🔧 BUILD Single Turbo 300ZX Build

General Information

This will likely be the last z32 car I pickup. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a few different varieties of z32 cars. Stock Twin setup, mild upgraded twin setup, v8 swap and now, in my opinion, the best(i hope) of them all, equal length single turbo setup.

The equal length tubular manifold plays a large role in the sound of the engine. One example I can cite is the RPS turbo manifold for the mkiv supra. It sounds delicious in large part due to its equal length headers.

I also single turbo'd my 3000GT and had similar results. It was the best sounding car I owned ever, till it burned down last year. :(

Here is a sound clip of it in all its glory. I got more vids but whats the point of uploading them now.

Not to get too far off topic, let me introduce you to my newest project. Its a 1990 300ZX which was originally TT that's got a custom made single turbo kit on it. Here is the whole list of goodies.

Engine-
87.5 mm wiseco pistons
Eagle esp high-beam rods
Clevite main and rod bearings
Super tech valvetrain
3 angle valves
Jwt r500 race cams
Under drive crank pulley
Solid aluminum mounts
New harness

Cooling-
Custom aluminum radiator
Custom modified piping and inlet
Electric fan()

Turbo kit-
Precision 6265 billet wheel turbo
Custom forward facing SS manifolds and up pipe
Custom downpipe and straight pipe single exhaust with borla muffler. All v-band.
Tial 44mm external gate v-band
Tial Q model Bov
Custom Garrett fmic core size 24"x12"x4.5"
Custom Single TB intake manifold
75mm strip TB with mustang 5.0 TPS sensor

Fuel-
FIC Hi Z Injectors. Unsure of size, probably 880cc.
Custom top mounted top feed rails
Fuel lab mini fuel pressure regulator
Dual Bosch 044 pumps, one in tank feeding external(kicks on under boost)
Stainless lines from tank and AN fittings throughout
AEM fuel filter
Painless fuel pump rewire kit

Ignition-
AEM Twinfire 4 channel ignition amplifier
NGK-BCPR7EIX plugs
Toyota Coil on plug setup with modified connectors

Driveline-
Aluminum one piece driveshaft
OS Giken triple plate clutch
OS Giken release bearing kit
Solid tranny mount
Hicas eliminated

Engine management-
HKS FCON
AEM 5 bar map sensor
AEM Air intake temp sensor
AEM Wideband
AEM Boost controller and gauge setup

Suspension
Powertrix sport street coilovers with swift spring upgrade
Adjustable arms and bushing upgrades throughout-not sure brands
18" SSR type C wheels

The bad news? Its got low oil pressure from the sound of it and has a hurt bottom end. I have yet to throw a gauge on it but its got a faint knocking sound around 3k RPM's. I purchased it knowing what I was getting myself into. Long story short, I acquired a spare built shortblock which I intend to freshen up and throw into this chassis. I plan to use the current heads which are already on the motor which is already in the car...after getting them inspected and cleaned up by a local machine shop.

For some of the older folks, you may recognize the ancient 6265 PTE turbo and the dinosaur HKS FCON engine management system. Needless to say this car was built a long time ago. The plan of attack for the time being is to get a good healthy motor into the car, then work on getting a more modern ECU into the car with some failsafes to ensure engine longevity and reliability. The current tune on the ECU has made 600whp but I plan to just get the car going again before changing more parts on it.

For now here are some pictures. The car is super fugly. But thats part of the appeal for me, once it gets mechanically squared away, she will be getting the full treatment. Full New paint, wheels, spoiler and proper rubber. It should be pristine when its all done and it will be very unique. When is the last time you heard of a single turbo VG powered z32?

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
real time progress...day by day

making markings to cut away for the new hood vents
f4cb8rN.jpg

Welp...no going back now! its been chopped out
Am66Rh0.jpg

exploring options...though I probably wont do this. The shape of the z32 is like a wedge..anything like a noticeable cowl will interrupt that shape.
DIIjae8.jpg

Sanding away the rock guard finish on the rear bumper...its gonna be a smooth as a baby's behind
No0ZLRL.jpg

qyFUKMs.jpg

and shes finally got her coat of primer
kZ22vpq.jpg

My retard buddy touching it while I wasn't there :D
r1VhlkM.jpg

geoT4W4.jpg

3E3UzXD.jpg

She'll be going in for paint in the next few days now. :)

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Time for some updates. Car is nearly all complete, new wheels are on. Just waiting for a few small details before i post official completed pictures. In the meantime, here are updates from previous progress.

Ended up getting a hood from a DSM and chopping the hump out.
zlpJmiV.jpg

vXi7dzK.jpg

XWzmTDo.jpg

nsKCaVX.jpg

The car was already primed so here are pictures showing the jambs and other areas getting sprayed. Here's a secret, this is NOT san marino blue. I ended up switching my color before we started spraying ;)
x7DKbDH.jpg

rXB7y6c.jpg

ypuAgTR.jpg

UQXXeJH.jpg

O7d7QkF.jpg

Please excuse the filthy engine bay. When its all cleaned up, everything will show well
WWyvkqm.jpg

EXgp7Rl.jpg

iFbpTWJ.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
So one of the final projects that needed attention was the headlights. At some point prior to my ownership they were disassembled and painted silver/chrome. Worst part was the paint was peeling inside the lens. :( Original color is black. I wanted OEM look, so i took them apart again.

removed off the car
aTSltZX.jpg

into the oven for about 8-10 mins at 250 degrees
cNTchJN.jpg

Q0EpYLp.jpg

sJZVL0e.jpg

current finish
QlRlYgy.jpg

after sanding prep
7nkBrSD.jpg

after drying it became a matte finish, still wet in this picture.
FExwDSu.jpg

Also i added a LED strip to the headlights. This video was taken before i disassembled the lights.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Gotta say ovening one's head lights is a pretty bold move. That's a pretty awesome trick, does it work on other ones or are these special? I thought that'd be friction welded.

depends on how they are assembled. In my case the lens was glass so i put them upside down in the pan otherwise i would have melted the housings. The lens was attached to the housing using butyl tape, once it became warm they came apart pretty easy after i removed them from the oven. Fun fact, these same headlights were purchased by Lamborghini and used in the last iteration of the Diablo :)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
oh mah god that blue looks uhhhhhhmazing. Can't wait for the finished pics. And awesome use of the dsm hump! :LOL:

Gotta say ovening one's head lights is a pretty bold move. That's a pretty awesome trick, does it work on other ones or are these special? I thought that'd be friction welded.

I did the same thing to my WRX headlights when I painted the housings! Great use of an oven. Bake your headlights and then bake a pizza!

UsuPelQ.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
we have reached the conclusion of this thread. car is 99% together, small bits and pieces which will need installed which ill do at my leisure time. For now, here are pictures of the final product. At some point ill take "nice" pictures these should do for now however. :)

Here is how i drove the car around last year..:LOL:
BSVjq6k.jpg

J9Gm9TD.jpg

hMZJShl.jpg

Ynux44S.jpg

FesKsnm.jpg

C0FzscP.jpg

LZttJS2.jpg

etHPYBL.jpg

3wyOOMc.jpg

Thread Info