🔧 BUILD Single Turbo 300ZX Build

General Information

This will likely be the last z32 car I pickup. I've had the pleasure of experiencing a few different varieties of z32 cars. Stock Twin setup, mild upgraded twin setup, v8 swap and now, in my opinion, the best(i hope) of them all, equal length single turbo setup.

The equal length tubular manifold plays a large role in the sound of the engine. One example I can cite is the RPS turbo manifold for the mkiv supra. It sounds delicious in large part due to its equal length headers.

I also single turbo'd my 3000GT and had similar results. It was the best sounding car I owned ever, till it burned down last year. :(

Here is a sound clip of it in all its glory. I got more vids but whats the point of uploading them now.

Not to get too far off topic, let me introduce you to my newest project. Its a 1990 300ZX which was originally TT that's got a custom made single turbo kit on it. Here is the whole list of goodies.

Engine-
87.5 mm wiseco pistons
Eagle esp high-beam rods
Clevite main and rod bearings
Super tech valvetrain
3 angle valves
Jwt r500 race cams
Under drive crank pulley
Solid aluminum mounts
New harness

Cooling-
Custom aluminum radiator
Custom modified piping and inlet
Electric fan()

Turbo kit-
Precision 6265 billet wheel turbo
Custom forward facing SS manifolds and up pipe
Custom downpipe and straight pipe single exhaust with borla muffler. All v-band.
Tial 44mm external gate v-band
Tial Q model Bov
Custom Garrett fmic core size 24"x12"x4.5"
Custom Single TB intake manifold
75mm strip TB with mustang 5.0 TPS sensor

Fuel-
FIC Hi Z Injectors. Unsure of size, probably 880cc.
Custom top mounted top feed rails
Fuel lab mini fuel pressure regulator
Dual Bosch 044 pumps, one in tank feeding external(kicks on under boost)
Stainless lines from tank and AN fittings throughout
AEM fuel filter
Painless fuel pump rewire kit

Ignition-
AEM Twinfire 4 channel ignition amplifier
NGK-BCPR7EIX plugs
Toyota Coil on plug setup with modified connectors

Driveline-
Aluminum one piece driveshaft
OS Giken triple plate clutch
OS Giken release bearing kit
Solid tranny mount
Hicas eliminated

Engine management-
HKS FCON
AEM 5 bar map sensor
AEM Air intake temp sensor
AEM Wideband
AEM Boost controller and gauge setup

Suspension
Powertrix sport street coilovers with swift spring upgrade
Adjustable arms and bushing upgrades throughout-not sure brands
18" SSR type C wheels

The bad news? Its got low oil pressure from the sound of it and has a hurt bottom end. I have yet to throw a gauge on it but its got a faint knocking sound around 3k RPM's. I purchased it knowing what I was getting myself into. Long story short, I acquired a spare built shortblock which I intend to freshen up and throw into this chassis. I plan to use the current heads which are already on the motor which is already in the car...after getting them inspected and cleaned up by a local machine shop.

For some of the older folks, you may recognize the ancient 6265 PTE turbo and the dinosaur HKS FCON engine management system. Needless to say this car was built a long time ago. The plan of attack for the time being is to get a good healthy motor into the car, then work on getting a more modern ECU into the car with some failsafes to ensure engine longevity and reliability. The current tune on the ECU has made 600whp but I plan to just get the car going again before changing more parts on it.

For now here are some pictures. The car is super fugly. But thats part of the appeal for me, once it gets mechanically squared away, she will be getting the full treatment. Full New paint, wheels, spoiler and proper rubber. It should be pristine when its all done and it will be very unique. When is the last time you heard of a single turbo VG powered z32?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
and thats a pretty looking engine bay, but I have absolutely no desire to mess with TT z32's. They are a nightmare to get around especially in the engine bay.
3 worst activities is doing a turbo replacement with the engine in place, Bolt on the back of the alternster thst nobody replaces. Passenger side stock downpipe removal.

I had to cut up a 10 mil wrench to do that last job.

My friend has a VH45de engine in his track focused 300zx with electric power steering if you need any help finding what works. He had a manual rack but sticky 275 tires on the track made it really tiring to drive.

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
That girdle built into the main caps is amazing.

The car is fantastic, dig the fab work.

The OEM configuration of the girdle/main caps is a limiting factor for the VG motor. I think people can safely make about 700hp before it gives way. I have no intentions of making that kind of power but there is an alternate solution provided by mazworx which converts the 2 bolt bottom end to a beefier 4 bolt bottom with billet hardware. Pretty cool piece of engineering.

Reactions: SleeperLS

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Some progress today, not as much as I hoped but the bipolar weather wasn't exactly cooperating either.

First order of business was taking the rear bumper off the donor car. The bumper currently on the car is hideous and trash.

