• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Smoke after replacing injectors

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
I replaced all 6 injectors on my wife's 05 Mercury Mariner (3.0 V6). After doing so there was a fair amount of white smoke coming out the tail pipe. Filled my garage. After a little bit it was less and less, and eventually none. The vehicle runs great, no issues at all. All fluid levels are where they should be, everything is connected properly, and they are just a stock replacement injector. Nothing performance, they are Motocraft injectors as well. I'm assuming there was some type of lubricant or preservative (mmmmmm preservative) in the injectors and it's just that burning off, I've just never seen that before. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I didnt know egr coolers existed. Are exhaust gasses that much hotter with a large diesel engine? Or is it because of heat soak?

EGR coolers have been around since about 04. With all the tighter emissions, the diesel world needed an answer and early on it was band aided with HEAVY amounts of EGR. So much that it had to be cooled down before it was shoved back into the intake. We're talking on average EGTs around 900°+^. Later systems incorporated dual EGR coolers to alleviate some stress off of just one cooler. Then we cut back quite a bit on EGR thanks in part to DPF/SCR/DEF. Now we're just changing coolers mostly due to clogging thanks in part to ignorant drivers.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Cause your not working it so all the soot builds up.

Remember the Ole blow her out expression... Well times that by 3 and thats what need to happen with newer trucks.

On big equipment thy fight a thing called wet stacking. It's basically when an engine idles all day, the layer that builds on top the piston is actually wet. Them after hours of idle they open her up and boom there goes the cylinder

Non VGT, non dpf trucks need not to worry much about short trips. It will just have alot of moisture in the oil like any other type of engine that sees short trips and isn't at full op temp for a bit.

:bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info