INTRO sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I totally spaced off that the 450 could overrun the regulator. I'm guessing if I'd have pulled the vac line like I should've I'd be right around that 52 to 55 mark it should be. I don't really mind the leakdown I guess.

I did get just a touch of it hunting for idle after a good boost but only maybe a couple bounces before it roped it in and certainly not enough for it to be an issue. flash or two to get the fuel lined back out should take care of it I would imagine. May screw around and strap it down and see what I can shove in it. Really considered changing the injectors but with it showing 27ish lbs on the maf at 50% duty cycle at 5psi I think I'll be fine there for a while

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Cable on this one. The other car is a dbw. I'd say either has its pros and cons but there's more differences between the two than one would really think

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Reaction score
Something that's not as obvious about the cable intake is that there's a huge protrusion in the throttle body tunnel that really doesn't need to be there. I removed it on my car and found nothing under it at all. Really woke the car up when I did that and switched over to the L67 throttle body.

I bet you're getting more torque with it as is but if it can flow more you might see some small gains in horsepower. I'm hoping to Dyno my car next week to see how much it might have changed it.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
There's definitely a bit more torque than horsepower. Think my broken header bolt is causing a big enough hotside leak to keep me limited to about 12.5 psi at the moment. But I don't think fuel being in the 10s yet is helping anything either so I wanna get a couple more spins and see where it ends up. At any rate it's progress.

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Reaction score
Curious about how much gain you see on this. With it being a boosted engine I'd think it fairly minimal but may be surprised.
That is the general sentiment I hear a lot around Grand Prix stuff. Thing about the L67 is that it has a set amount of air it's going to flow that's determined by the pulley size on the supercharger so there's actually a pretty good argument for that idea there. You could have a lot of restrictions there and the supercharger is going to find a way to push it in there, but I can't see how there's not a power loss from it having to cram air around all of the bends. It's gotta be creating some extra heat resulting in some loss of power.

General consensus when it comes to forced induction is that the more power you can get your engine to make naturally aspirated the more power it's going to make under boost. You can even predict how much power a turbocharged engine will make based on its boost pressure and how much power it made naturally aspirated assuming it's running well. supercharged engines get a bit more difficult to predict because they have a parasitic loss but the principal is still the same.
So if a mod can make more power under an N/A motor, it's going to make even more in a forced induction motor. In theory if this mod is worth 5 hp naturally aspirated, it could be worth 10hp under 15psi of boost.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
In theory yes, but I'm pretty sure I saw zeph say one time chasing volumetric efficiency is wasted effort when you can add to it with more boost.

I would say both are probably correct but I still wanna see if there's any difference there

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Also boost pressure being relative comes into play at some point and that's why we tune off things like mass airflow and airmass rather than pressure ratio. I guess that's part of why I haven't looked down the cam road and have looked at things like heavier springs instead. Ya you can get to 800 hp at 7k. Or you can leave it alone and push enough into it to see the same torquewise at half that.

Im not sure what the way to go is, but I'm startin to think this thing may shine in an 1/8 alot more than it does in the 1/4

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
22.878 at the manifold on a stock motor will make it sound like there's a woodpecker under the hood when you start it up again.

Stock cam falls on its face at 5200. Anything past that is wasted effort.

I learned some more things today.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Good to know. It came back to idle fine but when I went to restart it 3 and 4 are dead and it sounds pissed. Oil pressures still good and no howl so I'm hoping for a couple collapsed lifters since I had to have floated the shit out of them. If not I guess I'm pulling two motors to borrow some pistons and heads from the old car.

