• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Snow Blower Issue

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I have been in charge of my moms snowblowers ever since she got divorced. This means im the guy winterizing and summarizing them. Few years ago in the fall I replaced the plug, mixed up some fresh gas and oil and got it ready for her. Saw this Dupont snow blower spray at the store and said can't hurt right? Well ever since I sprayed that shit the blower seems to clog up very easy. Few inches of light snow cogs, heavy wet snow, forget about using it at all. Anyway to make it work like it used to or is it junk? I cannot imagine it just started running like shit on coincidence right after I sprayed this stuff.

prod_4651493226

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I have used PAM as well in the past, same thing, Costco cause you're going to use it liberally. Last season I got bored and coated my chute with some old paste car wax, then topped it off with some finishing spray. Not even fresh dog shit would stick to the chute. Time and effort vs. effectiveness and longevity, go with the spray though.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Dumb question, are both sides of the auger turning?

Sometimes it's continual feed to the impeller, helps keep the snow moving. So if one side of the auger has a sheer pin broken, it may not be shoving more in to the chute to keep the flow going.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I've used Silicone Spray for years and it works great. Put it on the shovels too.
However, that DuPont stuff is Teflon fluoropolymer and silicone which in theory should be better.

If it's a single stage blower, check the augers for wear.
I had the same clogging issue when my augers wore out and it didn't matter how much silicone I used then.
Most augers have wear indicators on them, but yours might be past those already if it's clogging bad.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Dumb question, are both sides of the auger turning?

Sometimes it's continual feed to the impeller, helps keep the snow moving. So if one side of the auger has a sheer pin broken, it may not be shoving more in to the chute to keep the flow going.
^^^^ excellent question

I used the guy across the street older 24” 2-stroke last year and couldn’t comprehend why it was having a much harder time than my other neighbors little 16” 4-stroke. Was really having to fight it.

Once done I got it under some good light and saw that there was an acres worth of grass wrapped around the auger shaft stuffed in the chassis. Couldn’t turn auger by hand. Spent an hour taking it apart and cleaning it. When done the auger spun freely and would throw the snow with ease. Not sure how he managed to get all the grass caught up in there.

Best one was my dad used to have an old 2-stage that we were certain should have had more power. Took apart the carb and saw the intake had an opening the size of a dime where the carb was like a golf ball. Out came the six pack of beer and Dremel tool. Bored and polished that bitch and put in bigger mains. After that it would chew concrete and throw it into next week.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Best one was my dad used to have an old 2-stage that we were certain should have had more power. Took apart the carb and saw the intake had an opening the size of a dime where the carb was like a golf ball. Out came the six pack of beer and Dremel tool. Bored and polished that bitch and put in bigger mains. After that it would chew concrete and throw it into next week.

I did that to an old moped I once had. The thing had a 49cc engine and could barely do 24 mph.
After the bore job, I'm not sure how fast I was going anymore since the speedo only went to 30 mph. Felt like about 35 at least.
It blew the head gasket 500 miles later. :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info