Sirius/XM How to get a better deal?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Hold off and they will send you offers via email and standard mail.
Usually within a month of it being shut off.
Offer should be like $30 for 6 months. I have been doing that for a few years.
Pay by check, otherwise if you give a debt card or credit card they will charge you full amount after 6 months.

I have done the same thing. Just renewed mine for 6 months for 30 bucks.

Yeah Sirius actually called me and practically begged me to take the $30 for 6 months. I gave them a CC though, so Ill have to call and make that cancel call to get the deal again. If they dont offer, Ill be ok. Ill just DL and use my phone like always.

I did notice that with the $30 deal I dont get the Stern radio channel anymore though. Which isnt a big deal.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I never tried negotiating in all the years. Right now I'm on the trial period with the newer car. When it's over, I can just say that I don't want to pay because of the price. I normally just stream from my phone anyway.

When I got my new car, I immediately cancelled the old car radio and avoided doing the "transfer service to new car" route. I ran the 3 month free trial that came with new car to expiration, then cancelled that and added the new radio ID on my old account and they treated me like an unhappy old customer that didn't want to come back. They showered me with teh deals.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
So back this story up a bit, after I didn't get any promotion in February I was quickly offered an additional 3 free months of full featured XM. Yeah sounds like I'm a newb all right.... lol

That just expired and this time around they offered me the year long plan (referenced above) which I gladly accepted because that is one less call I have to make.

Truck is up next week so we'll see if they offer the same package...

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Had to call on this today, since my six month agreement expires tomorrow.

Last invoice was $88 for six months which was for two vehicles. Frankly, the only time I really use the satellite radio is when I'm traveling, so it really is kind of a waste. Called today and got them down to $72 for 6 mos for both vehicles ($36/each). Cheaper than my last negotiation, so can't complain.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I haven't really looked back since leaving satellite radio. Streaming options had much better functionality. In my driving experience, it's rare for me to go through dead zones where I lose signal. I hope more and more car manufacturers keep offering AndroidAuto/CarPlay type options. The satellite radio technology just seems so dated these days.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
We pay $30 or 40/month for Apple's iCloud service which includes Apple Music, Apple TV+, Arcade and a few other services.

I have paid for Sirius in the past, but that was before the Apple Music service.

CarPlay + Apple Music = I can listen to just about any song from any artist that I want, in lossless audio quality.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
If I had Apple CarPlay in my vehicles I would just drop the service altogether. But the truck has AM/FM/XM and a 3.5mm stereo input, which I use a cheap bluetooth adapter on. It's too much of a pain to play around with the phone while driving to change channels, or switch to a different app, podcast, etc.

The car (2012) let's me connect via USB and the phone shows up as an iPod. It gives me some decent management via the infotainment to make it less cumbersome, but still not great. Also, the phone charges horrifically slow even though the USB port is rated a 1Ah. If I'm running a nav app (Waze, Google Maps, etc) while it's plugged in, it'll charge 1% every 30 minutes or so.

I can connect the phone to the car via bluetooth, which I do for shorter drives. But the difference in bluetooth versions between the car and phone causes issues. If I'm listening to music and try to skip a song, it'll work for the first five or six songs, then it stops responding. Have to reset the bluetooth connection. With each iOS update it gets worse. So long trips I leave it plugged in and no control issues. Plus, via USB the phone will interrupt whatever the source is to announce alerts and turns. If via bluetooth it interrupts as a phone call and the audio isn't good.

If the truck wasn't rusting and rotting away before my eyes I'd consider upgrading the stock nav head unit for an aftermarket to give me CarPlay, but right now it's not worth the investment.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
If I had Apple CarPlay in my vehicles I would just drop the service altogether. But the truck has AM/FM/XM and a 3.5mm stereo input, which I use a cheap bluetooth adapter on. It's too much of a pain to play around with the phone while driving to change channels, or switch to a different app, podcast, etc.

The car (2012) let's me connect via USB and the phone shows up as an iPod. It gives me some decent management via the infotainment to make it less cumbersome, but still not great. Also, the phone charges horrifically slow even though the USB port is rated a 1Ah. If I'm running a nav app (Waze, Google Maps, etc) while it's plugged in, it'll charge 1% every 30 minutes or so.

I can connect the phone to the car via bluetooth, which I do for shorter drives. But the difference in bluetooth versions between the car and phone causes issues. If I'm listening to music and try to skip a song, it'll work for the first five or six songs, then it stops responding. Have to reset the bluetooth connection. With each iOS update it gets worse. So long trips I leave it plugged in and no control issues. Plus, via USB the phone will interrupt whatever the source is to announce alerts and turns. If via bluetooth it interrupts as a phone call and the audio isn't good.

If the truck wasn't rusting and rotting away before my eyes I'd consider upgrading the stock nav head unit for an aftermarket to give me CarPlay, but right now it's not worth the investment.

Get an aftermarket radio with CarPlay.

My old Jetta GLI had wired CarPlay, it was glitchy and would only connect about 85% of the time.

GTI has wireless CarPlay and it works 98% of the time, it's fantastic.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
i can't believe they're still operating under the "call me a couple times a year to avoid being shafted" business model, especially as they're being rendered obsolete by android and apple carplay

I told them the one time I called (to cancel) that i'll never sign up with them again because they don't offer a way to cancel online. I don't miss it one bit, apple carplay ftw

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
i can't believe they're still operating under the "call me a couple times a year to avoid being shafted" business model, especially as they're being rendered obsolete by android and apple carplay

I told them the one time I called (to cancel) that i'll never sign up with them again because they don't offer a way to cancel online. I don't miss it one bit, apple carplay ftw

I still get letters in the mail from them about once every 8 weeks or so. They've probably spent more on printing and postage than they ever earned from me.

Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish

Get an aftermarket radio with CarPlay.

My old Jetta GLI had wired CarPlay, it was glitchy and would only connect about 85% of the time.

GTI has wireless CarPlay and it works 98% of the time, it's fantastic.

Wired carplay glitchy? Man either VWs suck, or you have terrible luck with cars. :rofl:

Canned Sirius a couple years ago after I basically told my wife no more. You really arent missing out if you do cancel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info