INTRO sketchy turbo v6

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
They're fairly new but i don't think they're the good ones. I guess I would think I'd have issues on opposing cylinders if it was in the coils? Say 2 and 5, 1 and 4, 3 and 6 but I could be wrong. I do have some spares around if that's the case tho. I should probably also get the ground back on my icm bracket that isn't helping things either

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I haven't made any more progress on this thing but the tranny mount is finally here. Got busy with an injector, intake, and throttle body replacement along with a tuneup that I've got in the shop. It's kinda making me miss my ecotec v8 and giving me really bad ideas knowing where I might be able to find one of these across town.

Snapchat-2002170756.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Ran in to get the kids donuts, loaded up a new file with the injectors back where they were and put some 91 in it this morning. Seems like it really helped a ton on the kr side of things. I pigged it out up top to be on the safe side and only made a couple quick 2nd gear pulls but things are looking alot better now. I think it was around 12 or 13 psi and had just a few little spots of kr. Might just leave the spring set where it's at and do a little more playing with it as I get time.

Messing around with some of this v8 stuff lately has me really rethinking the idle timing and airflow side of things tho. And while this seems to idle and return really smooth I'm starting to see that it could still use a little fine tuning on the idle timing and I think the throttle blade needs set correctly, possibly opened just a touch, and may be whats causing my afrs to change after a boost since I havent got that sorted yet. I'll have to mess around with it some and see if it makes any difference.

This stuff really is alot more complex than what I thought and I've spent so much time focusing on not blowing it up that I never really thought much about the little things that actually make it drivable and probably should've been tended to well before trying to shove more air in it

Snapchat-1752795996.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Likely an octane issue at hand. Had it out tonight to do a lil beating on it and it hangs on to 15 lbs pretty alright on 91 it just wants timing back to 8 or 10⁰. Still haven't done the tranny mount so I didn't get too crazy but I did bang it off the limiter a couple times for the hell of it.

Finally on the right track with it now tho and a couple other things goin more right than expected is one hell of a confidence boost and I'm alot more optimistic about what I'm doin here. Pretty sure there's a test and tune this weekend and I may go over to watch but I don't think I'm gonna be able to push responsibilities out of the way to find the time to get this to where I wanna make a solid hit and tear more stuff up for now. And I'm kinda enjoying driving it around without it actin like a hot mess for a minute.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I really think I coulda got a few more miles on this tranny mount. I mean it's got at least 5 or 600 on it being this way.

For real tho I've got a pretty good feeling it broke because the metal tab that holds the tab on the squishy part down to keep it in one piece was way off in left field, not holding the squishy part down. Waiting for some rubber to come in today so we'll see what I can get done on her.

Snapchat-997198010.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
The import guys would supposedly roll their own poly mounts with window weld back in the day. Google around for it, may help you out.
Noted. Thank you.

Qa1 nonadjustable torque arm and energy suspension bushing, umi Trac and panhard bars, and Koni rear shocks comin in hot.

Snapchat-730011240.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Probably a good call to leave things where there at in terms of power. Once I started hitting 15 psi on E85 I shredded my old T5
Im gonna try and spring it for 12ish. 15 felt like I was pushing just about everything to it's breaking point and 10 just feels slow anymore.

I think finally getting this stuff on should help it out alot, but I'm not gonna try launching it near as aggressively as I did before either. Next fail points are the trans and the 10 bolt and I'm hoping to keep it together for a little while this time lol

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Got everything but shocks done between work stuff today.

It's almost gross how cheap gm was with the original parts, no wonder it hopped so bad, not to mention how crusty everything was even if it wasn't somehow tweaked it had to be sticking together. Now bouncing the rear end it raises and drops nice and smooth instead of binding and I'm guessing this is gonna be a whole different car to drive once I get the shocks done.

Snapchat-2136003577.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
It's different when I can focus on it for sure, and I really wanna build somethin that'll stand up to being fun. What a difference it made even without doing the shocks yet tho. Got it back in the shop tonight spending part of my Friday in the dark with a weed sprayer full of water hosing down the ignition system. Might not be the best way of hunting down misfires but as soon as it pisses it off your damn sure gonna see a tiny blue spark.

Your also crazy correct on wire quality. The oem wires I had on here lasted quite some time while the two Napa wires I put on are both smoked after a 10 mile round trip.

Also I backed boost off to 5 psi momentarily and before those two wires smoked it felt like it was actually supposed to have it. Sadly it didn't take long to break those down and take the fun out of it.

And I also believe the cartuning headers are indeed designed for the stock 90 degree end wires. Straights are only superior on the back two cylinders but far from a necessity. I wish I could find the stupid little metal caps the stock wires used to have they mightve helped my cause a little

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Proud moment for this car today.

I've kinda been using it as a shop truck today while I sort out the rest of the misfires in between working on stuff in the shop and doin the dad thing. Finally get it running clean and as I'm leaving the parts store I run into the guy I bought the car from. We've kinda become friends as this build has progressed I could tell when I bought it he had a soft spot for it and always wanted to fix it up himself since he's a car guy too. Took him for a ride in it and I'll be damned if this thing wasn't on its best behavior yet. Not a spit, sputter, lope, nothin, just smooth, fun, couple gear pulls at 5 lbs and the smile on his face was awesome. Mine had to be just as big.

The rear suspension really makes a world of difference too. Tires stay down, the car doesn't twist like it used to. It just sits up and goes. I'm not sure I'll make it out to get a time on it tonight but i may try and get out and get a run or two in tomorrow since test and tune will still be open. Kinda enjoying it for as much fun as it is to drive right now without it throwing a fit about somethin.

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Washed her up and spent a little time at the track this morning trying to get in on test and tune. If they called it i missed it and ended up leaving but there were alot of cars there today too. I learned alot from watching tho. Watched a c7 do a 13.7 and in reality I feel like that's super attainable. Also watched alot of badass all motor cars run low tens and the rail cars are just their own thing trying to hit 200mph traps.

But I don't really think being competitive is ever gonna be a thing for me. Listening to everyone talk about breaking out and breaking shit or someone gettin mad about a time. Sure it's fun and all I'm all for a day like today where I don't have to give a fuck. But runnin for points and doin the real race car thing sounds like a huge pain in the ass and more of a chore than it is fun. I'll stick to fixin shit in my garage and having fun with my little toy shitbox and swim team practices. Just what it is alone sells work by taking it places in town and let's be real, nobody at the race track is gonna pay me to cam their truck or put a wheel bearing on their wife's tahoe when they can do it themselves. I'll leave that ish to having a good time with friends once in a while.

20210815_144958.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
I'm telling myself this is the last time I'm messing with this intercooler piping but I know I'll be wrong. Got a couple of tight 90s out of it and shortened it up a little tho. Not sure what kinda impact itll have if any but it surely couldn't have hurt anything to clean it up some

20210817_091726.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
The fbody groups have been goin ham on the trap door thing the last couple days. Found it amusing.

That being said I think I'm gonna drop the tank on this one and do it right when I get the rest of this tank ran down. Not that there hasn't been a plethora of hatches torn open in some ugly ways to know where I'd need to cut it at. But because isnt it just as easy to drop the couple bolts out of the straps as it is to cut it up and cover it back up again?

FB_IMG_1629248734440.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Changed my mind. Got the quantum 450 pump put in this morning, wish I'd have accounted for the lines on my first cut but I got it sealed up nice with a couple old license plates some sound mat and some gorilla waterproof sealing tape. Car didn't blow up and it seems to idle and partial throttle fine on the stock regulator so I'm hoping I don't ever have to look at it again

Screenshot_20210819-144319_Gallery.jpg

Snapchat-299582368.jpg

Snapchat-1437246091.jpg

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge to check it?
I do. Sits about 48 at idle which is pretty consistent with the stock pump. Jumps a Lil when you goose it so I'm assuming regulator is functioning correctly. I know it's a little on the low side but it always kinda has been and I should probably change the filter again as well.

Leakdown test however isnt pretty. Straight drop when it's key off. Im thinking it could be from the return line just dumping into the tank instead of back to the pump like the stock one? At any rate I'm gonna go fill it with corn and see how it acts now. Then probably bump back up to the 80s

OP
sktchy3.8

sktchy3.8

fng
Reaction score
Runs as good if not better than before doesn't seem to have any fuel issues whatsoever and hasn't pulled its bullshit with corn this time. Might actually be gettin a lil better at this

• :)
  • :angrys00ls:
  • ;)
  • :bowdown:
  • :(
  • :mad:
  • :confused:
  • :cool:
  • :p
  • :D
  • :eek:
  • :oops: