Skynet/ AI

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
So I used AI to help me write a song the other day. It ended up pretty lame, but only because AI tends to write like a self centered 12 year old.

Started thinking about it. I don’t believe AI would ever trigger WW3. Why would it wipe out everything just to get rid of us?

My thought is that it would be more inclined to control us.

This would be a great story btw, but…

I believe AI could use our own psychology against us and create a perfect religion to either control us all or divide us in a way to control our actions.

Thoughts?

Reactions: sktchy

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Considering humanity thinks we are peak evolution, we're going to continue to rush to develop AI without any precautions. Its going to wipe out thousands of jobs in short order, but we're not going to check and see if the AI is actually smart enough to do the actual job...by then it will be too late. We're going to see insane unemployment rates, companies getting rid of the grunts (which are usually the people that keep the companies running and actually maintain the IT infrastructure)....which means the execs left arent going to have a clue how to actually run this shit.....it will continue to spiral.

My book will be releases next year, available on Amazon.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
The question of whether AI will take over the world is a subject of much debate and speculation. While AI has the potential to significantly impact various aspects of our lives, including the job market and decision-making processes, it is highly unlikely that AI will "take over" the world in the sense of becoming a sentient, autonomous entity with the intent to dominate humanity.

AI systems are designed to perform specific tasks and are limited by their programming and data inputs. They lack consciousness, self-awareness, and the ability to set their own goals independently. AI operates within the boundaries defined by human programmers and is ultimately a tool that requires human oversight.

However, it's important to note that AI can pose certain risks if not properly developed, deployed, or regulated. Issues such as algorithmic biases, privacy concerns, and the potential for misuse or unintended consequences are important to address.

(written by AI)

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
it is highly unlikely that AI will "take over" the world in the sense of becoming a sentient, autonomous entity with the intent to dominate humanity.

(written by AI)
7eb3cc5b9e7eb387889ad96b361c7ed324a10b9445ec75f7d9ea99fb03791805_1.jpg

Reactions: b00sted

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
AI is gonna be a slippery slope, biggest problem being what the creators program into it.
note that they are more like parents trying to give it books to read and suggestions to follow a lot of the time. it's not being "programmed" because that implies a coder wrote a bunch of rules into it. what really happens in this space is they give it something and it learns.

i don't work in the gpt space so i don't have too much knowledge on that one (i think there is a long article on maybe wolfram alfa that goes into it) but other stuff is a little more straightforward for simpler learning tasks. eg. one might be giving it a million past loans and having it predict the likelihood for the next person walking into the bank to pay it off. or based on the last year of nugget sales predicting how many will be sold in the next hour. or in terms of things you see like games, they have 2 AIs or ML algos just play eachother. this is why you'll eventually get into a situation where an AI controlled air drone will win every dogfight with a human, even if the AI started knowing 0 about dogfighting or aerial combat. by the time it's controlling something in the air, it played a billion games in its head. it will come up with moves you never thought of, and it will have a perfect response to every perfect move you make, which of course you're not even going to be able to do other than by luck and yours is going to run out. the only drone that would then beat that drone is one that makes even faster/better decisions and armed with better gear. this is also how they get those faces looking so good, like at

you have one program generate a face, and get a reward when it is told it has tricked someone.
you have another program evaluate a face, and it gets a reward when it is told it has correctly evaluated a fake.

even if the first program starts with ms paint level doodles, after this "game" is played a billion times the face generator becomes amazing at it.

When we go from using a search browser to having an AI assistant to help us buy stuff, book travel, that will be amazing.

Some people who have my college major (Linguistics) are involved in programming the interactions, the language, between AI/Apps and humans.
that's actually going to be quite powerful because language and prompts for creative stuff are just going to become even more powerful. where you're creating art or programs or websites. if you have an app idea you can just ask ai to make it. oh change this color. move this over here. run this test with these inputs. oh that was wrong, the answer should be this, fix that. eg. my mom could talk to a computer and have it make and deploy a whole app.

i have been saying a long time it's not the burger flipper who will be automated away, that job is not that valuable. what about the 400k anesthesiologist? why not just plug some monitoring sensors from a patient into a magic box that continually monitors and perfectly balances these inputs with outputs? at the very least instead of 10 on staff you now only need 2. there's a ton of white collar middle class jobs that can already be replaced today, and even have already been for years. if you sit at a desk and do anything that is largely process oriented and repeated, even if it does use some brain power, you're likely in the sweet spot of both replaceable and worth the money to automate away. they can replace your team of 30 with a program and keep 3 of you as subject matter experts to route the really questionable things to review.

Considering humanity thinks we are peak evolution, we're going to continue to rush to develop AI without any precautions. Its going to wipe out thousands of jobs in short order, but we're not going to check and see if the AI is actually smart enough to do the actual job...by then it will be too late. We're going to see insane unemployment rates, companies getting rid of the grunts (which are usually the people that keep the companies running and actually maintain the IT infrastructure)....which means the execs left arent going to have a clue how to actually run this shit.....it will continue to spiral.

it seems hard to think we may not need to establish some kind of universal basic income in our lifetimes. as time advances for higher white collar salaries you'll need more and more brain power even just to be worth employing. and there's plenty of jobs we won't automate away, skilled things working with hands, and those salaries will go up too but there's only so many of those the economy needs either. we're not all going to be plumbers and masseuses after the machines take over.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Some jobs that can be disrupted and probably should would be:

Graphic Design.

If you are interacting with an AI program that does all the changes for you, during your conversation, think how effecient that would be.

"Darker blue in the logo please.... okay less dark, okay little lighter... good."

----
Travel.

Me: "I want to book a flight to Nashville leaving __ and returning ___."

AI: "Should I preference UA and AA? Non-stop preferred? Okay when do you want to leave?"

Me: "What hotels are within 4 blocks of the conference, and preference Marriott...."

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Travel.

AI: "Should I preference UA and AA? Non-stop preferred? Okay when do you want to leave?"

Me: "What hotels are within 4 blocks of the conference, and preference Marriott...."
You need AI for this? It takes 3 minutes to put that into Google and just book it yourself :rofl:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Some jobs that can be disrupted and probably should would be:

Graphic Design.

If you are interacting with an AI program that does all the changes for you, during your conversation, think how effecient that would be.

"Darker blue in the logo please.... okay less dark, okay little lighter... good."
it's more the creative part here that is useful, the big joke with people's inputs on graphic designs or web designs is they often have no clue/taste/eye/etc and ask for ridiculous stuff when you give them exactly what they want lol. but i've spent like $300? on fiver having logos made for various blogs and yt channels and such, in theory could just use some generative AI for that.

Travel.

this isn't too wild and i think AA may already do this for you if you call them up. i know because when i want to reach a person for what i know is a complex question, i have to first go by the stupid part of the system asking this stuff trying to help me. i think if you do something simple enough it could book it for you.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
At my work conference we had two discussions on this, one was general AI and the other one was some demos of how folks are using ChatGPT.

In some respects having that program write marketing pieces or other content is just speeding up the DIY process of writing... You start writing, you read other content, change yours, etc., rinse, repeat. It is just afterall searching millions of pieces of content in seconds.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Don’t even need AI to get rid of grunts that keep business running. Which is even sadder.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info