Either way it's gettin fun at this point and I needed to upgrade the top end anyway

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Also it was only 3⁰ of kr that did it in. You don't fuck around past 12 pounds I'd say. Timing rolled back to 3⁰ and fuel never went above 12.0 and I had it set at 11.5. I need to look over the scan some more and tear it apart and maybe I'll have it back together in time to give you a run on street car night

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Pull your plugs and see what they look like.
I'll probably pull 3 and look at it for sure. I'd almost rather pull the intake and start wiggling pushrods than try and get at number 4 to see if it's smashed. these pipes make it almost impossible to get to the plugs on the passenger side.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
3 was hammered and 4 was fine. Stuck a plug out of the other car in it and it runs as usual with a bunch of valvetrain clatter on the passenger side. kinda looks like I could step down a heat range as well but we'll see how things go with this valve cover first. Pretty optimistic she'll live for a while tho

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
The one on the left is this car. The one on the right is oem from the other motor that had 270k and ran 1.9s for a short while. And all 6 were that way but just on the tops. Now I don't really think that this is gonna save me. But at this point I might as well throw the rockers in with the zzp pushrods on the stock springs and see what happens.

Snapchat-1279807575.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
In theory yes, but I'm pretty sure I saw zeph say one time chasing volumetric efficiency is wasted effort when you can add to it with more boost.

I would say both are probably correct but I still wanna see if there's any difference there
Zeph has given me that bit before as well. I get it to an extent. He's not wrong, but you're going to work your ass off on the laptop to get as much gains with shit flow. If you want to push the envelope, you are going to want to spend a few bucks on VE stuff. Sure, you can rocket a stock long block in the 1/4 with 40 psi and a gallon of meth if you want, but that sounds like a tuning and frequent engine changing nightmare. Exhaust back pressure will become an actual problem at some point and all those turbulent areas that cause little to no issues at 200hp only become bigger problems as more air gets forced in. Cams and heads cost a lot of money, but they're far from worthless. It just depends on how far you want to go.

If you just want to blow the shit up and eventually swap to an LS, I wouldn't waste the money. If you're as coco for coocoo puffs as I am, then you should get a sweet cam and smooth those ports.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
So #3 plug was smashed?
Yes 3 was smashed but 4 was ok yet and when I put a new plug in three it started and ran just fine but there was still clatter on the passenger side but not as bad sounded more like when I put the 1.9s in the other car and everything was all loose and rattle and that's when I popped the cover on that side to find the ends of the pushrods worn down like that. Unless there's still a chunk of ringland bouncing around in there idk. I guess in a way I'm hoping opening the valves a little more will get it out of there if it is there but really it's more that I know three is already hurt and I might as well give it a decent send off and I wanna see how long I can keep it alive at this point.

As far as zephs statements regarding boost and ve I'm not by any means taking it as law and I know more flow will also drop kr and make it easier to make power. I just don't have a cam to slap in it so I'm working with what I've got to see how far I can push it in an effort to make myself a better tuner and to keep learning things. This things already hurt anyway i may as well see how long I can make it go from here.

I think I'd have walked away from it a long time ago if I was ever gonna give up and even tho it's tempting I'll probably still stay away from the ls just because its so common and not really even much of a swap for this car. I also play with them pretty regularly and for whatever reason I haven't spent the credits to open my truck up even tho it's in desperate need. Sure it's easy power. But everybody does it and if I do decide to get away from the 3800 I'm leaning more towards somethin i5-ish. Well see what the future holds I guess lol

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Also looking at scans again last night. 13 was where it must've saw float and it stopped making power, 17 it fell off really hard, and 23psi is where it peaked boost. My gauge showed 15 but I trust the box reading manifold pressure alot more than I do a 40 dollar glowshift.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
3⁰ of kr and when I let out it shot to 8 plus. Fuel was right at 12.0 which was a little on the lean side as I was trying to shoot for 11.5 but it was fairly consistent and injectors were right around the 80% mark. This all happened in the 11500 cell from 5500 to 6000 rpm and the maf was at 12098 mhz. Kr also occurred around 6k where boost peaked and power fell off hard at 5200 so it think it took quite a bit of abuse before it finally got mad about it. I really was shooting for 16 and the gauge was right on the money, but having the rollers shows a little bit more to what really went on.

I also wonder if my maf didn't die. On pedal it shot to just under 40 lbs/min and just flatlined. It read hz, but lbs/min didn't move as one would expect it to have a curve to it and it always has before.

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: