Drag to reposition cover

BUILD Single Turbo 300ZX Build

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
next up is sorting the coilover setup. Its got a good setup on it but it rides like a$$. It shouldn't be hard, the whole setup is practically brand new. Then its time to mount the proper exhaust system on it FINALLY!
What is happening with the suspension? Most people set them way too firm on the adjusters.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Intel Intel

my black car has teins and its one of the best coilover equipped cars I've ridden in period. It rides like a cloud.

This car supposedly has a superior coilover setup. Powertrix with swift springs. Pretty sure 8k. They look brand new. Previous owner purchased them shortly before selling the car. It just rides like shit. It doesn' t absorb bumps well. Badly paved roads i feel every nook and cranny. What i have checked is that they are on the softest setting. Preload seems to be OK from the 1 coil I checked, i was able to rotate the spring with slight force. I messaged Charles Park from powertrix he's willing to help to get me sorted out.

However I am open to suggestions.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Intel Intel

my black car has teins and its one of the best coilover equipped cars I've ridden in period. It rides like a cloud.

This car supposedly has a superior coilover setup. Powertrix with swift springs. Pretty sure 8k. They look brand new. Previous owner purchased them shortly before selling the car. It just rides like shit. It doesn' t absorb bumps well. Badly paved roads i feel every nook and cranny. What i have checked is that they are on the softest setting. Preload seems to be OK from the 1 coil I checked, i was able to rotate the spring with slight force. I messaged Charles Park from powertrix he's willing to help to get me sorted out.

However I am open to suggestions.
Charles will get you sorted, being in full soft wont exactly lead to a smoother ride as it can let the springs do all the work. 8k front isnt particularly high for these cars, although you could go softer. Was worried they had you on like a 12k stanceboy spring setup.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
So one thing thats been bothering me since the day I got this car going is that its always driven real rough. Almost like driving a box of rocks. Initially with no powersteering and solid motor mounts and solid transmission mount it was real rough. The enjoyment of driving the car as a smooth touring car just wasn't there.

The power steering and the coilover adjustment were all done in an effort to make the car a more tolerable daily driver and just a more forgiving car in general. Today I removed this guy off the car:

MY GOD. This is what I was missing, most definitely the missing link. The car feels like a NEW car. All the vibrations and harshness is 90% gone. I ordered a hardened rubber trans mount along with polyurethane motor mounts, but I'm going to return the poly motor mounts because im very satisfied with the drastic difference the new trans mount has made. I'm more excited than ever now to remake this Z into a comfortable touring and fun car. BTW driving with the tops off these night weather nights is heaven...

I spoke to Charles at Powertrix and the missing link for the coilovers is the spring rates. I have 8/6k. Those are recommended for autocross/performance driving. What I need to get are 7/5k springs. That should get the car to ride like a cloud. I'm going to see if anyone is interested in buying my swift springs.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Now I will begin the interior saga. One of my most favorite things about this car are the fairlady Z JDM Recaros. The driving position is just awesome and it just adds to the experience. I wanted to compliment the nice seats with a great feeling shifter and a nice steering wheel also.

I've been chipping away at it since before the car was even running, trying to knock stuff out whenever I got a chance. Now that I'm 99% squared away with the mechanical stuff, it was time to focus my attention 100% on the interior.

here is what I began with. Tweed. Lots of it. Plus ugly carbon overlay on the center console and even more nasty carbon fiber stick on the bezel.

Pods had seen better days.

The car came with some ugly(IMO) white faced gauges

First order of business was stripping vinyl covered dash from my parts car, which has long gone to the crusher.

Also managed to grab a triple pod pillar cause I was going to move the gauges in the center anyways

The vinyl isn't my first choice but it was economical and I really hate tweed. Eventually I think ill get the interior innovations suede Alcantara kit.

Unfortunately not all the pieces were wrapped in vinyl so I had to make a trip to Joann fabrics and luckily i was able to find something matching.

Pulled the glovebox out as it was one of the pieces that wasn't redone. Also a perfect opportunity to move the arm truboost and wbo2 gauges.

AFter removing the latch and lock

Removing the tweed with a heatgun

cutting the new piece

end product

Out with the old

While I was at it, I yanked the white faced gauges and installed black faced with LED upgrade

And while I had the dash apart, I don't know if i mentioned it but I got a solid shifter bracket from the classifieds. One of my favorite mods. the Shifter on the car feels BOSS. Absolutely love it. Here is the picture of the newly wrapped glovebox along with the double din

Just got some radio from amazon, i don't ever plan to turn it on. My orchestra is the rear tailpipes and turbo. Its nice that it came with a backup camera though.

So in this picture i have all the tweed out of the interior. Its mostly all together but very dirty. Now the most satisfying part, to clean it all up and make it pop.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I got a nice NRG wheel and swapped the horn button for a hood emblem i purchased a while back. I think it came out awesome.

Wasting no time..

