horrible after this holiday weekend. Seen ALOT of traffi out. The northwoods need more snow period. Oneida County didn't open up thankfully. But it looked like people were riding some of the trails anyway. I think the Vilas County opening with bare minimum conditions was political. Some of the clubs seem to be upset about it. But with New Years the busiest weekend of the year the businesses really need the money. The opening with lack of snow is going to hurt conditions in the future as well as promote off trail riding as people go around low snow/snirt areas. The good news is the lakes are frozen and I didn't encounter any water anywhere!

Reactions: Yaj Yak

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I need to look over my machine. Plenty of rocks were hit but not hard enough that I had to stop and see if I broke anything. I also stopped multiple times in Eagle River and Conover to throw 6 inch tree branches off the trail as well as 10 inch rocks. Blows my mind how people can ride past and not throw these off the trail. It takes 10 seconds and could really save someones day.

Reactions: Shawn1112

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I need to look over my machine. Plenty of rocks were hit but not hard enough that I had to stop and see if I broke anything. I also stopped multiple times in Eagle River and Conover to throw 6 inch tree branches off the trail as well as 10 inch rocks. Blows my mind how people can ride past and not throw these off the trail. It takes 10 seconds and could really save someones day.

we ended up getting the saw out a few times, snapped branches setup to take someones head off. I think our rock issue was the snow was very powdery so it covered up hazards visual, but god damn you felt 'em.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Yoop and Bents Camp
20201231_130110.jpeg
20201231_133952.jpeg
20201231_141225.jpeg
20201231_154751.jpeg
20210101_110717.jpeg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I need to get out with you guys to understand the need for a 175" Summit to carve up those midwest mountains.
i know this is a meme but no one in our group actually runs 175s :rofl: it's been mentioned many times how fucking retarded they are.

154x2.5" gets it done just fine and is a blast at the same time. was ripping it up on my 144x1.6 as well but the standing/seat positioning on a 50/50 sled sucks for anything other than carving fields.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
i know this is a meme but no one in our group actually runs 175s :rofl: it's been mentioned many times how fucking retarded they are.

154x2.5" gets it done just fine and is a blast at the same time. was ripping it up on my 144x1.6 as well but the standing/seat positioning on a 50/50 sled sucks for anything other than carving fields.

But like, why? What's different?

Looking at a Switchback Assault vs an RMK I'm missing how standing is that much better.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
But like, why? What's different?

Looking at a Switchback Assault vs an RMK I'm missing how standing is that much better.
lower/narrower seat/gas tank among other stuff so you can move from side to side way easier, get it on it's side, etc

going back and forth from a g4 summit to my axys assault, you could tell the assault was a bear comparatively

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Oneida County clubs met last night at the county meeting. They all voted and decided to open the trails on Saturday. Id say about 4-6 inches on the ground currently. Can't say I support the decision but im sure businesses are crying right now. Hopefully anyone who gives a fuck will stay off the trails until we get more snow.

Vilas County - Trails got destroyed over the weekend. Grooming suspended. Need more snow.
Iron County - Most trails in poor condition. Heavy traffic over the weekend. Mercer trucking in snow for the grade. Need more snow.
Oneida County - We have less snow than everyone. Lets open the trails. Piss off land owners. People can ride on grass and dirt right?

FUCK

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Sawyer Co basically telling people to try and stick to the flowage, trails are beaten.

My neighbor has a place in Hayward. He says the trails got destroyed.

I really don't know the reasoning behind the opening. Yeah its about money but you would think the clubs would vote against this. Sponsors pay the clubs money but without landowners you have no trails. I feel like anyone who gives a fuck is still going to cancel their trip. The locals will now be able to legally ride to the bars and their fishing holes. Not like they haven't been doing that for weeks on closed trails.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info