[Site Decision] Do we get rid of the Ford and GM sections?

Merge GM and Ford section to Auto Discussions?

• Yes

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Essentially what the title says. Its been discussed before here and there but before I do anything, I want to get everyone's opinion.

TCG is a no make, no model, specific site. Having a GM and Ford section paints a slightly (maybe insignificant, dunno) picture. The two sections would be moved into Auto Discussions (or Technical).

Now, before anyone says anything, the 3800 section would remain. Its still a sizable traffic source and keeping it alive is good for business. It would get moved up into the garage section and the Make / Model Specific heading would be removed.

So I'll leave it to a vote. If you guys are ok with it, itll be done, if not...no harm no foul.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I like the separation for the purposes of tech specific questions, but that can be reduced just through the search function. Maybe reduce them to Ford Tech & GM Tech and all general stuff can be combined.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We wouldnt really be getting rid of anything if we still kept a GM and Ford Tech sections. Unless I make a sub forum for Ford and GM tech and put them under the Tech section..but then Im still just doing the same thing we have now.

Hell, even the tech section itself gets very little use :rofl:

I like the idea of a Ford or GM icon designation when making threads tho.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
How much traffic does each section get? How many posts per...month?

Maybe the option when making new threads to give them a GM or Ford designation, so people could tell at a glance?

5 threads with active posts created for all of 2015 in GM and 14 threads with posts active in Ford since the 1st of the year.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Could they be subsections in tech or something to reduce clutter on the main page?

Really, I think to reduce the clutter and still get specific activity, create an icon it something and remove the individual forums. That way people can recognize the threads for brands.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I've tried an import forum...quite a few times. Never gets any traction.

And I'd just be adding to the issue I have...first impression when someone joins is that we're a domestic site only. Tossing in an import section w/ no activity just further supports that (we of course, are everyone is welcome).

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I like the separation for the purposes of tech specific questions, but that can be reduced just through the search function. Maybe reduce them to Ford Tech & GM Tech and all general stuff can be combined.

I think that there needs to be something that easily denotes what vehicle make the thread relates to since it is about technical discussion. Whether this is accomplished through them retaining their own subforums, or just having a prefix at the beginning of the thread names, I think either would work. The point being that it prevents from people having to click into each thread to determine if it is a Ford or GM tech question the person has. Sure, it's only seconds wasted, but if you are trying to retain ease of use for the site then it would be a step in the wrong direction to essentially let all of the threads completely blend together in a homogeneous manner.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Add brackets to thread title to disclose what it is before posting

[GM]
[3800]
[LSX]
[FORD]
[MUSTANG]

Etc...

One section but easily defines what to expect the thread to be about.
This is what I was thinking, but if we get this specific, we might as well delete all the subforums and only use the title designations.

A GM or Ford icon in next to each thread would narrow it down enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info