On that same note, the rear end is coming together. I picked up the spoiler of my choice, OEM 94+ wing. Not the most popular choice but I think with the end result it will look the part. I would love to get a diffuser out back, if i end up getting a lip for the 99 bumper I will probably do the diffuser for sure. Spoiler is just mocked. Also need to get a new 3rd brake light.

Firewall has been scuffed as well as the driver side of the engine bay. Plan is to give it another once over to make sure I get all the nooks and crannies
gvDNmjn.jpg

5uFbvTC.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
At the bodyshop watching my painter mixing the magic ingredients..
LMQYgzF.jpg

The connection is complete
FWFgT0n.jpg

and now I finally feel like I'm at the midway point of this build..! I actually sprayed it yesterday. NOTE: I did not use clear coat in the engine bay. Due to the heat it turns yellow. So this is just primer and basecoat. It wont have that shine and sparkle like the paint will on the rest of the car, but as mentioned again, im not one for pretty engine bays. As long as its clean and functional, im good with it.
r8aIqwv.jpg

prCIkd2.jpg

Nmsb3Us.jpg

After the paint dried over night, I went back today and began to put the engine bay back together. Spent my whole morning putting this thing back together. Man this shit adds up on the clock quick. I keep telling myself I'm done with cars and these builds but I keep doing this shit over and over again. fawwwk. I managed to finally remove the stickers on the radiator support and scuff it as well. It will get painted with the rest of the car. This is as good as she's gonna get for now. While I wait I will scuff down and clean up the coolant reservoir and catch cans and also flat black paint the plenum. Ordered a complete gasket kit, hoping i get it this week.

kyNXdYG.jpg

Ef9cjEP.jpg

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Payload arrived from z1 motorsports
WdWgi0q.jpg

had some time since im waiting. Did 2 things..reassembled the heads since they came back from the machine shop and also painted the VC's and plenum. Not looking for anything fancy under the hood..just want clean and functional as mentioned before.
t0VhF7V.jpg

After scuffing
5CSnyjP.jpg

End result-low key. Still ugly, maybe later down the line ill get a nice one
QCA2Fne.jpg

IN4bWAc.jpg

Wanted to inspect the oil pump..didn't like what I found. Its going in the trash. The cover is scored, I don't think that's normal. New OEM pump OTW.
ujTKLIo.jpg

V1gTCyw.jpg

Heads are back. Still waiting for the bottom end. I began reassembly immediately.
9uX3qPE.jpg

kuC8YVl.jpg

W6ZfsuW.jpg

fEpB81f.jpg

Heads are together for the most part. Cam gears and rear covers will be installed and tightened down to spec after they are bolted to the block
ju7aahG.jpg

Here is my workspace. Not ideal by any means but glad I have a spot to do stuff. I don't think I've lost anything yet...but we'll find out when full blown reassembly begins lol
YiFrURx.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Im almost wondering now if that non harmonic crank pulley had something to do with it. Only reason I cracked the pump open was because it was a low mileage oem pump.
Hmmm could be ratting the pump around a little more than it's supposed to! I think some people underestimate the importance of good balance.

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
May 6, 2014
Chicago
Well I got the motor last week..its been a busy week. After getting delivery I had to order a few odds and ends so its not in the car and running yet but im pretty close.
smile.gif

Picking it up from the machine shop...
llx3zWm.jpg

Loaded up..and en route to the shop
I0ITmJf.jpg

qLbHQf1.jpg

lG6T4VD.jpg

QLx70Oz.jpg

I wasted no time and immediately got to work..new oil pump and strainer installed
fXNNfti.jpg

Water pipe Installed
bixKBTR.jpg

Rear Main installed
OCPQwGr.jpg

Oil Pan is sealed. Bottom of the engine is complete.
eslZXUW.jpg

JoRARDq.jpg

FJMebIF.jpg

I was slightly delayed because i had to buy new headstud washers. the ARP set isn't quite up to the task.
DFWEhqF.jpg

IlUjgxH.jpg

Heads are bolted down. ARP studs torqued down to 100ft/lbs with lube. Once I had the heads on, I threw the intake plenum on and the fuel injectors as well.
FLms3FN.jpg

drqyFHp.jpg

The exhaust valve covers dont use gaskets, straight silicone. I hope it doesn't leak
LN2SLFf.jpg

WVi65eJ.jpg

VTC solenoids installed
mw8A0tp.jpg

Starting to look like a motor again. Everything on the top of the motor is complete. Plenum, injectors, VTC, valve covers, etc...now the front of the engine is left.
m1ysc7c.jpg

Installed timing backing plates, torqued down cam gears, installed new timing belt pullies and tensioner
ibglV1S.jpg

Thread Info