Also ordered some interior innovation products..new blue shift boot and e-brake boot

which brings us to today. I'm just waiting on the clock delete plate to come in later this week but 95% of the interior is now done. Still missing a few misc trim pieces that cant be seen in pics and i need to button up some of the vinyl here and there but here is the new look. I love my new cockpit.:rock:

I will get new mats eventually also, or in the meantime steam clean the current ones to get rid of some of the stains. Also need to clean the dash to get rid of that glue stain. The little missing chunk will eventually get fixed when I get the suede/alcantera dash. What do you guys think? I plan to have the exhaust mounted this week then I wait for the bodywork.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Admin
Reaction score
That is a MASSIVE improvement. That carbon fiber in the center was so so bad .

Keep the updates coming. Love it.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Holy crap that looks so much better. I love how this is coming along.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
update time: Been daily driving the car the whole summer and its been a delight.

Here is the Labree exhaust(which I sold BTW) when I first installed it. It was nice but sounded too much like the current setup, so it had to go.

Modifying bits and pieces to make it work

It was short lived

Here is version 1.5 of the exhaust :) and it sounds glorious!

Here are some candids of the car after its first ever wash given by yours truly. It actually looks clean, poor thing hasn't been washed since I took ownership of it in March/April..

Its actually got a little pop to it

Shortly thereafter I began swapping the 8/6 springs for 6/5. Unfortunately, I'm not happy. Illl be selling these powertrix coilovers for much nicer riding(for the street) Tiens.

I also rolled the rear fenders while I was at it and test fitted the new wheels.
Rears will need some massaging to fit but should be doable.

Fronts are flush

Some randoms..in all its ugliness. Soon this will be a thing of the past.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
and finally just recently I have begun installing the cosmetic items onto the car. Wanted to get it out of the way so it would be 1 less thing the bodyshop would have to do.

Got a rear diffuser and 94+ OEM spoiler. Took too long to get these mounted...much longer than I had anticipated.

Finally after some trimming I put on the JDM bumper i ordered a whileee ago

Last thing I'll be putting on is the side skirts. Hoping to get those out of the way this weekend. Since the weather is now starting to cool off a bit, the car should be going to the bodyshop soon for its final makeover.

and here is the current exhaust sound. I ordered dual 4" tips and I'll be welding some piping to them(custom axleback). Should look awesome when done. I loveee the sound.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
so last time I left off, i began installing some of the body panels that I purchased. The only thing not pictured were the side skirts. So lets pick up from last time.

here is how the car sat

as mentioned, i purchased tien Flex z coilovers. Im much happier with the ride quality vs the powertrix. Surprisingly they came in early. Out with the old, in with the new.

These guys were put up for sale and are gone :)

The next major hurdle was setting the alignment in the rear so my wheels sat flush with the fenders. Here I am doing an alignment and adding some camber to achieve the result I was looking for. Once the paint is done, I may do some final tweaks but I'm content with how its going to sit with the new wheel setup.

Off topic, went on a little cruise with my other Z and happened to snap this pic

Final thing that needed to be done was the exhaust. I purchased tips a while back and finally had them installed.

Once it gets proper wheels on it, 10.5's out back along with everything else in place that ass should pop

Mook

Mr. Manager
Admin
Reaction score
I cant fucking wait for paint. That color is going to look amazing. Thanks so much for continuing to update us...I love this thread.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
No problem buddy...someones gotta finish what they start...and im that guy :D

IDAFC21

WOW.
Donating Member
Reaction score
This is how you do a build thread. Love the constant updates. Cant wait to see it come back from paint!

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Work is well underway on this car as well :)

All the glass and trims being removed

At some point the rear hatch was resealed and not properly. This will need to get cut out. Aside from that, California car FTW

Thats where we are for now. Stay tuned for more.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
work is moving along..a bit slower because my car isn't a huge priority, but progress nonetheless. As of today, its fully sanded all around and ready for primer.

purchased a twinZ front lip to match the side skirts. Hard to see in the picture but once complete, it will be painted gloss black along with the fog light ducts and hood vents and rear diffuser

Front bumper and lights have been removed and hood prep has begun. I purchased some vents to cover up the DIY hood vents

here is the current setup

New hood vents. Nothing fancy just from amazon, the sizing matches pretty well

Rear bumper also removed and just about ready for primer now

were going to make a mild cowl to replace the hump in the hood.

that's all for now, but the good stuff should be coming soon :cool:

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you, literally everything gets stripped and removed from the car. High probability of stuff getting lost, but so far so good. These guys do this for a living, I gotta have some faith in them :LOL:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Admin
Reaction score
I legit can't wait to see how this comes out.

OP
NOMIEZVR4

NOMIEZVR4

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
just some extra rice. Crude test fitment just to get the idea across. I'm going to get the inside of the housings painted black FYI, someone prior to me painted them silver. Along with this strip ill probably swap the exterior bulbs to LED's as well to hopefully bring it somewhat up to date.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Are you converting those to hids? I couldn't believe what a difference it was to just clean the inside of those projectors even with stock bulbs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom