🔧 BUILD Single Turbo 300ZX Build

General Information

This will likely be the last z32 car I pickup. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a few different varieties of z32 cars. Stock Twin setup, mild upgraded twin setup, v8 swap and now, in my opinion, the best(i hope) of them all, equal length single turbo setup.

The equal length tubular manifold plays a large role in the sound of the engine. One example I can cite is the RPS turbo manifold for the mkiv supra. It sounds delicious in large part due to its equal length headers.

I also single turbo'd my 3000GT and had similar results. It was the best sounding car I owned ever, till it burned down last year. :(

Here is a sound clip of it in all its glory. I got more vids but whats the point of uploading them now.

Not to get too far off topic, let me introduce you to my newest project. Its a 1990 300ZX which was originally TT that's got a custom made single turbo kit on it. Here is the whole list of goodies.

Engine-
87.5 mm wiseco pistons
Eagle esp high-beam rods
Clevite main and rod bearings
Super tech valvetrain
3 angle valves
Jwt r500 race cams
Under drive crank pulley
Solid aluminum mounts
New harness

Cooling-
Custom aluminum radiator
Custom modified piping and inlet
Electric fan()

Turbo kit-
Precision 6265 billet wheel turbo
Custom forward facing SS manifolds and up pipe
Custom downpipe and straight pipe single exhaust with borla muffler. All v-band.
Tial 44mm external gate v-band
Tial Q model Bov
Custom Garrett fmic core size 24"x12"x4.5"
Custom Single TB intake manifold
75mm strip TB with mustang 5.0 TPS sensor

Fuel-
FIC Hi Z Injectors. Unsure of size, probably 880cc.
Custom top mounted top feed rails
Fuel lab mini fuel pressure regulator
Dual Bosch 044 pumps, one in tank feeding external(kicks on under boost)
Stainless lines from tank and AN fittings throughout
AEM fuel filter
Painless fuel pump rewire kit

Ignition-
AEM Twinfire 4 channel ignition amplifier
NGK-BCPR7EIX plugs
Toyota Coil on plug setup with modified connectors

Driveline-
Aluminum one piece driveshaft
OS Giken triple plate clutch
OS Giken release bearing kit
Solid tranny mount
Hicas eliminated

Engine management-
HKS FCON
AEM 5 bar map sensor
AEM Air intake temp sensor
AEM Wideband
AEM Boost controller and gauge setup

Suspension
Powertrix sport street coilovers with swift spring upgrade
Adjustable arms and bushing upgrades throughout-not sure brands
18" SSR type C wheels

The bad news? Its got low oil pressure from the sound of it and has a hurt bottom end. I have yet to throw a gauge on it but its got a faint knocking sound around 3k RPM's. I purchased it knowing what I was getting myself into. Long story short, I acquired a spare built shortblock which I intend to freshen up and throw into this chassis. I plan to use the current heads which are already on the motor which is already in the car...after getting them inspected and cleaned up by a local machine shop.

For some of the older folks, you may recognize the ancient 6265 PTE turbo and the dinosaur HKS FCON engine management system. Needless to say this car was built a long time ago. The plan of attack for the time being is to get a good healthy motor into the car, then work on getting a more modern ECU into the car with some failsafes to ensure engine longevity and reliability. The current tune on the ECU has made 600whp but I plan to just get the car going again before changing more parts on it.

For now here are some pictures. The car is super fugly. But thats part of the appeal for me, once it gets mechanically squared away, she will be getting the full treatment. Full New paint, wheels, spoiler and proper rubber. It should be pristine when its all done and it will be very unique. When is the last time you heard of a single turbo VG powered z32?

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
water pump, lower cover and alternator installed
4pS1OO3.jpg

9Z1RVi9.jpg

Front covers installed, CAS and bracked installed and manifold installation starting along with front water pipes
87eDCVG.jpg

pZ6Luyk.jpg

1xIdLTy.jpg

Finally all sealed up and ready for primetime!
H3T47KH.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
You may be wondering when the wheels changed..well while i was waiting for the engine, I managed to sell the front bumper and the super lightweight SSR wheels. They didn't look stellar but man they were light as hell!
gqPVFl8.jpg

If it didn't look like a project car before, there's no denying it now
biggrin.gif
it had some JDM fenders on it which I took off. I prefer the clean-er look vs the jdm side markers.
FqrnogY.jpg

7pQI0Rj.jpg

I'm waiting for some misc parts..so while I had some downtime so I took the material off the donor door panel. I'll make my final judgement when the interior is all together on whether or not I like this black vinyl look. If it doesn't cut it, ill buy an OEM suede interior and swap it in. I like the suede in my other car a lot.

Donor Door panel that will be getting stripped
D3OqWuN.jpg

ucnDzHX.jpg

Current finish..yuck..tweed
17IugGZ.jpg

New setup...
sqYtsPG.jpg

IGlAjJz.jpg

Thoughts on how it looks compared to before? I think its an upgrade over the tweed but definitely not as nice as the OEM suede though. But considering I paid nothing for it, I'm happy. :D

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
The patient has been moved into the bay, ready for the transplant
uloqsUm.jpg

9PueJqh.jpg

Went in like butter...lets hope it never has to come out again
Nvk8AI7.jpg

Starting to button things up
5DdfTe8.jpg

RPS clutch ready for duty
XvqIdPJ.jpg

One of the few new parts I've purchased
rXBTUi4.jpg

Also replaced what was left of the old steering rack bushings
J2Xetsk.jpg

and here is the final product. Like I said, its not pretty, but IDGAF. I want it to be functional and just clean.
YH8J8er.jpg

Glad to report that the car successfully started up last night and made it's maiden voyage as well! I've put a handful of miles on it, its got something goofy goin on in the suspension and/or tire wheel setup. It shakes violently randomly while driving. I'll figure out what it is. Oh and the car needs PS bad. I need to put that on the to-do list amongst the other things...

-swap exhaust
-install PS
-install front bumper
-install sound deadening inside cockpit.

Initally the plan was to take it to the bodyshop rather quickly, but Im going to drive it around for a few months (with front bumper installed) so i don't miss summer 2020 with the car in the shop for the whole duration.

Also figured out how the aem truboost works...so controlling boost shouldn't be an issue. I wasn't sure if it was controlled thru the ECU or what. Thankfully its pretty simple to use.

So keep in mind, the car has a very tame exhaust on it at the moment. The car was an original cali car so it had to be ultra low key. I will drive it a bit more, do some WOT pulls(haven't done any yet) and decide if I want to keep this or install the labree. I'm heavily swaying towards the latter. This quiet exhaust is muffling the single turbo goodness.

hopefully thats a wrap for now!! Thanks for following, stay tuned for minor updates...mostly me driving the crap out of this car. :)

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
quick update:
I've been busy tinkering with the interior while daily driving the car. Got just over 500 city driven miles on it, so far so good! Also added a 2nd radiator fan on the front as a pusher. Got some bumper hardware so I can mount the bumper on finally. Also ordered an mr2 spyder PS pump, There are 3 main mechanical items that need to be done then the car is 100% complete.

-install electric PS pump/lines
-install new exhaust

Once those 2 are done I will button up the interior 100% with the vinyl. I already swapped out all the old cluster bulbs with LEDS and the cluster itself with OEM gauge faces. Installed a radio and double din. Its not all complete yet but ill post pics when its all done.

Oh and the car is running 12.5lbs of boost, seems to be making somewhere around 320whp according to the butt dyno. The real fun will start when I swap exhausts, the current one is way too tame. But I enjoy driving the car a lot, especially since its summer time with the tops off.

granny shifting and not double clutching like i should...:LOL:

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
As mentioned earlier, one of the last few mechanical items left to do were get a functional power steering setup on the car. The car desperately needed it. The wheel was very hard to turn and frankly, dailying the car with no PS was becoming annoying.

MR2 sypder pump assembly. Electric and the reservoir is built into 1 unit.
Rmfp9R2.jpg

After getting the pump in my posession, i proceeded to purchase all the fittings. Initally the plan was to get a line made at a local hydraulic shop but when they quoted me $300 just to make the line, I said no thanks.
v0pzmR9.jpg

Q2YDlI9.jpg

VylB4Tk.jpg

I picked the driver side in front of the wheel to mount the pump. It was close to the rack and nothing else was in the way. Filling fluid with the bumper on can be a challenge but thankfully im able to access the reservoir from under the engine bay. I can use a hose to fill the fluid if needed.

Here my friend and I are taking rough measurements for a bracket that he fabbed up so I could mount the pump
9YkXHz4.jpg

Pump mounted
eG9I1Np.jpg

AFter getting all the bits and pieces I assembled the high pressure line
JBpZHTO.jpg

Then the last thing to do was setup all the wiring. I purchased a 60A relay and using online diagrams wired it up.
u43mr8o.jpg

The finished product! I just got it done, went for a drive, it works well. SO happy i have PS now. Next I will cover the wires up with the plastic loom and then its a wrap!
hHto3dL.jpg

Thread Info