INTRO sketchy turbo v6

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
My stock MAF was maxed super early. It hardly took any boost, so I'd definitely get an AFC. I also have a hot wire for my pump. I don't know if the wiring on F-bodies is just as shitty as the rest of the GM cars, but it's easy and cheap enough to make. It certainly won't hurt.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
My stock MAF was maxed super early. It hardly took any boost, so I'd definitely get an AFC. I also have a hot wire for my pump. I don't know if the wiring on F-bodies is just as shitty as the rest of the GM cars, but it's easy and cheap enough to make. It certainly won't hurt.
It's weird because before it would go up and curve as it should but way higher. Mhz went up as it should throughout the pull but the lbs/min never changed so that's what has me lost on it.

I have a hotwire but it's for a gtp 🙄 I figured at my power level it wouldn't be an issue with a pump that size but I could be mistaken

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
It's weird because before it would go up and curve as it should but way higher. Mhz went up as it should throughout the pull but the lbs/min never changed so that's what has me lost on it.

I have a hotwire but it's for a gtp 🙄 I figured at my power level it wouldn't be an issue with a pump that size but I could be mistaken
Yeah, that's how it will work. The MAF itself doesn't have a range. It'll go all the way up to the moon, and it will display on HP as high as you take it. However, the ECM is unable to process anything over 11,500 Hz.
1630024935536.png

As for the hot wire, a GTP should one should be fine.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
That's not what I mean I guess. It jumped straight up to 39.7ish and stayed there even in the lower 9 and 10000 hz ranges. If it would've flatlined at 11500 and past It would make sense to me

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Another thought while I'm waiting on parts for a jeep this morning. I think I very likely could have another bad injector in the set of 60s. I had some issues with them when I first got the car together and ended up getting a couple to replace those (I didn't know not to mismatch them at the time) but I've always also had issues with the car being way too rich on startup until it reached operating temp, hence screwing with the startup timing like I had to to get it to smooth out. And that 315 whp hump I just can't seem to get over seems like a wall that shouldn't be there. And it being insanely rich on the original zzp file and it always seems to be issues on the fuel side. Wish I'd have pulled the rail and got them up to pressure to see if I had a leaky one before tearing the rest of this apart then I'd have an answer but I also remember Tim from zzp telling me to check them when he was remote tuning it from the get go. Of course I didn't listen and the car had so many other issues that it sort of got lost in translation. Given what I know now I think its safe to say that he was probably right, and the original tune was probably fine albeit overly complicated (I'm assuming it was done the way it is through the adders purposely to make it harder for an idiot like me to mess with)

Kind of eating a few words this morning, nothing will humble you like learning from your own ignorance.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I've made a decision to strip this car down and sell it as a roller. Being the cleaner of the two it should bring a little more to fund the other car and the little work it'll be to move things back over to that one will be saved by messing with all the trans wiring. Be nice to get down to one car again and get some things cleaned up around here and between the two I would rather be driving the other one anyway. This ones just a little too loud for me these days.

Rather than start a new thread and litter the place up I'll think of a new title for this one and carry on as I progress further but I'll be taking my time and trying to do the other one right rather than rushing for no reason and making stupid mistakes. Thanks for the help so far guys :bowdown:

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Took a much needed few days away from this thing to take care of some things around here and had a pretty awesome little mini staycation with the kids as the river a few hundred yards from our house is mostly dry except for some small streams so we went down and tried to catch minnows for a while. Was great to get away from everything even when it's right outside the back door.

Bit it gave me some time to think on this thing and decide what direction I want to go from here. I considered the other car pretty hard and realized switching back over is just dumb at this point when I've got a nice clean car. I just need to finish tearing things out and see what all I'm gonna need from the other car as Ill either have to pin the 4l60e into this harness. Or take the entire dbw harness, throttle body, and accelerator pedal from that car. Either way I'm going to need that radiator and the trans cooler lines as well.

I think I really have a shot at taking a piston from the other car. The cylinder wall with the broken ringland still looks pretty good just a slight discoloration I can't catch my fingernail on and it didnt even seek to bend the top ring on the piston although I haven't inspected anything further than turning it over to look at that hole and the head is still on the other side. If I don't let the magic out if the mains on this one I should be able to send it and possibly be ok?

Another thing I noticed rolling this car around a little bit is that the 10 bolt is making some light clicking noises when backing up. A couple times in reverse while turning it had growled at me before but hearing the clicking now has me concerned. So I guess I'll be taking the 3.42 g80 from the other car as well.

Feels like I'm starting from the ground up again and that may be why I haven't started at it again. Wanting to get my shop cleaned up further and work picking back up a little bit again isn't helping the matter but priorities come first and will make it easier in the long run. It'll also give me the opportunity to do it right this time and clean up some things I haven't torn apart yet and learn some more things and actually make a nice car out of it this time instead of "wooo I got a turbo let's race everything til it breaks even if we lose" 😂

Basically if I get everything pulled out I'd like to have it going again by spring. Seems like I could do it alot faster but if this thing has taught me anything it's patience. And pushing it has never gone well.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I would love to but im not givin the junkyard what they want for one. 900 bucks for an l36 longblock. I can buy a whole nother junk firebird for that lol. I'm not hell bent on anything anymore so much as I'd like to get it at least running to play around with again.

More or less just focusing on my home and work life more with school activities, swim meets and busy season for tire work coming up with harvest and don't wanna throw a bunch of money at the car for the time being. But not wanting to give up on my hobby either. Drives me nuts to just sit around when I'm not being productive or spending time with the kids and I'd much rather throw junk together that might blow up than play around on my phone all day lol

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I get that. But if you don't want it running til spring, take a day to go to Lincoln and pull a l67 out of a wrecked car for $200 and you'll have an engine that can handle anything you can throw at it.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
*$400 😂 gas these days. Your not wrong at all im just hoping to catch one off the back of a tow truck before it gets to there and part of me just wants to see if I can trash one together and make it do somethin

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
And I kinda wanna save my pennies to fix up the sweet old tire machine I picked up. Thing will be awesome with a little work put in it and actually make me some money in return lol

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten around to doin a thing with it. Not that I'll complain one bit about having work to do, but I can't feel good bout messing with my car when I've got somebody else's stuff apart in the ol garage. I have made a solid decision to slap the l36 back together tho. Just don't wanna put the money into another motor right now and my luck so far has been alot better with junk I've had layin around or pushed off to the side. Plus if I can get it to hit 400 on a junk parts motor I built myself it'll be so much sweeter so that's probably the main driving factor.

Gasket set showed up tho. And I forgot I had a timing set for it too so i may as well throw that in there while I'm at it. Idk if it's good stuff that I should be using, but for this thing I don't think it's gonna matter anyway lol. Just hoping I can make it run period after having it all apart 😂

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Been a long week after catching whatever it was my daughter caught at school (not the rona thankfully) so I haven't really got anything done but work. But we took a lil drive this morning and picked up an l36 from a lesabre. Motor doesn't look too bad and even still has all those weird sideways motor accessories on it that may come in handy if I ever decide to move things around. Was spose to have ran when pulled and I'm guessing it probably did as the bellhousing on the fwd trans has got some holes where it shouldn't so I'm guessing it wasn't the motor that was the issue. For 100 bucks and a couple hours of driving hopefully it turns out to be a nice score. Thanks for the heads up GTPpower GTPpower!

Now I gotta get to work pulling all this stuff off of it and try and get it shoved in this car but I'm kinda eyeing this aluminum oil pain wondering if that'll fit in the fbody it looks to be a lil better made than the steel one? And a quick glance tells me ive gotta swap like everything including the oil filter housings and stuff but I spose I'll know more as I start stripping it down and get further into it

Snapchat-1600338240.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Ok nevermind no way that pan or filter housings gonna fly without hitting the rack so I'm guessing I'm just gonna be changing out that whole front assembly and even the harmonic balancer pulley is different. Got it powerwashed up halfway decent and startin to strip it down I think it'll go pretty quick once I get this busted up trans off the back of it

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Trans and accessories are off of it, left the manis on it yet and soaked it in degreaser and ill hit it with the power washer again in the morning get it cleaned up good before seeing what I actually got.

Seems to turn over pretty nicely, but with itr4a plugs in it makes me a bit nervous that somebody pulled the hot plug trick to burn through some coolant and the last time I found hot plugs in one it was bad news. Harmonic on this thing is fucked tho you can turn the outer part back and forth a good 90⁰ with just a touch of resistance and it bangs pretty good when it does stop lol, let's hope if they pulled it for makin noise that and that broken bellhousing is all it was

Snapchat-110306132.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
So once again I've changed my mind as my thoughts and goals for this car have evolved and this time im really going to get rid of the drag wheels. Since I still feel like death with whatever I've had the last week or so I crunched a few numbers and ended up ordering a set of 275 40 17 mickey street comps for the rear that will fit my vette knockoff wheels. The outer diameter runs out to a little over 133 in a 1:1 gear with the lower rear end out of the other car and should fit my ultimate goals as far as trap speed should I ever get it to make enough power to get it there. Being a full interior car I'd also prefer to keep it on a hard tire full time and just be able to enjoy it and if I do happen to ever get it to run a time like i want it to it'll be more than enough for anything I'd ever want to do with it anyway.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Finally got to where i could work on her some today. I think I've got most everything unhooked and the harness pulled off so I'm hoping to have the k dropped out tonight. I won't make street car night but that's OK. I'd rather take my time on it and I keep finding more and more stuff I wanna go through and do better when it goes back together. Kind of excited to get it all dropped out and get moving on it again I think a few changes I plan on making are gonna make it even more fun to drive than it already was

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: