INTRO sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
That was kinda my thoughts after looking again as well. I got it back together and the clatter in the top end was the beat pushrods. But it's got alot of blowby, no vacuum, I had to add 10% to the fuel and pedal it to light it, and it builds pressure at the oil cap when I put my hand over it.

Spose there's any good pistons in that block I have with the spun main?

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Your probably right. Ya I can go to the work of a swap but then I'm in for more than I am to do a 3800 up real nicely. By the time you add up accessories and trans and everything else

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Shitcanned the ringland on number 3. Got a buddy with a wrecker business keeping his eyes open for some things before they hit the yards. If one doesn't show up before my shitty ebay gasket set gets here I'm letting the magic out of both blocks slapping a piston and rod in this bitch and sending it. Started a new insta btw @sktchy3.8

Snapchat-335688133.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Donating Member
Reaction score
It would be grand to finally have a 3 bar bin with tables bigger than 11500 Hertz....

Do you have the 99 plus maf modded or are you running an afc?

Are you monitoring your fuel pressure? We wasted a bunch of issues we thought were valve float related chasing what ended up being running into 13 to 1 afr at the top end.... the plus side of that was out of 24 blue coils I found three that did not break up even running That Lean. So keep in mind that 1 in 8 coils will be minty and produce 45+kv

Build it for torque and you'll get horsepower build it for horsepower and you probably won't get torque

Also f*** l36/26 rods and piston crowns

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Stock maf yet I should've had the ls1 maf in it or an afc. 3 bar or somethin aftermarket would be awesome. Should've watched fuel pressure as well. Didn't seem to really break up so much as power just fell off and nosedived. I'd like to find a better bottom but I got what's here to work with for the time being.

Been working pretty hard at getting stuff off of the other car so I can do my trans swap when I get all this fixed up. Also wouldn't hurt to have my injectors flowed but I'm going to put my 80s in when it goes back together. They were supposed to be matched when I got em and the 60s were gettin to where I wouldn't wanna push em any further anyway.

Bottom line is I shouldnt have pushed it the way I did but now that I'll have it all out I can fix the oil leaks and try and make it look good and do things right instead of just tossing it back together. It's not like I really have any goals to break records or try and beat anyone but myself and maybe keep up with GTPpower GTPpower someday. But it's one hell of a fun toy even when it's broke

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I’d be using a L67 timing chain set over the L36 set if you are looking to rev it out further. Also, the ‘98 cam has the most duration and overlap of the stock cams

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I don't think I really plan to go past 6k with it but that's good to know. Good call on the cam too I would've figured them the same but now that I know that I'll definitely be sticking with the one from the 98 car

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Figured I'd give you guys at look at what I do all day. Someday it sucks but it keeps the lights on and beats a real job. Used to do it out of a brand new truck but I'd rather put that towards my toy car and the dyno bein a safe place to play with it

Snapchat-1041871672.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
There is actually but they weren't letting people in for a while. The yard wants a grand for a good l36. My friend hauls things up to Omaha so I'm hoping to catch one or two before they make it there. Sounded like couple hundred bucks and he'd drop a car and I'd pull it myself and give the rest back to him so I'm hoping that works out and maybe I can get both cars going again

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah once we had three known good coils that it would no longer break up power still dropped off on the top end and that's when I hooked up the wideband.... and found out that we had been lean as hell.
Basically the walbro 255 was barely good to 500 horses

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Glad I went with the 450 pump then. 12.0 doesn't seem that lean to me but I supposed at that boost level it doesn't take much. It really dropped hard when it went to 17 psi up until that point it was kinda slowly tapering off

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Glad I went with the 450 pump then. 12.0 doesn't seem that lean to me but I supposed at that boost level it doesn't take much. It really dropped hard when it went to 17 psi up until that point it was kinda slowly tapering off
I had to run a boost a pump, and an adjustable fpr. Could not get good fueling after a certain point (I think 16ish psi). I can’t remember max pressure of the stock fpr, but it was too low at some point. Tuning was really all over the map. Once I raised fuel pressure up top it fixed the problem and tuning was cake. 12.0 is really not all that bad, but you’ll loose less by being too rich than too lean…and it’s safer. 11.5-8 was a good happy medium on an l67

might want to tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windshield and see if your getting a 1:1 ratio of boost to fuel pressure rise. At 17psi you should be getting 75# of fuel pressure, and I think the stock regulator stops at 72

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
How much timing were you running?
8 to 11 max I'd say it averaged 9. When it kr'd it pulled back to 6 and as soon as that happened boost spiked from 17 to 23 and kr went to 9 and buried timing. I really think this was mostly maf related as I'd never seen it flatline the way it did as soon as I hit the pedal and I didn't change fuel enough from the prior run near that drastically. I've also had that maf well over 50lbs/min so I don't understand why it just sat there right under 40. Fuel was commanded at 11.5 as I felt that was a safer zone and prior experience has shown me there isn't that much hp difference to make up for the risk of trying to ride a 12.0

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
When I get it back together I'll have to check fuel pressure but it was in 11.6 to 7 range before it hit the 11500 cell. I'm assuming the loss of resolution up there had something to do with it as well

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I really can fault myself on a number of things. Prior I had a limiter set at 5500 rpm because I wasn't making power past that. I knew my scaling was off and I damn well knew better than to let it go for 20 but I couldn't find the spring I wanted to put in the gate and got pissy and said screw it well see if it takes it. It's 100% my own fault and one of those hindsight is always 20/20 things

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: