Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Overview

Demo

See it in action on TCG

This add-on allows you to take your first post and add chapters to it. When someone clicks on a chapter, the thread refreshes and the first post changes to show new content. This will be hugely beneficial for member build threads - you can use the chapters to link directly to updates within your thread. Now members wont have to dig through 20+ pages to get all the details on your build. So how does it work? Let me show you.

Step 1: This will apply to both new threads and existing but I will be using an existing thread as an example.

The first chapter will also double as the first post in the thread. It will always show up when someone first visits the thread. Setting up chapters is easy. The first piece of text in your post should be this:
1593535539805.png
(obviously make the title whatever you want). Once that is typed out, hit enter and then type out your text, add images or link to somewhere else within the thread. That completes your first chapter.

1593535613379.png

Step 2: Adding more chapters

This is the easy part. Once you've finished doing whatever you want with the first chapter, the second and subsequent chapters simply repeats the original process. See below:

1593535685742.png

So essentially, you can keep repeating the same process over and over until you're done. For those that already have threads that exist, you can do something simple like:

1593535539805.png

(link to update within your thread)

1593535539805.png

(link to update within your thread)

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm currently going through greasy greasy's thread, as I have some time to do so. His will be a good example of linking throughout the main thread.

okay so im playing with this now, trying to add chapters to one of my thread, and im looking at greasy greasy's thread as an example.
when i click like Eibach Spring Install from the first post, it doesn't take me there, it just refreshes the very first page of the thread...? or am i doing something wrong

yeah... none of them are working for me, all the "chapter titles" in the first post just refresh the very first page for me.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
okay so im playing with this now, trying to add chapters to one of my thread, and im looking at greasy greasy's thread as an example.
when i click like Eibach Spring Install from the first post, it doesn't take me there, it just refreshes the very first page of the thread...? or am i doing something wrong

yeah... none of them are working for me, all the "chapter titles" in the first post just refresh the very first page for me.
Chapters don't jump around in the thread. They aren't anchors. They're really meant to show content within that first post. But since alot of you already have extensive threads, the work around is to have a link to the update post within the thread.

So someone clicks chapter 3, you can give them a link to a post further along for them to read. Then they can go back to the first post, and check out the next chapter.

Ideally, this will work best for someone starting a fresh thread, where they'll then only update that first post.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I wouldn't want it to do that anyway. You'd just be jumping all over the place and having to click back a bunch. Granted, you're having to do that now with established threads, but for new ones, it will work as intended.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Both the demo and my thread operate the correct way.

yeah i see now, when i did the demo, i thought it took me to that post directly, not highlighted info in the first page, which when you're just clicking through clickly, you wouldn't know.

they do operate "as they are supposed to" i just thought they'd hop to a specific post, which i think would be more beneficial because then you could see what replies were already made to that specific post.

now if i click like the "painted my emblem" chapter marker and someone asked already "what paint did you use", im not going to see that post

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
yeah i see now, when i did the demo, i thought it took me to that post directly, not highlighted info in the first page, which when you're just clicking through clickly, you wouldn't know.

they do operate "as they are supposed to" i just thought they'd hop to a specific post, which i think would be more beneficial because then you could see what replies were already made to that specific post.

now if i click like the "painted my emblem" chapter marker and someone asked already "what paint did you use", im not going to see that post
Not really. If someone is interested in that specific post, they'll keep reading. This will keep people far more engaged, imo, in a post. Because they're actually interacting. Guests will now be able to get ALL the updates in a thread without having to go through pages of normal banter. That is big. Keeping guests on the site is incredibly important. I'm sure our bounce rate from social media is astronomical.

For regular members, it's easy enough to either quote the post or hit the new @ member button and ask a question... Even if it's already been asked.

The name of the game is engagement, at any cost.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not really. If someone is interested in that specific post, they'll keep reading. This will keep people far more engaged, imo, in a post. Because they're actually interacting. Guests will now be able to get ALL the updates in a thread without having to go through pages of normal banter. That is big. Keeping guests on the site is incredibly important. I'm sure our bounce rate from social media is astronomical.

For regular members, it's easy enough to either quote the post or hit the new @ member button and ask a question... Even if it's already been asked.

The name of the game is engagement, at any cost.

i mean, i dont know that they will? some of these 30-40 page member build threads are you really going to scroll through pages upon posts to find that info? we all know tcg doesn't read, i doubt social media people do any better.

ill be interested to see if it improves bounce rate or not.

yeah it's easy enough for regular members to post up but then the OP can't be a dick and be like POST 1,278 I ALREADY POSTED THAT INFORMATION GAHD

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
i mean, i dont know that they will? some of these 30-40 page member build threads are you really going to scroll through pages upon posts to find that info? we all know tcg doesn't read, i doubt social media people do any better.

ill be interested to see if it improves bounce rate or not.

yeah it's easy enough for regular members to post up but then the OP can't be a dick and be like POST 1,278 I ALREADY POSTED THAT INFORMATION GAHD

I think members are so starved for attention in their build threads, that they'll welcome any question, regardless if its already been asked. I know thats how I feel.

And quite honestly, I dont even care if a guest reads the entire thread, I just want them to get the info they came for...and not having to read through 20 pages of memes or inside jokes is a better alternative to rapidly scrolling page by page and eventually saying "fuck this".

Status
Not open for further replies.