Snowmobile vs. Side By Side

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My buddy drives his RZR and I drive my Scrambler around our neighborhood and not a fuck is given. There's a few cops that live near us and I've never seen them care.

neighborhood is one thing... like on main roads is another level. i want to cruise a rzr to my work or to the bar. :rofl:

Fox River Grove is also legal for golf carts/ATV's/whatever.

All you need is lights, turn signals, etc.

You can go everywhere but on Route 14

johnsburg is anywhere but chapel hill... which complicates the bridge...

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
neighborhood is one thing... like on main roads is another level. i want to cruise a rzr to my work or to the bar. :rofl:

johnsburg is anywhere but chapel hill... which complicates the bridge...

ugP4OkV.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've looked into making mine street legal. The problem is these are titled as "off-road" vehicles from the factory basically cannot re-title them. I've seen some homemade VW bugs rolling around, not sure how they go away with it. Maybe they applied for a homemade vehicle title?

five year bump what what

I WONDER if you bought a michigan sxs that got "converted" to street legal (title states assembled street legal vehicle) if you could register it in IL and have it be all gravy...

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
five year bump what what

I WONDER if you bought a michigan sxs that got "converted" to street legal (title states assembled street legal vehicle) if you could register it in IL and have it be all gravy...

I was thinking about this more after going to SD and seeing the SxS's on the street just like a motorcycle so I started digging through the Streamwood code, and it looks like I would be good if I got an electric one like you had before?

1602773870195.png

5-1-7: OPERATION OF NEIGHBORHOOD ELECTRIC VEHICLES ON STREETS, ROADS AND HIGHWAYS:

A. As used in this section, "neighborhood electric vehicle" means a self-propelled, electronically powered four (4) wheeled motor vehicle which is capable of attaining in one mile a speed of more than twenty (20) miles per hour, but not more than twenty five (25) miles per hour, and which conforms to federal regulations under title 49 CFR part 571.500.

B. Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to drive or operate a neighborhood electric vehicle upon any street, highway, or roadway not under jurisdiction of the village of Streamwood. A neighborhood electric vehicle may be operated only on village streets where the posted speed limit is thirty five (35) miles per hour or less. This subsection does not prohibit a neighborhood electric vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than thirty five (35) miles per hour.

C. A person may not operate a neighborhood electric vehicle upon any street, highway, or roadway in this state unless he or she has a valid Illinois driver's license issued in his or her name by the secretary of state.

D. Except as otherwise provided in subsection E of this section, no person operating a neighborhood electric vehicle shall make a direct crossing upon or across any highway under the jurisdiction of the state, toll road, interstate highway, or controlled access highway in this state.

E. A person may make a direct crossing at an intersection controlled by a traffic light or four-way stop sign upon or across a highway under the jurisdiction of the state if the speed limit on the highway is thirty five (35) miles per hour or less at the place of crossing.

F. No neighborhood electric vehicle may be operated on a roadway unless, at a minimum, it has the following: brakes, a steering apparatus, tires, a rearview mirror, red reflectorized warning devices in the front and rear, a slow moving emblem (as required of other vehicles in section 12-709 of the Illinois vehicle code) on the rear of the neighborhood electric vehicle, a headlight that emits a white light visible from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the front, a tail lamp that emits a red light visible from at least one hundred feet (100') from the rear, brake lights, and turn signals. When operated on a roadway, a neighborhood electric vehicle shall have its headlight and tail lamps lighted as required by section 12-201 of the Illinois vehicle code.

G. A person who drives or is in actual physical control of a neighborhood electric vehicle on a roadway while under the influence is subject to sections 11-500 through 11-502 of the Illinois vehicle code.

H. A person who owns, operates or is in actual physical control of a neighborhood electric vehicle is subject to all provisions of the Illinois vehicle code, 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 et seq. (Ord. 2008-15, 6-5-2008)

I don't use a road to work that is above 35 mph, so based on that I assume I could use one to get to work? :bowrofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I was thinking about this more after going to SD and seeing the SxS's on the street just like a motorcycle so I started digging through the Streamwood code, and it looks like I would be good if I got an electric one like you had before?

View attachment 69522

5-1-7: OPERATION OF NEIGHBORHOOD ELECTRIC VEHICLES ON STREETS, ROADS AND HIGHWAYS:

A. As used in this section, "neighborhood electric vehicle" means a self-propelled, electronically powered four (4) wheeled motor vehicle which is capable of attaining in one mile a speed of more than twenty (20) miles per hour, but not more than twenty five (25) miles per hour, and which conforms to federal regulations under title 49 CFR part 571.500.

B. Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to drive or operate a neighborhood electric vehicle upon any street, highway, or roadway not under jurisdiction of the village of Streamwood. A neighborhood electric vehicle may be operated only on village streets where the posted speed limit is thirty five (35) miles per hour or less. This subsection does not prohibit a neighborhood electric vehicle from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than thirty five (35) miles per hour.

C. A person may not operate a neighborhood electric vehicle upon any street, highway, or roadway in this state unless he or she has a valid Illinois driver's license issued in his or her name by the secretary of state.

D. Except as otherwise provided in subsection E of this section, no person operating a neighborhood electric vehicle shall make a direct crossing upon or across any highway under the jurisdiction of the state, toll road, interstate highway, or controlled access highway in this state.

E. A person may make a direct crossing at an intersection controlled by a traffic light or four-way stop sign upon or across a highway under the jurisdiction of the state if the speed limit on the highway is thirty five (35) miles per hour or less at the place of crossing.

F. No neighborhood electric vehicle may be operated on a roadway unless, at a minimum, it has the following: brakes, a steering apparatus, tires, a rearview mirror, red reflectorized warning devices in the front and rear, a slow moving emblem (as required of other vehicles in section 12-709 of the Illinois vehicle code) on the rear of the neighborhood electric vehicle, a headlight that emits a white light visible from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the front, a tail lamp that emits a red light visible from at least one hundred feet (100') from the rear, brake lights, and turn signals. When operated on a roadway, a neighborhood electric vehicle shall have its headlight and tail lamps lighted as required by section 12-201 of the Illinois vehicle code.

G. A person who drives or is in actual physical control of a neighborhood electric vehicle on a roadway while under the influence is subject to sections 11-500 through 11-502 of the Illinois vehicle code.

H. A person who owns, operates or is in actual physical control of a neighborhood electric vehicle is subject to all provisions of the Illinois vehicle code, 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 et seq. (Ord. 2008-15, 6-5-2008)

I don't use a road to work that is above 35 mph, so based on that I assume I could use one to get to work? :bowrofl:

yeah. you don't want that though. :rofl:

they're also known as LSV's. low speed vehicle.

that's what to look for on the title.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
best thing mchenry had was last summer a guy who snowbirds to arizona registered his rzr to be street legal there and brought it back and was just ripping it around mchenry with no fucks given.

said it's street legal there it needs to be here, just like a motorcycle or assembled vehicle would be :rofl:

I was looking into it and I guess you can do it all in SD with a postal address there and everything. Just have to go to the DMV there once or something....

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010

View attachment 69522

charge it at work too. :bowrofl:

then who cares what MPG your personal vehicle gets, you'd drive it pretty much only to the range :bowrofl:

• Haha
Reactions: FESTER665

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Thats where I read about it.

Theyre also doing it in the ATC Trailer group on FB in SD....
Proof of Tax paid to your state. (must be a receipt from the state, not a dealer’s purchase agreement) If proof of tax paid can’t be provided, you will be subject to 4% tax on the purchase price if recently purchased, or on the NADA clean retail value if you have owned more than 6 months.

giphy.gif

• Haha

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Documents required are as follows:

· Copy of valid title or current out of state registration

· Proof of Tax paid to your state. (must be a receipt from the state, not a dealer’s purchase agreement) If proof of tax paid can’t be provided, you will be subject to 4% tax on the purchase price if recently purchased, or on the NADA clean retail value if you have owned more than 6 months.

· SD application for title & registration: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

· Notarized Interstate title affidavit: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1333V3-AffidavitForInterstateTitle(Nonnegotiable).pdf

· Notarized ATV affidavit: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V2-OffRoadVehicleAffidavit.pdf

· Copy of valid driver’s license for each registered owner

· Social Security number for each registered owner (can be written directly on application)

· Phone number we can contact you at once we have a total. You must pay by debit or credit card over the phone. We will not accept out of state checks. We charge a $25.00 administrative fee for all non-resident title work handled through the mail in addition to the normal tax, title, and license fees.

A couple things to keep in mind:

If there are multiple owners on the title/registration, then all of them must sign the application unless the names are joined with “or”

While South Dakota allows an out of state resident to license ATVs, your state still may not allow them to be driven on their roads. You are choosing to license in SD at your own risk. Please consult your local laws.

There are no refunds!

Jennifer R Clarey, Deputy

Union County Treasurer 's Office

209 E Main St. STE 220

Elk Point, SD 57025

Ph 605-356-2391

Fax 605-356-2257

Email [email protected]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My experience with SD has not gone very well. Since in Missouri we don't pay sales tax not only must you pay the sales tax but you are also responsible for penalties and interest for not titling your ride as soon as you purchase it. Also, although you read that the value used to calculate the sales tax is NADA retail that is not what they used for my 2.5 year old RZR - they used the original purchase price. Both of these surprises amounted to double what I was expecting to pay. I'm going to try MT - have a trip to Moab soon and wanted to drive on the streets. We will see.

FUCK

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Documents required are as follows:

· Copy of valid title or current out of state registration

· Proof of Tax paid to your state. (must be a receipt from the state, not a dealer’s purchase agreement) If proof of tax paid can’t be provided, you will be subject to 4% tax on the purchase price if recently purchased, or on the NADA clean retail value if you have owned more than 6 months.

· SD application for title & registration: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secu...licationForMotorVehicleTitle&Registration.pdf

· Notarized Interstate title affidavit: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1333V3-AffidavitForInterstateTitle(Nonnegotiable).pdf

· Notarized ATV affidavit: https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1792V2-OffRoadVehicleAffidavit.pdf

· Copy of valid driver’s license for each registered owner

· Social Security number for each registered owner (can be written directly on application)

· Phone number we can contact you at once we have a total. You must pay by debit or credit card over the phone. We will not accept out of state checks. We charge a $25.00 administrative fee for all non-resident title work handled through the mail in addition to the normal tax, title, and license fees.

A couple things to keep in mind:

If there are multiple owners on the title/registration, then all of them must sign the application unless the names are joined with “or”

While South Dakota allows an out of state resident to license ATVs, your state still may not allow them to be driven on their roads. You are choosing to license in SD at your own risk. Please consult your local laws.

There are no refunds!

Jennifer R Clarey, Deputy

Union County Treasurer 's Office

209 E Main St. STE 220

Elk Point, SD 57025

Ph 605-356-2391

Fax 605-356-2257

Email [email protected]
My experience with SD has not gone very well. Since in Missouri we don't pay sales tax not only must you pay the sales tax but you are also responsible for penalties and interest for not titling your ride as soon as you purchase it. Also, although you read that the value used to calculate the sales tax is NADA retail that is not what they used for my 2.5 year old RZR - they used the original purchase price. Both of these surprises amounted to double what I was expecting to pay. I'm going to try MT - have a trip to Moab soon and wanted to drive on the streets. We will see.

FUCK

Hello, I am the Union County Treasurer in Union County, South Dakota. I started a profile on this forum so I can help dispel any myths/confusion regarding obtaining license plates for your ATV/UTV in South Dakota. I will not likely monitor this site often, so if you have questions, please call or email my office at (605) 356-2391 or [email protected]

A few things I would like to point out:

1. Obtaining plates in SD does not automatically make you legal to ride it on the roads in other states. We make no guarantees regarding our plates or temporary permits, so please check local laws.

2. If you choose to license here, please remember that you are subjecting yourself to the laws of South Dakota regarding the licensing and titling of these units.
This means you will complete the paperwork we require and you will pay the fees that are required including 4% tax if you can't provide adequate proof of
tax paid to your state. It doesn't matter if you are exempt in your state from tax. We do honor tax paid to another state, but we do not honor any other
state's tax exemptions for any reason. You will have to pay the difference in tax if your state charges a percentage lower than our 4% tax.

3. Please make sure you contact us prior to sending any paperwork to our office. I know there are posts on this forum which contain some old versions of our information sheet, but please contact us for the updated version as forms/info can change occasionally. I am working on posting that document directly to our website, Union County, South Dakota | Quick Links

4. You have 3 options for making your unit legal to ride in SD. You can opt for a 5 to 15 day permit which only requires you to show proof of ownership and complete the off-road vehicle affidavit; you can title the unit here, which will require you to surrender your existing title documents; or, if you are actually coming to SD, you can do an Interstate title, which is a non-negotiable document which allows you to obtain plates(you must sign an Interstate affidavit attesting to the fact that you are coming to SD on a temporary basis).
The Title and Interstate Title process are very similar in the paperwork required other than the Interstate affidavit.

5. Last, but not least, Please be respectful to my staff. Not saying that anyone from this forum has done this, but let it be known that I will not tolerate anyone, resident or non-resident, who want to argue, belittle, or be-rate anyone in my office for doing their job. We have every right to ask for additional documentation and every right to deny your application if we are not satisfied with what is provided. Be honest and courteous and we will treat you the same.

Thank you,

Myron Hertel
Union County Treasurer

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info